Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Curious why you lump all the literally 100's of thousands (maybe millions) of mod users with with the very minor vocal ones/complainers. Most users, like 99% of them, either keep quiet or offer gratitude. Some have questions and need support. You don't want mod authors all painted with the same black black brush. Why are you doing that to users?

Same reason that mod users jump into a thread that they don't know what's going on and accuse the Mod Author of "Pulling all their mods in a fit of nerd rage"

Mod users tend to always side with the people accusing Mod Authors of something.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread sickens me. I've enjoyed Skyrim more because of mods. Now mod authors are claiming Art and Intellectual Property rights that likely do not exist. You might as well have released these to the public domain.

Art? When you get a wall at the DMA you let me know. IP? Mods are glorified mix tapes. Good luck selling that in court.

As far as Nexusmods goes, I suspect they are within their rights to make sure mods remain accessible. Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

You need to educate yourself. Start here with Nexus' own words : https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/771842-copyright-and-you/

He actually did make an effort to do so.

I owe several of you an apology. The DMCA says that you own what you post. I did not know that. That changes everything. I've spoken when I should have listened.

He posted that back on page 24, although I expect most of the folks he aimed that at, have already blocked seeing his posts.

Yes Sister Druuler. Sorry Sister Druuler. Please don't hit me again, Sister Druuler. I was just trying to help Sister Druuler. I promise to never provide a link to a learning resource again, Sister Druuler. Please, Sister Druuler, don't hit me again.

I owe several of you an apology. The DMCA says that you own what you post. I did not know that. That changes everything. I've spoken when I should have listened.

He posted that back on page 24, although I expect most of the folks he aimed that at, have already blocked seeing his posts.

I sure as hell did, I've had enough of it, I've been here since 2008, and when something comes up, the Mod Authors get the brunt of the accusations, insults etc, and now it's the Nexus doing it to us as well.

I've put up with it long enough, because when push comes to shove, the people who have no regard for Mod Authors always come out of the woodwork and spew their hatred towards mod authors, and what makes it worse, is they ALWAYS automatically take the side AGAINST mod authors without even knowing the full story.

Afterwards, these same ones slink back into the woodwork and expect everything to be forgotten, and that we should continue making mods for them

I'm also trying to understand how this is going to affect others, like really affect, not hypothetical end of the world propaganda effect. Everyone still has the right, and the time, to delete their mods, and re-upload the ones they're comfortable with if they so choose. They've got the right to pack up and leave, they have the right to do nothing at all and accept that it is what it is and just let the whole thing play out. And Nexus still retains the right to do whatever they want with their website, even by changing how they handle files on it. Which is their right.

I see a lot of confusion here over what is apparently considered a right and what is nothing more than an option. Everyone here has the option to go along with a completely legitimate and ultimately fair implementation of a policy change. I mean they could have just sprung it on you guys and made it retroactive without any sort of grace period, you know, cuz thats a thing, and while ethically it stinks to make changes to something that a person or persons have been using for quite some time without any notice whatsoever, that isn't the case here. .....buuut I could probably point out quite a few mod authors over the last year or so that have just *BLIP* deleted things that I rely on. Is that fair? Yes, its fair. Is it my right to have those things? No, its my option only.

Lets not forget how rights work, your rights end where someone elses begin, and its a trickle down effect, this is the law. Do I have the right to download mods from authors? No, but I have an option to. Do mod authors have the right to upload or take down mods at their discretion? No, but they have the option to. Does Nexus mods have the right to host unlimited everything? No, but they have options... they answer to someone too. Does anyone higher in the chain have the right to dictate how things lower in that chain get handled. Yes, all day every day. As long as these things don't conflict with discriminatory laws and polices of the land or jurisdiction. Now how many mod authors have yanked mods because they are angry or biased towards a piece of a conversation? Some people might find that behavior discriminatory.....but nobody in their right mind is going to press that issue even though it is what it is.

I'm not here to point fingers at anybody but this emotionally charged conversation brought about by change isn't a new thing, but it is what I expect to see at a nerd convention LOL

I get what the fears are, I've read through this thing enough to have a loose grasp on everyone's point of view and some might be slightly warranted but for me I haven't seen game breaking. Most fears I've seen are simply irrational and not based on what reality is, but more on a self imposed sense of righteous rightness over rights......that for the most part a lot of people don't understand, from what I see.

Guest deleted34304850

I sure as hell did, I've had enough of it, I've been here since 2008, and when something comes up, the Mod Authors get the brunt of the accusations, insults etc, and now it's the Nexus doing it to us as well.

I've put up with it long enough, because when push comes to shove, the people who have no regard for Mod Authors always come out of the woodwork and spew their hatred towards mod authors, and what makes it worse, is they ALWAYS automatically take the side AGAINST mod authors without even knowing the full story.

Afterwards, these same ones slink back into the woodwork and expect everything to be forgotten, and that we should continue making mods for them

that the guy with the "i dont care" post?

it works both ways.

thats a bridge burned. added to the ignore list and guess what? my nexusmods experience is no worse for it.

the last few days, i think there has been some very good discussion here among a lot of people with opposing views. i have enjoyed the discourse - it was derailed by a couple but overall i think there's been some nice posts and speaking for myself i have learned from a lot of the input. that's how i approach this - what do i know, what don't i know and what can i learn.

I'm also trying to understand how this is going to affect others, like really affect, not hypothetical end of the world propaganda effect. Everyone still has the right, and the time, to delete their mods, and re-upload the ones they're comfortable with if they so choose. They've got the right to pack up and leave, they have the right to do nothing at all and accept that it is what it is and just let the whole thing play out. And Nexus still retains the right to do whatever they want with their website, even by changing how they handle files on it. Which is their right.

I see a lot of confusion here over what is apparently considered a right and what is nothing more than an option. Everyone here has the option to go along with a completely legitimate and ultimately fair implementation of a policy change. I mean they could have just sprung it on you guys and made it retroactive without any sort of grace period, you know, cuz thats a thing, and while ethically it stinks to make changes to something that a person or persons have been using for quite some time without any notice whatsoever, that isn't the case here. .....buuut I could probably point out quite a few mod authors over the last year or so that have just *BLIP* deleted things that I rely on. Is that fair? Yes, its fair. Is it my right to have those things? No, its my option only.

Lets not forget how rights work, your rights end where someone elses begin, and its a trickle down effect, this is the law. Do I have the right to download mods from authors? No, but I have an option to. Do mod authors have the right to upload or take down mods at their discretion? No, but they have the option to. Does Nexus mods have the right to host unlimited everything? No, but they have options... they answer to someone too. Does anyone higher in the chain have the right to dictate how things lower in that chain get handled. Yes, all day every day. As long as these things don't conflict with discriminatory laws and polices of the land or jurisdiction. Now how many mod authors have yanked mods because they are angry or biased towards a piece of a conversation? Some people might find that behavior discriminatory.....but nobody in their right mind is going to press that issue even though it is what it is.

I'm not here to point fingers at anybody but this emotionally charged conversation brought about by change isn't a new thing, but it is what I expect to see at a nerd convention LOL

I get what the fears are, I've read through this thing enough to have a loose grasp on everyone's point of view and some might be slightly warranted but for me I haven't seen game breaking. Most fears I've seen are simply irrational and not based on what reality is, but more on a self imposed sense of righteous rightness over rights......that for the most part a lot of people don't understand, from what I see.

Nice try. But most of your considerations are just another personal opinion and nothing more. Member since 2018 and his fith posting. That speaks for itself. Another troll to put on ignore

Guest deleted34304850

some wild assumptions a lot of ignorance and a few insults as well.

as introductions go, you could do a lot better.... but you do you.

"some wild assumptions a lot of ignorance and a few insults as well."

Just because I didn't elaborate doesn't mean I was assuming anything, those parts would be your assumptions.

....and BRO! I figured being a nerd was high praise around here not a defamation...I will admit that part might have been an assumption. Let me clear that up, to me, its high praise. *High Five*

As for the lawyerly bits.... no, I'm afraid I wasn't assuming a thing, but don't take my word for it. Do your due diligence, dude.

"Nice try. But most of your considerations are just another personal opinion and nothing more."

Oh! and if my "personal opinions" happen to fall in line with the opinion of the courts...well then they are no longer my personal opinions, that would be the law of the land....which is greater than what I might opine.

I'm not trying to be incredibly argumentative.....all of the time....mostly....buuuut I was pretty serious about what I wrote guys and I did give it some thought. I am fully aware that no argument here is going to be won by opinions and assumptions, and neither is anything going to change, for the better, as a result of those things.

Just because I didn't elaborate doesn't mean I was assuming anything, those parts would be your assumptions.

....and BRO! I figured being a nerd was high praise around here not a defamation...I will admit that part might have been an assumption. Let me clear that up, to me, its high praise. *High Five*

As for the lawyerly bits.... no, I'm afraid I wasn't assuming a thing, but don't take my word for it. Do your due diligence, dude.

"Nice try. But most of your considerations are just another personal opinion and nothing more."

Oh! and if my "personal opinions" happen to fall in line with the opinion of the courts...well then they are no longer my personal opinions, that would be the law of the land....which is greater than what I might opine.

I'm not trying to be incredibly argumentative.....all of the time....mostly....buuuut I was pretty serious about what I wrote guys and I did give it some thought. I am fully aware that no argument here is going to be won by opinions and assumptions, and neither is anything going to change, for the better, as a result of those things.

Well, in your previous post, the answer is "NOT ANYMORE" when you asked if Mod Authors have any rights to Take down their mods at their discretion"

That Right was removed a WEEK before they notified us of that change.

We now have until August 5th to...Remove ALL of our mods, or leave ALL of our mods up.

This is a strong-arm bully tactic, because, removing ALL of your mods, immediately loses you all of the download and endorsement counts, access to the Modder Forum, and if you reupload your mods, you have to "Start Over", and try and build your download and endorsement count all over again.

Problem is, your once popular often downloaded Mod, can end up in complete obscurity

The Nexus knows that, and made the "ALL or NOTHING" Ultimatum in order to play on that, and essentially force people to make a bad decision on their behalf.

Well, in your previous post, the answer is "NOT ANYMORE" when you asked if Mod Authors have any rights to Take down their mods at their discretion"

That Right was removed a WEEK before they notified us of that change.

We now have until August 5th to...Remove ALL of our mods, or leave ALL of our mods up.

This is a strong-arm bully tactic, because, removing ALL of your mods, immediately loses you all of the download and endorsement counts, access to the Modder Forum, and if you reupload your mods, you have to "Start Over", and try and build your download and endorsement count all over again.

Problem is, your once popular often downloaded Mod, can end up in complete obscurity

The Nexus knows that, and made the "ALL or NOTHING" Ultimatum in order to play on that, and essentially force people to make a bad decision on their behalf.

So you agree the "option" to take your mods down is still there. "Right" in this case would be a loose fitting term, i mean you can put it on, but its loose fitting. As a non mod author I'll have to take your word for it as far as when the option to remove singular mods was removed.

By the way, I'm not excusing anyone of anything, I think the practice of "All or Nothing" is exactly what you said it is, a pretty shady tactic from the sounds of it, or at the very least the decision was made without any consideration for what the outcome was. Illegal? No. Very inconsiderate of long time customers?....yea pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. Do they still have time to fix that and make amends in some fashion before being forced to do some sort of rollback if things go very very sour? Absolutely! You would hope they're listening then, yea?

I see this as something that definitely has the potential to have a negative impact on me as the mod user as well. My only concern here is to clear up the issue so that Nexusmods might be presented with something tangible instead of a wall of fears. Get enough people on that page and something positive might get done.

TLDR This statement from Nexusmods post, their TLDR.

"We understand that not everyone in the mod author community shares our convictions and our vision, and that is why we are granting a 1 month grace period in which mod authors can request to have all their files deleted for good by contacting [email protected]."

and this statement from the same post

"In order to streamline the process you may only request to have all of your files deleted (all or nothing)."

Really does give you that, "If you can't get on board 100% with all of your mods then you mean nothing to us" vibe doesn't it.

You know it really does look much worse when you spell it out...Hey is anybody listening? Is this thing on??? I got tired of tooting my own horn around here so I tooted YOURS and it sounds really bad! You could say its out of tune with the other horns around here. The good news is you have time to fix it before the big show! Lets get on that! @Nexusmods