Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I am not a modder, that said, it continues to amaze me the skill, time, care modders put into their work. From the simplest quality of life mods to entire game worlds, modders are not just repurposing existing assets, they are adding to games in ways the original developers never conceived.

Nexusmods do not own that intellectual/creative brilliance, and to think they do is the epitome of arrogance. Although the collection's concept is a valid and exciting new feature, their arguments for requiring ownership in perpetuity of mods are weak. Nexumods designed their entire site to accommodate mod authors to update, patch, and/or delete their work as their particular game world evolved with developer updates and or other modders improving their work. To now attempt to lock down these mods thru this half-baked collection proposal is to actually deny the very foundation that Nexusmods is built on, why?

The simple truth is that if modders can maintain their work on are regular basis thru patches and/or re-releases, why can't a given curator maintain their collection in the same fashion. From my perspective, Nexusmods by locking down mods and the exclusivity of Collections to Vortex has an another, as yet, unrevealed agenda.

What that agenda looks like remains to be seen, but guaranteed it will not make the community any freer.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I full understand this change and the reasons behind. I do not agree at all with it. It's sad.

I will continue downloading, using, endorsing, giving thanks and feedback, individually. I don't want to lose the contact with the modder.

To all who are leaving, if you want, please let us know where are you going if possible.

I will remain in Nexus for a while. Vortex is a fantastic mod manager. There are wonderful modders here. Some of them will go, some will stay. Newer will come. But there are mods truly unique that cannot be replaced by anyone. We will miss you.

Thank you all.

Guest deleted34304850

look at the end of one sentence "mod authors are free to do what they've always done" followed immediately by "except".

that, there, is the problem.

:)

There's no lock-down. Mod Authors are free to do what they've always done. Except delete old file because those old files are important to several of the features Nexus is implementing to try and attract novice users.

Old files that contain their intellectual content, and may or may not work with updated game files and or other mods, or the author simply wants to go in another direction with his/her content.

In what universe is it ok to literally take ownership of someone else's creations, when Nexusmods don't actually own any of the assets that made the mod or intellectual property that created it?

look at the end of one sentence "mod authors are free to do what they've always done" followed immediately by "except".

:smile:

There's always been an "except". First one came from Beth. Question is...(see below)

Old files that contain their intellectual content, and may or may not work with updated game files and or other mods, or the author simply wants to go in another direction with his/her content.

In what universe is it ok to literally take ownership of someone else's creations, when Nexusmods don't actually own any of the assets that made the mod or intellectual property that created it?

Whether it works with updated game files, other mods or whether the author wanted to go in a different direction is immaterial. The old file will work in the Collections they are included in and that's the point.

The "take ownership" bit is debatable (since it has been extensively debated for the last week or so), but as for whether it is "ok"? The question is...does the TOS that Nexus implemented which gives them an unlimited right to distribute hold any legal weight? If it does, then what they are doing is ok. If it doesn't then what they are doing is not ok. I assume they got a legal opinion before starting all this, but no one has gotten a contrary legal opinion yet.

Guest deleted34304850

There's always been an "except". First one came from Beth. Question is...(see below)

Whether it works with updated game files, other mods or whether the author wanted to go in a different direction is immaterial. The old file will work in the Collections they are included in and that's the point.

The "take ownership" bit is debatable (since it has been extensively debated for the last week or so), but as for whether it is "ok"? The question is...does the TOS that Nexus implemented which gives them an unlimited right to distribute hold any legal weight? If it does, then what they are doing is ok. If it doesn't then what they are doing is not ok. I assume they got a legal opinion before starting all this, but no one has gotten a contrary legal opinion yet.

i dont think there ever will be a contrary legal opinion.

it is stated in the tos that you agree to when you sign up.

there's a moral argument, sure, but legal - i am not sure anyone has a leg to stand on, hence the reaction.

Every contribution from proponents of the changes encourages me to never want to publish anything again. It's just ridiculous how you bend reality into place. As hard as I try, I cannot find understanding for it.

i dont think there ever will be a contrary legal opinion.

it is stated in the tos that you agree to when you sign up.

there's a moral argument, sure, but legal - i am not sure anyone has a leg to stand on, hence the reaction.

Concerning the legal aspects, broadly speaking Nexuxmods never enforced this particular section in their TOS, except under exceptional circumstances (banning), so now they make it a standard practice. In many cases what organizations actually do outweigh legally written agreements, especially when you have 15 years of unenforced precedent and a website specifically designed to allow for deletion and removal of mods.

Besides, this is a moral issue, i.e. a site conceived to be free for modders and user alike for 15 years promoted itself as such, now wants to take ownership of modders content, seriously?

They are also only "Holding files" hostage because without it the new system will literally fail before it gets to the gate which it hasnt. Reading the locked announcement they have done 0 testing and only after annoucing a system 2 years after talking about it once to the Masses are they now testing it with the Mod authors who agreed the new system would work.

We all are stuck watching the blimp and the fire crawl over it.

Those who don't care are going "whats the big deal".
Those that do are dubbed cry baby's for wanting to protect the work.

Folks trying to make their voice heard or being singled out by users and some Forum Mods for "disruptive" behavior as they have said whats happening and no matter how we kick or shout we are considered as a disruptive issue to the future to mod kind. We can't ask for answers. "You have been given them" we can't speculate or theories on anything as its misinformation. At the end of this its those dozen or so people in the UK who runs this website making the decisions and nothing we can do will stop them.