Should weapons reload automatically?

hucker75

I'm currently using a shotgun that holds 2 bullets. I fire one, I fire another, I go to fire another and now have to wait for a reload. The character doesn't seem to know the barrel is empty until I try to fire it when it's empty. Is this normal behaviour or is something broken?

Normal, though I don't know why

An attempt at realism. On a semiautomatic, pistol or rifle, you can feel the slide/bolt slam back and then stop, so you know it's empty. On anything else you kinda have to count your shots or you'll still try pull the trigger even though the gun is empty, especially when your adrenaline is pumping. Even with a semiauto it takes some training to know the feel when the last shot is fired.

On a side note this is something that annoys the hell out of me in movies. Semiauto pistol, they run out of ammo, and then pull the trigger and it goes click click click. In reality the slide would be locked to the rear and they'd know it was empty, and pulling the trigger would do nothing because the hammer is blocked from falling by the slide.

Oh, and if you look closely you'll often see the slide on the hero's gun locked back after a single shot. Apparently actors can't be trusted and they only give them one blank to shoot the closeup with.

An attempt at realism. On a semiautomatic, pistol or rifle, you can feel the slide/bolt slam back and then stop, so you know it's empty. On anything else you kinda have to count your shots or you'll still try pull the trigger even though the gun is empty, especially when your adrenaline is pumping. Even with a semiauto it takes some training to know the feel when the last shot is fired.

On a side note this is something that annoys the hell out of me in movies. Semiauto pistol, they run out of ammo, and then pull the trigger and it goes click click click. In reality the slide would be locked to the rear and they'd know it was empty, and pulling the trigger would do nothing because the hammer is blocked from falling by the slide.

Oh, and if you look closely you'll often see the slide on the hero's gun locked back after a single shot. Apparently actors can't be trusted and they only give them one blank to shoot the closeup with.

True, however, with a double-barrel shotgun, you KNOW you have only two shots, then you break the barrel, pop out the shells and insert two new ones.

I can see with a Pump Action Shotgun, where you can lose count, but not so much with a double-barrel.

True, however, with a double-barrel shotgun, you KNOW you have only two shots, then you break the barrel, pop out the shells and insert two new ones.

I can see with a Pump Action Shotgun, where you can lose count, but not so much with a double-barrel.

Well I did say it was an "attempt" lol

I'm in the middle of dodging the enemy's bullets and taking stimpaks, I can't concentrate on the ammo count!

On that note, I think something has to interrupt the character. If I just fire two shots into nowhere with it, he reloads. Perhaps taking a stimpack or being punched makes him forget.

I'm in the middle of dodging the enemy's bullets and taking stimpaks, I can't concentrate on the ammo count!

On that note, I think something has to interrupt the character. If I just fire two shots into nowhere with it, he reloads. Perhaps taking a stimpack or being punched makes him forget.

It's adrenaline, fight or flight. Monkey brain shuts down, lizard brain takes over. It's one of the reasons we train soldiers rather than just hand them a rifle, to make certain reactions like reloading when the bolt locks to the rear automatic instead of requiring thought.

Thought is required to try and get the damn magazines out of pouches without dropping all the other ones on the ground at the same time :)

It's adrenaline, fight or flight. Monkey brain shuts down, lizard brain takes over. It's one of the reasons we train soldiers rather than just hand them a rifle, to make certain reactions like reloading when the bolt locks to the rear automatic instead of requiring thought.

Thought is required to try and get the damn magazines out of pouches without dropping all the other ones on the ground at the same time :smile:

I guess in real life it's practise. Like I don't have to think to change gear in my car. All I think about is which way I'm going to turn at the next junction to get where I'm going.

But in the game, I have this expectation of the character doing all the autonomous stuff. For example I just say run forwards, I don't give him a command for left and right feet, which was actually required in some very early games where you were racing. See how fast you can tap two keys in succession.

I cant think of any SENSIBLE shooting game that automatically reloads a weapon, managing and running out of ammo is part of the shooter experience.

Like aiming ... unless your running an aimbot, or situational awareness ... unless your running walls.