Mods Not Loading into Game

aonach

Just a little bit ago, I reinstalled Apachii Sky Hair (which I use in a personal mod as a general NPC upgrade) because one of the meshes or textures wasn't showing up, causing the hair to be transparent.

However, after having done this, now Skyrim thinks I've uninstalled any number of mods (I can only see 10 or so on the Skyrim load screen, with the ... at the bottom indicating there are more) All of the mods I can see are still installed and marked in Vortex as active. I tried disabling/re-enabling the mods, running LOOT, even duplicating the game profile, but none of it worked. Google and Nexus searches for this issue have so far been fruitless.

Others must have run into this before.

Can anyone provide some help?

This is Skyrim SE, if that matters.

Click on your Plugins tab in Vortex and make sure they are all enabled. And don't run Loot separately; it is built in.

They are enabled in the plugins tab- I checked there before posting. I ran LOOT as a double-check step.

I also know that actually uninstalling and then re-installing the mods "fixes" the issue. However, I would really like to understand what circumstances cause a long list of mods that are enabled, and are functioning just fine for days/weeks/months/years, suddenly stop loading into the game. I also want to know if there is a less laborious process for getting them back into the game than uninstalling/reinstalling.

Guest deleted34304850

you shouldnt run loot as a double-check step. that's not what its for. don't do that.

if the mods are being disabled then you're doing something else, which is currentlly missing from your story. what is the thing you're doing? are you messing with the in-game mod manager?

Always nice to ask for help and be accused of doing "something else to screw it up" and be chided for running LOOT to see if it showed any errors I wasn't seeing in Vortex.

For the record- no, I did not do anything other than what I said.

The steps here were:
1. Open Vortex
2. Right-click on each of the Apachii hair mods, click "reinstall" then "update all profiles"

3. Open Skyrim SE to see a warning, on the load screen, that all three Apachii mods, as well as at least 7 other, unrelated mods, were no longer installed. Note here that I mean the load screen- that being the screen that follows clicking "continue" from the main menu...also known as the time and place where one would generally expect to see a notice that some mods were no longer installed- and yes, I am loading through the SKSE .exe, not Steam

4. Close Skyrim SE
5. Disable/re-enable all of the mods I saw warnings for

6. Open Skyrim SE

7. See notice again

8. Close Skyrim SE

9. Clone and rename Vortex profile

10. Open Skyrim SE

11. See notice again

12. Close Skyrim SE

(please note that there were also a handful of restarting Steam, restarting Vortex, and, I am ashamed to admit- even one restarting of the computer sprinkled throughout the steps above)

Eventually I just uninstalled and reinstalled each of the mods and that "fixed" it. I'm looking for anyone who has seen this issue, and might know what caused it, so I can avoid it in the future. I know we're all used to dealing with absolute novices who make novice mistakes, but getting ONLY snarky, condescending comments is disappointing. I had hoped someone might be able to speak to the specific problem.

I am curious, though- what "other thing" might I have done that would "ghost disable" several mods and then prevent them from being re-enabled- all while appearing to be perfectly functional in Vortex? Apart from my being so daft that I disabled them then wondered why they were disabled, I mean.

Guest deleted34304850

Always nice to ask for help and be accused of doing "something else to screw it up" and be chided for running LOOT to see if it showed any errors I wasn't seeing in Vortex.

The steps here were:

1. Open Vortex

2. Right-click on each of the Apachii hair mods, click "reinstall" then "update all profiles"

3. Open Skyrim SE to see a warning, on the load screen, that all three Apachii mods, as well as at least 7 other, unrelated mods, were no longer installed. Note here that I mean the load screen- that being the screen that follows clicking "continue" from the main menu...also known as the time and place where one would generally expect to see a notice that some mods were no longer installed- and yes, I am loading through the SKSE .exe, not Steam

4. Close Skyrim SE

6. Open Skyrim SE

7. See notice again

8. Close Skyrim SE

10. Open Skyrim SE

11. See notice again

12. Close Skyrim SE

(please note that there were also a handful of restarting Steam, restarting Vortex, and, I am ashamed to admit- even one restarting of the computer sprinkled throughout the steps above)

Eventually I just uninstalled and reinstalled each of the mods and that "fixed" it. I'm looking for anyone who has seen this issue, and might know what caused it, so I can avoid it in the future. I know we're all used to dealing with absolute novices who make novice mistakes, but getting ONLY snarky, condescending comments is disappointing. I had hoped someone might be able to speak to the specific problem.

I am curious, though- what "other thing" might I have done that would "ghost disable" several mods and then prevent them from being re-enabled- all while appearing to be perfectly functional in Vortex? Apart from my being so daft that I disabled them then wondered why they were disabled, I mean.

you were not "chided" you were advised to not run a tool to do something its not meant to do. but it's your game, you do you. you want to mess up your game fill your boots.

then, when asked to provide more details - oh look - a whole slew of actions you failed to mention previously.

no-one here is going to play 20 questions with you - you want help - then tell everything up front. what you told initially didn't make sense, because a swathe of information wasn't given. you think people are mind readers, or something?

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

May seem obvious. But nowhere do you mention deploying your mods.

I didn't think to include things like "yes, the mods were deployed" because I felt what I did say implicitly indicated that these mods were working just fine prior. But again, a novice would make that mistake, so I understand where you're coming from. But the additional details I added only clarified that I didn't do some stupid thing, and doesn't help with actual diagnosis. I reinstalled a couple of mods properly to ensure that all of the files were on my computer, and suddenly, several other, unrelated mods (which had been installed and active for months) were suddenly listed as being removed when loading the game- while also still showing as both installed and enabled in Vortex. As far as I could see, only uninstalling and reinstalling them re-added them to the game.

The steps here were:

1. Open Vortex

4. Close Skyrim SE

6. Open Skyrim SE

7. See notice again

8. Close Skyrim SE

10. Open Skyrim SE

11. See notice again

12. Close Skyrim SE

you were not "chided" you were advised to not run a tool to do something its not meant to do. but it's your game, you do you. you want to mess up your game fill your boots.

then, when asked to provide more details - oh look - a whole slew of actions you failed to mention previously.

no-one here is going to play 20 questions with you - you want help - then tell everything up front. what you told initially didn't make sense, because a swathe of information wasn't given. you think people are mind readers, or something?

So the outline of steps I added now reveals the issue? Or it just reveals that I (probably) didn't make some other mistake?

As for running LOOT- I'm not aware that it has a negative impact, only that it is unnecessary with the new version of Vortex. What do other people use to determine if a mod needs cleaning or is giving errors? I can adapt, but I've seen no new procedures for this.

Guest deleted34304850

what is loot?

load order optimzation tool.

vortex has loot built in - it has since day #1 - its a fundamental component of the product.

That means you are using vortex/loot to create a load order then running loot again, outside of vortex which will reorder your load order for you all over again. outside of vortex control/knowledge.

wonderful and a 100% cast iron way to cause yourself problems. hence the advice to not do what you were doing.

as i said - you do you - its your game.

you asked for help, you gave half a story that made no sense when compared to what you were reporting and then, when advised on what not to do (run LOOT like its some sort of load order validator), and asked for more information TO HELP YOU, you acted like a kid.

No-one here owes you anything. I hope you figure it out soon.