Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Whether it works with updated game files, other mods or whether the author wanted to go in a different direction is immaterial. The old file will work in the Collections they are included in and that's the point.

Why should you be interested in updating your mods if you can't prevent any previous version from being used? It just doesn't make sense. This little train of thought shows me how poorly the concept has been thought out

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This little train of thought shows me how poorly the concept has been thought out

Unless...its very well thought out and Robin uses all of this as an excuse to simply grab as many mods as he can, why else would he take away our "delete" function 3 days before even telling us he did it on purpose. And then he gives an ultimatum and we all need to pretend its "grace".

Actions speak louder than words, and hes actions are very clear.

Mod lists = grab all mods.

Ultimatum = keep only people who are compliant.

If this wouldn't be the case, then why are the no other options for us to choose from like remove only a few specific files, why the hostile act of 'surrender or nuke', and why removing delete function in secret so we couldn't even react, if he was truly honest and did in fact do this all "for the benefit of the users" he would have told us all about it a month in advance before removing the delete function so we could have chosen for ourselves what the best option would be and which specific files we did not want them to have and which files we wanted to keep on Nexus, instead he puts us in a trap with an ultimatum.

The option to nuke and have a modder remove all their mods instead of only a few specific files, not to mention all those youtube videos and other links referring to the mod pages will all be broken as well, so how is any of this to the benefit of the users exactly...

So this whole facade that its all done "for the betterment of the users, the community" falls flat on its face, its just an excuse.

Edited by Guest

Unless...its very well thought out and Robin uses all of this as an excuse to simply grab as many mods as he can, why else would he take away our "delete" function 3 days before even telling us he did it on purpose. And then he gives an ultimatum and we all need to pretend its "grace".

Actions speak louder than words, and hes actions are very clear.

Mod lists = grab all mods.

Ultimatum = kick out the people disagree, keep only people who are compliant.

If this wouldn't be the case, then why are the no other options for us to choose from like remove only a few specific files, why the hostile act of 'surrender or nuke'.

For me, that doesn't change the fact that the planned technical implementation and all previous explanations about it are rubbish. The chosen approach neither makes sense nor is it even professional in its approach.

Whether it works with updated game files, other mods or whether the author wanted to go in a different direction is immaterial. The old file will work in the Collections they are included in and that's the point.

Why should you be interested in updating your mods if you can't prevent any previous version from being used? It just doesn't make sense.

Plus, the assumption is being made that the end user will only use the collection mods and not add other mods that may or may not work with the older content in the collection. Additionally, to Nexusmods contention that Collections are just trying to attract newbies and novices; then a better approach would be to have a dozen or so basic setups that are are rock solid and curated & maintained by Nexusmods itself allowing novices to learn the basic principles of load lists, conflict management etc.

However, if your intent is to monetarize the site, and/or increase it's sales value, then the obvious first step is to take ownership of all the mods, therein.

Why should you be interested in updating your mods if you can't prevent any previous version from being used? It just doesn't make sense.

Plus, the assumption is being made that the end user will only use the collection mods and not add other mods that may or may not work with the older content in the collection. Additionally, to Nexusmods contention that Collections are just trying to attract newbies and novices; then a better approach would be to have a dozen or so basic setups that are are rock solid and curated & maintained by Nexusmods itself allowing novices to learn the basic principles of load lists, conflict management etc.

However, if your intent is to monetarize the site, and/or increase it's sales value, then the obvious first step is to take ownership of all the mods, therein.

And any mods uploaded in the future. Including lists....... Wonder how that's gonna work out. :D You can't delete your broken list, you can only archive it.......

But, after a couple weeks of watching all this, nothing is going to change. Not enough folks are pulling their work to even make a blip on Nexus radar. Therefore, they have no motivation at all to alter course. They will simply wait for the deadline to pass, and the furor to die down, (which it will) and be on their merry way. At that point, they can simply shut down any further debate, as the deadline has passed.... no reason to allow it any more, everyone that is still here, is locked in.

It IS all about the money. Now, is it something that is going to be long term? Or, is Nexus gonna sell, and Robin then retire? Were I in his position, that would be REAL tempting.....

Why should you be interested in updating your mods if you can't prevent any previous version from being used? It just doesn't make sense. This little train of thought shows me how poorly the concept has been thought out

Oh please. Nobody stops working on their mods because a small percentage of people are still using an old version.

Oh please. Nobody stops working on their mods because a small percentage of people are still using an old version.

So far that has had no meaning. Older versions could easily be removed. If someone was using an older version, their problem wasn't mine. Nobody could force me to continue supporting an older version.

So far that has had no meaning. Older versions could easily be removed. If someone was using an older version, their problem wasn't mine. Nobody could force me to continue supporting an older version.

And you still won't be forced into supporting an older version. The curator will need to provide support.

And you still won't be forced into supporting an older version. The curator will need to provide support.

That's not the point at all. But I can see that some understand, some can't and others don't want to