Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I don't believe the Wayback Machine holds the files from Nexus Mods, just the pages. You'd have to give them direct links to the files for them to archive them.

That may or may not be true, I'm not going to go through every page to find out, skyrim alone has about 535 thousand captures associated with it. I have found instances....on Nexusmods, of people finding old files from wayback machine from other long past users and re-uploading them to here. Or, re-uploading to here files from other websites that old users no longer frequent.

I was more or less just showing a well known instance of internet archiving as precedent. That is pretty relevant to this topic. I mean the internet in and of itself is basically an archive, "Don't archive my files!" Is basically saying "Don't internet on the internet!"

So, again, if you got your choice between uploading your mod or getting a tattoo, get a tattoo of your mod, it'll be less permanent LOL

yes we all know lol - and tell us how often you plan to repeat that! thank you! in this case i can put you on my ignore list right in time. thanks!

are you somehow sponsored to bring this thread over the 100 pages ? lol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

They don't, actually. Licensing a platform to distribute and/or display your content does not convey all of your rights in that content any more than licensing a copy of a game gives you any rights to the game's IP.

Most social media platforms recognize this fact, and provide users the ability to not only edit their content, but permanently delete it.

if it would be this way (social media owns...) it would mean one stupid or unintended upload can ruin your privacy, your job and your life permanently and nexusmods could say: sorry, you accepted our tos, not our problem. we all know this is pure nonsense and not legal at all. nexusmods steers into big touble if they do not grant an uploader the possibility to delete his content as a hoster for different legal reasons. a deletion option MUST exist for legal reasons! and it is not the responsibility of nexusmods to decide about that and to cut deletion options this rigid way if they do not want to get in severe legal trouble - as long as they do not have to save data to fullfill legal rules and regulations. but this is another story and another pool of data not in reach for users or collections. the problem is - this will be too late for modders who already nuked their accounts until the 5th auf aug.

in the meantime i would say they did the right thing in time if they found a trustful place to upload their mods without this nexumods hassle. nexusmods currently isn`t this safe place.

I would point out, that one stupid post from a decade ago can and HAS ruined a few careers. Folks are dredging up stuff some random guy posted 15 years ago, and the torch and pitchfork crowd are ready to roast him alive. Happens way too often here in the states.....

They were clear from the start that the "archive rather than delete" was not changing. They might give a bit on the "delete all or delete nothing" ultimatum. We should hear Monday or Tuesday.

And George Bush was clear from the start as well. "No new taxes." That didn't stop him from doing exactly that though.
I'm confused. Are you saying that you think Nexus will change their minds and allow authors to continue deleting mods in the future?

I am merely saying that it is *possible*. Personally, I think it is unlikely in the extreme. :D

Guest deleted34304850

"stop hate"

Offering up a different point of view shouldn't be a reason for hate, too bad you're not sticking around for this answer, theres irony in it.

so many posts, so many words, so much absence of anything insightful, original or worth reading.

"The Wayback Machine began archiving cached web pages in May 1996, with the goal of making the service public five years later.

Internet Archive founders Brewster Kahle and Bruce Gilliat launched the Wayback Machine in San Francisco, California in October 2001, primarily to address the problem of website content vanishing whenever it gets changed or when a website is shut down. The service enables users to see archived versions of web pages across time, which the archive calls a "three-dimensional index". Kahle and Gilliat created the machine hoping to archive the entire Internet and provide "universal access to all knowledge" Your mods might even be there, too.

Yes, and much of it is illegal.

Posting something to the internet does not relinquish one's rights in the IP of that material. They get by with it because most people don't have the time, money, or bandwidth to chase it down and assert their rights in said material.

I sometimes see entire articles taken from publishers with paywalls replicated in forums. That some people will copy such material does not make it legal.

ETA: And frankly, even where no paywall is involved, copying rather than linking to the original deprives the original host site of the traffic.

"stop hate"

Offering up a different point of view shouldn't be a reason for hate, too bad you're not sticking around for this answer, theres irony in it.

so many posts, so many words, so much absence of anything insightful, original or worth reading.

Maybe true, maybe true,

Its weird that you think belittling others posts is the way to go here. You don't have to agree with me, I'm fine with that, but if you could offer up something insightful, original, and worth reading they might not lock this thread right away. That thing you and I are doing right now is called devolving, its not helping.

"stop hate"

Maybe true, maybe true,

Its weird that you think belittling others posts is the way to go here. You don't have to agree with me, I'm fine with that, but if you could offer up something insightful, original, and worth reading they might not lock this thread right away. That thing you and I are doing right now is called devolving, its not helping.

In all reality, none of this is helping. Sure, folks are able to blow off steam, but, that is about the ONLY thing it accomplishes... Well, maybe along with gauging the level of interest in this particular topic. As this is the only thread I am aware of, that is available to anyone on the site, the number of folks posting here is quite literally, insignificant. Nexus will just sit back, and maybe watch, (haven't seen staff in this thread for a while now) and let all this blow over. Which it will. I suspect by august 10th, this will have become a non-issue, unless something untoward happens, and a majority of the major mod authors decide to pull their mods at the last minute.

But, I'm not holding my breath on that. I fully expect a lot of 'nothing' to happen.

Nexus' claim to fame is Bethesda Games, that's WHY the Nexus started up back around 2003 or so.
People were putting their Bethesda mods up on all the mod hosting sites there was.
Nexus came along and and was just another mod hosting site.
But people eventually started putting everything on the Nexus (Before it was called the Nexus)

Then the Nexus went offline and ALL of those Mods we had consolidated into ONE SITE, instead of Spreading them out over SEVERAL SITES, disappeared overnight

It is not a good thing to have everything on ONE WEBSITE, because Websites Come and Go, as was witnessed back in the early 2000s with the Nexus w/e it was called.

This is why it's better to spread mods out to other sites as backup

Go to the Main Page, and click "Show all 1,343 Games"

Now click SORT BY MOD COUNT.

In the very first row you have Skyrim at 66.3K mods, at the end of the row, the mod count drops to 6.5K

Now scroll all the way down, 344 games have ONE Mod, 144 game have TWO Mods, 104 games have THREE Mods etc....there's even two games with ZERO mods

Nexus is more of a Niche site, a Bethesda Modding Site Mainly, that's how they got started with the Content WE MADE for Bethesda Games over the years.

I was looking for Saints Row and Just Cause Mods last night,
There's a total of 13 Mods split between Just Cause 2, 3 and 4 on the Nexus

However, there's a Just Cause modding site that has a truckload of Mods, same with Saints Row and No Man's Sky

The Nexus might be the first place I LOOK for Mods, but not my LAST STOP for a lot of mods out there, which is a good thing.

Due to the nebulous nature of the Internet, it is best to have mods on as many modding hosts as possible.

2) following the TOS. The TOS that was changed before it was announced a week later they will own all works forever after X date? That is the equivalent of you agree to rent an apartment. you moving in on the ground you dont own the home. Then the apartment then goes "by the way anything inside this home is now our property regardless if you purchased/made it else where then put it inside this apartment. your just renting it now. we updated the contract as it says we can add this is we want to without telling you we changed anything"

Cause that is what NEXUS is doing.

This is an apt analogy.

After allowing MAs to upload creations while maintaining a lot of rights over them, they're suddenly stripping some of those rights - and apparently did so without warning.

MAs have historically held the right to withhold permission from other modders who want to use their work in a derivative creation - but apparently that philosophy is abandoned when it comes to modpack/collection curators.

I find this extremely disappointing.

"Due to the nebulous nature of the Internet, it is best to have mods on as many modding hosts as possible."

From an information availability standpoint I can't agree more, probably half of my mods come from offsite. Also if you're really into modding you're probably really into searching and know how to do that expediently. So, a one stop shop isn't really a big deal. There is a ton of information in these comment sections though, its nice to have that all in one spot. Generally speaking a lot of people are pretty helpful too, even if its with issues not directly related to their specific mod. In some instances the community of knowledge built here is more valuable than having the file immediately handy. I now realize i can build some of these files myself, got that from the comments section lol.