Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

They don't, actually. Licensing a platform to distribute and/or display your content does not convey all of your rights in that content any more than licensing a copy of a game gives you any rights to the game's IP.

Â

Most social media platforms recognize this fact, and provide users the ability to not only edit their content, but permanently delete it.

I'm not so sure about the delete part in regards to social media.

Their business model is founded on monetizing anything you post. I'm not saying that they don't sever the public's access to your deleted content, but I'd be very surprised to find out that they also no longer have access to it themselves.

Not to mention selling whatever information they can collect from you. That's where the real money is. :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

They don't, actually. Licensing a platform to distribute and/or display your content does not convey all of your rights in that content any more than licensing a copy of a game gives you any rights to the game's IP.

Most social media platforms recognize this fact, and provide users the ability to not only edit their content, but permanently delete it.

if it would be this way (social media owns...) it would mean one stupid or unintended upload can ruin your privacy, your job and your life permanently and nexusmods could say: sorry, you accepted our tos, not our problem. we all know this is pure nonsense and not legal at all. nexusmods steers into big touble if they do not grant an uploader the possibility to delete his content as a hoster for different legal reasons. a deletion option MUST exist for legal reasons! and it is not the responsibility of nexusmods to decide about that and to cut deletion options this rigid way if they do not want to get in severe legal trouble - as long as they do not have to save data to fullfill legal rules and regulations. but this is another story and another pool of data not in reach for users or collections. the problem is - this will be too late for modders who already nuked their accounts until the 5th auf aug.

in the meantime i would say they did the right thing in time if they found a trustful place to upload their mods without this nexumods hassle. nexusmods currently isn`t this safe place.

They were clear from the start that the "archive rather than delete" was not changing. They might give a bit on the "delete all or delete nothing" ultimatum. We should hear Monday or Tuesday.

And George Bush was clear from the start as well. "No new taxes." That didn't stop him from doing exactly that though.
I'm confused. Are you saying that you think Nexus will change their minds and allow authors to continue deleting mods in the future?

Gonna have to agree with the guy that basically said 99.99% of mod authors aren't going to change a thing despite the noise. Thats exactly what they are banking on with the surprise policy changes with accompanying deadline. I mean they didn't really say that out loud but they did say....

"We understand that not everyone in the mod author community shares our convictions and our vision, and that is why we are granting a 1 month grace period in which mod authors can request to have all their files deleted for good by contacting [email protected]."

I understand being upset over the archiving bit too, my own personal experience with archiving came when I tried to get my 10 yr old World of Warcraft account back.. I got it! I did! It was right there. Apparently they archived all the info and it went smooooth like butter. I didn't ask them to but they did it anyway. Apparently its a common practice here on the internet, I mean look at wayback.archive.org! They got a whole weird thing going on over there.

*Stolen from Wikipedia cuz its on the internet and its on the internet so its true"

"The Wayback Machine began archiving cached web pages in May 1996, with the goal of making the service public five years later.

Internet Archive founders Brewster Kahle and Bruce Gilliat launched the Wayback Machine in San Francisco, California in October 2001, primarily to address the problem of website content vanishing whenever it gets changed or when a website is shut down. The service enables users to see archived versions of web pages across time, which the archive calls a "three-dimensional index". Kahle and Gilliat created the machine hoping to archive the entire Internet and provide "universal access to all knowledge" Your mods might even be there, too.

As aggravating as this post might come across, This isn't a brand new thing. The precedent was set sorta right after they invented the internet. This isn't that precedent by the way, this is just an example that came much much later. I'm willing to bet pretty much any other file hosting sight in the world does about the same thing. Thats why we've been warning you kids for years and years and years "Don't upload anything you're not comfortable having on there!" Cuz its more permanent than a tattoo.

I understand copyright materials and all that. I would suggest if you don't want any copyrighted material you have on this website to remain on here you gather your copyright ID# or certification# or whatever they give you when you copyright something, and you present that to Nexusmods with a formal letter asking them to remove such n such material and they will probably be legally bound to do so and more than happy to comply.

*Buyer Beware!!!*

From the US Copyright Office

Notice

Please be aware that when you register your claim to a copyright in a work with the U.S. Copyright Office, you are making a public record. All the information you provide on your copyright registration is available to the public and will be available on the Internet.

Say it aint so copyright people! Say it aint so! .....on the internet??!! REALLY???!!!! Even the Copyrighterers don't respect your copyrights!!!

Obviously this is just for the US, other jurisdictions I'm sure have their own rules about copyright, looking at you China.

I understand I have the right to remain silent and anything I say can and will be used against me on the internet.

another repeating word wall... you did not read this thread - right ?

the problem here is not only what they do (we all know about the probelms related to that) the problem here is the 180 degree change of nexusmods philosophy in the last 2 years, not communicated at all until 01. jul 2021. and also how they (try to) care for the community. it is simply not as they did as three years before and as they communicated during this time! how can you trust someone if he changes his mind every 1 or two years how the community has to be treated ? and who is alienated with an ultimatum and who not ?

So you think this is the first time they have had anything archived here? Thats the part I don't understand lol. Is that what people think? I just showed you a website that isn't this website that has this websites info archived...since 1996ish. Are all you guys on their forums too? LOL

So you think this is the first time they have had anything archived here? Thats the part I don't understand lol. Is that what people think? I just showed you a website that isn't this website that has this websites info archived...since 1996ish. Are all you guys on their forums too? LOL

it is not relevant if they do, because china and russia have already at least 10 archieved copies of my illegally copied mods happily spreading them or not but how does this matter in regards on how nexusmods officially acts here ? and why lol ? is this funny trolling ? i see nothing funny in all this.

read this first and understand and if you think you understand tell us all if the current official way is the way to go:

if you don´t believe the stress that many authors are currently exposed to by nexusmods read this just as one example

I don't believe the Wayback Machine holds the files from Nexus Mods, just the pages. You'd have to give them direct links to the files for them to archive them.

That may or may not be true, I'm not going to go through every page to find out, skyrim alone has about 535 thousand captures associated with it. I have found instances....on Nexusmods, of people finding old files from wayback machine from other long past users and re-uploading them to here. Or, re-uploading to here files from other websites that old users no longer frequent.

I was more or less just showing a well known instance of internet archiving as precedent. That is pretty relevant to this topic. I mean the internet in and of itself is basically an archive, "Don't archive my files!" Is basically saying "Don't internet on the internet!"

So, again, if you got your choice between uploading your mod or getting a tattoo, get a tattoo of your mod, it'll be less permanent LOL