Are collections really that bad?

Highlynx

I can understand not being able to delete your own mods but I am still confused as to why collections has received such a negative response. It's not like the nexus team is going to lock mods behind a pay wall. Donations are still a thing. The only thing that I have seen that is deserving of the criticism it has gained are mod authors being unable to delete their own stuff while everything else just seems blown out of proportion.

If people are that upset, are there any other sites on par with nexus in terms of being able to navigate the site and track down specific kinds of mods?

It's a bunch of mod IDs and links. Some people like to paint them really negative despite having nothing else to go on other than the info we were given. People who try to demonize them come across as drama queens with ridiculous ideas of what kind of control they can demand.

Guest deleted34304850

i think the idea of collections is fine.

if you read a few posts on the forums - the original complaints were around being able to delete old versions of mods - which got conflated somewhat into an argument about collections. the two things are entirely different, but there is a crossover.

for me, collections are a part of life and can be used in a positive way. there are opportunities to exploit them but that's really nothing new, and from what has been explained by nexusmods - certain exploits are completely negated if vortex is used to install and maintain those collections.

It's a bunch of mod IDs and links. Some people like to paint them really negative despite having nothing else to go on other than the info we were given. People who try to demonize them come across as drama queens with ridiculous ideas of what kind of control they can demand.

Wow, another populist. It must obviously has escaped your notice that quite a few mod authors are against the collections themselves. What most mod authors are condemning is how NM ethically, morally, and technically handles their implementation. So don't spread misinformation here

Nothing at all wrong with a list of mods verified to work together, provided in the order in which you should install them, and indicating any special instructions.

We've had those here for years. I loved when my mods were included on them.

One button to install them all, never have to visit a mod page modpacks?

Yeah, from an author point of view there are issues. Some authors don't mind those issues. Others are very concerned by them.

I don't think collections themselves are too controversial. Sure there are some mod authors who would rather not have their mods included. The real issue was changing the TOS about file deletions and the way the Nexus handled it. Many felt disrespected by the change. (I happen to agree that with them, btw).

Collections are great. It allows users to play the game with someone else's idea of a good mix of mods.

For me, personally, there are Several issues. One which sticks out prominently for me is "association".

Joe Schmuck makes a mod pack called "Skyrim in the Buff". T&A dressed in smiles and stiletto heels everywhere. Anatomical physics to make your eyes bleed. Suzie's mod, which fixes some eye coloring, gets included in this mod list. Now Suzie's mod is forever associated with naked frolicking in Skyrim. Suzie, as a good Christian Conservative. does not want her mod associated with naked people running amok in Skyrim. But alas, Suzie has no say in this, and will now forever be harangued and ostracized by family and friends for this negative and unwholesome association.

And what are the alternatives provided by Robin Scott so Suzie might remedy this situation. The upthrust right fist with left handed bicep slap, the backhanded V, the extended and forward thrust middle finger, ... and the hollow sound of echoing laughter as Robin skips to the bank with the profits he is making off of Suzie's intellectual property, which robin has taken for his own.

Edited by ScytheBearer

I don't think collections themselves are too controversial.ÃÃÂ Sure there are some mod authors who would rather not have their mods included.ÃÃÂ The real issue was changing the TOS about file deletions and the way the Nexus handled it.ÃÃÂ Many felt disrespected by the change.ÃÃÂ (I happen to agree that with them, btw).

And I think you and others including me as well said that it isnât ok to burden the MA with stuff that should be the responsibility of the collection curators. Like providing conflict help, and ensure that lists work no matter a mod gets deleted. Like MAs have to do too, when their mods depend on another mod, and that one gets deleted.

So itâs not collections people have issues per say with. Itâs more the realistic issues that arise with them and that those got burden on the MAs.

As well the sneaky/shady implementation of the file deletion farce. If a mod author wouldnât have stumbled over it by accident nobody would know that we canât delete files anymore and that changes in TOS are already there without informing people of said changes.

So no - itâs not that MAs donât like collections - they donât like how nexus handled it.

Itâs like when twitch would implement collections for VODS without telling streamers. Then a streamer would try to delete their vod and accidentally finds out itâs impossible anymore. It only gets archived but can accessed over the API. What would have caused a riot. That you can be sure of.

Edit: oh and the fact that one click install is only accessible over their own mod manager and ONLY when you pay. This means the feature is paywalled. Which actually goes abspulte against the so often quoted cathedral concept from people who are pro nexus file deletion changes. And actually doesnât ensure that itâs wide spread accessible like they claim it is meant for. Itâs not noble, itâs just trying to make money. What means marginalized groups are again disadvantaged. What defeats the whole point of their noble argument. Because if you donât have the money, for whatever reason - you CANT use the one click feature.

I can understand not being able to delete your own mods but I am still confused as to why collections has received such a negative response. It's not like the nexus team is going to lock mods behind a pay wall. Donations are still a thing. The only thing that I have seen that is deserving of the criticism it has gained are mod authors being unable to delete their own stuff while everything else just seems blown out of proportion.

If people are that upset, are there any other sites on par with nexus in terms of being able to navigate the site and track down specific kinds of mods?

Mod Authors aren't upset about COLLECTIONS, they are upset because the ability to delete our Mods was removed, and three days AFTER they made the change to Deletions we were told about it.

That's it, in a nutshell