Is enchanting a bit too dark for good characters?

hyralux

Then it sounds (unless it bothers you that you would be doing it in game regardless) as though it might be best to simply RP that your character uses a different method of enchanting altogether, but any option is a good option long as you like and or enjoy your roleplay. After all, it is your character.

Good luck friend.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thalmor ... abomination ... joke

Humor is a spirit best served dry.

On morality, there are as I can discern three modes of being "good":

1. Reason

"I will shoot Hitler to interrupt genocide. I will kill for the greater good."

"Hitler's incompetence is helping the Allies. I will not shoot Hitler."

2. Emotion

"I can't shoot Hitler because the gun shakes and falls out of my hand when I try. I could never shoot anyone."

"Oh no! Hitler is strangling that puppy!" *BANG* *BANG*

3. Dogma

"I follow the teachings of Gandhi. I cannot shoot Hitler."

"It would be against the law to shoot Hitler. I cannot shoot Hitler."

"I just received orders to assassinate Hitler. I will shoot Hitler."

Most people draw their functional morality from a combination of the three (I didn't give explicitly evil examples because you don't want to be evil). The point is there are different ways to approach "being good". As Paarthurnax might put it ... "If you want to be 'good' what kind of 'good' will you be?"

"If you want to be 'good' what kind of 'good' will you be?"

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

True words Mr. Wayne.

Oh you know, the kind of good that jumps from building to building in a batsuit

• 2 years later...

This is an old topic....but here is the accurate info.

White souls and regular soul gem usage doesn't seem to send souls to the Soul Cairn. However, Black Soul Gems DO send souls to the Soul Cairn.

Why is this a problem? Well, the world is created out of the Aedra's 'bodies'...they donated parts of themselves to create Nirn. When people use Black Soul Gems, they are sending tiny pieces of Nirn's 'essence' to the Soul Cairn (forever lost). It doesn't matter if the original soul was a good or evil man/mer = it still results in an erosion of the Divines themselves.

Of course, the Divines aren't too keen on the idea of Oblivion slowly stealing away pieces of themselves....that's why Arkay works hard to prevent the creation of Black Soul Gems and why they are forbidden by the Divines.

This is an old topic....but here is the accurate info.

White souls and regular soul gem usage doesn't seem to send souls to the Soul Cairn. However, Black Soul Gems DO send souls to the Soul Cairn.

Why is this a problem? Well, the world is created out of the Aedra's 'bodies'...they donated parts of themselves to create Nirn. When people use Black Soul Gems, they are sending tiny pieces of Nirn's 'essence' to the Soul Cairn (forever lost). It doesn't matter if the original soul was a good or evil man/mer = it still results in an erosion of the Divines themselves.

Of course, the Divines aren't too keen on the idea of Oblivion slowly stealing away pieces of themselves....that's why Arkay works hard to prevent the creation of Black Soul Gems and why they are forbidden by the Divines.

"There is a curious lack of animal and creature souls present in the Soul Cairn, despite it being the place spent souls go to after being used in soul gems. This could prove Serana's theory that only souls used in black soul gems end up in the Soul Cairn. There are, however, two cow souls in a pseudo farm setting. Their presence is not explained."-http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Cairn_(Dawnguard)

Even if Serana is right, you still get not clue about where the souls of animals go when used in enchantment. Wherever that is, if you love animals like I do, you gotta believe is better than Hircine's Hunting Grounds, which is their place of afterlife. Just like humanoids go to some plane of Aetherius (Nords have Sovnguard and Catpeople have Sands Behind the Stars).

Edited by toquinho97

Do you skin animals for leather or fur?

Do you eat their meat?

Do you use any such items that have leather or fur as a material even if you didn't make it?

If you have no compunctions with that, why do you have compunctions with soul gems? Black souls I can understand, but white souls?

I can only speak for myself on this subject and state my view that the only difference between humans and animals is that we reached the level of intelligence to claim we have souls before everything else. This, in my opinion, does not justify inflicting unecessary suffering because "we can".

I can see where you are coming from but I personally feel there is difference between regretfully killing for survival and harvesting souls.

You only capture the soul in the gem for a time, the soul is not used but it energy of life (or some lorish thing along these lines.) when making an item, the soul goes on it way like normal. So when an enchanting an item, you not really enchant with the soul itself. You can buy refilled ones, and "free them." per say.

Plus it cool for RP, when I was done with DB questline and had one last job. I enchanted my dagger with the emperor soul and killed the target. Now he helps me with killing bandits.

Also other creatures have souls, daedra, undead, falmer, and it funny to soul trap necromages.