The decline of LAN support: your thoughts

sneezemonkey

Your views on the decline of LAN support  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does it matter if a game has LAN support for MP?

• Yes. I like to LAN party.
    • Not really. It be nice to have there though
    • No, I only play MP online
    • No, i usually play solo

I just finished the new splinter cell. Now I wanna play co-op with my bro without having to buy a new copy of the game. Impossible without LAN though

What do you guys think about the general trend that seems to suggest that LAN support is going to dissapear?

I for one wish it weren't so.

Edited by sneezemonkey

I support LAN, but only because I live in the same building as someone I game with, so LAN has much less lag than my internet connection. We always buy separate copies of the game, ofc.

Edited by Rennn

Dude, a game has either split screen or you have to buy one copy for each device you want to use it on at the same time.

This. Is the OP really complaining because he can't pirate a game to LAN on multiple PCs?

@baltasaronmeth

Split screen only applies to console. I'm playing on PC.

And what is wrong if I want to play with my bro who i live w/ and not have to buy the same game TWICE? Though I do get you about people pirating. I remeber people playing a cracked copy of CS and Quake on the school network from USBs. Ah so nostalgic...

@Zewp

Hey I at least did actually buy the game. With so many games coming out, we figured we just share the one copy and split the cost.

Edited by sneezemonkey

@baltasaronmeth

Split screen only applies to console. I'm playing on PC.

And what is wrong if I want to play with my bro who i live w/ and not have to buy the same game TWICE? Though I do get you about people pirating. I remeber people playing a cracked copy of CS and Quake on the school network from USBs. Ah so nostalgic...

@Zewp

Hey I at least did actually buy the game. With so many games coming out, we figured we just share the one copy and split the cost.

Unless the game is made specifically for co-op built in to the one game (like the old Baldurs Gate games on console for example) then you have to buy two games. Trying to make a game do this that is not set up by the developers to have two folks playing on one game is basically stealing (I in fact, can not remember a PC game in recent memory that let you play co-op in this manner.) It stinks that hardly any games are co-op anymore much less single game co-op but that is how it is. Please continue discussing the ending of lan line co-op in general if you wish but I would avoid asking specifics about a game you do not want to have both people purchase. Thanks and have a nice day.~LIsnpuppy

@Lisnpuppy

I played Civ V and Company of Heroes 1 offline MP with LAN recently. But they're becoming outliers I guess. Oh and I wasn't asking but rather, ranting. And Blacklist is just one example....

I'm curious about the stealing point though. Is it really? It's not like I'm dishing out my copy for public use. They're only installed on two PCs max. And in the same house.

Edited by sneezemonkey

on the topic of coop in general, and this applies to really only consoles, but ive noticed the lack of games that have, what i like to call, "couch coop". in that very few games have coop modes that 2 (or more) people can take advantage of in the same room. a lot of games are going the way of online coop, which is great, but many dont seem to have split screen (or single screen) coop.

this is one reason i liked borderlands, because it has coop. also a reason im grabbing Diablo 3 for PS3, because it has coop.

Resistance 3 for example, took out "couch coop". Resistance 2 had it and it was a blast, R2 actually had an entirely separate coop mode, which was outstanding. R3 took all that out. you could do the campaign coop, but only online coop....i wish more games would be like R2, where the is a coop mode. idc if its a separate piece of the game, levels specifically designed for coop and such, as long as i can sit down with a friend and play it (and even better, play with people online when that friend isnt over) again Borderlands is another great example of this.