Random CTD almost everywhere after update to 1.10.163.0

JonathanNighthawk

> StormWolf01 : Hi, i'm not using any mod manager (i have read in many posts that sometimes they cause errors),

This is the wrongest wrong thing that has ever been said. Not using a mod manager is always going to be worse than using one. It doesn't matter how careful you think you are being.

> showler : i decided to not use any of them when i have read many users that had problems with mod managers (and few mod makers that was suggesting to not use them also) ... also, before the update, none of my mods gave me particular problems (happened in the past that sometimes two mods was in conflict, but i solved them reading instructions from the mod makers pages and shifting the ones that need to "win the conflict" lower than the others).

Do you think this may have to do with CTDs ? ... i'm trying to imagine how, cause before the update of the game, i almost never had CTDs.

I used NMM for the longest time, and it never really caused me any issues. For my latest installations, I am using Vortex, and while I am not as familiar with the layout, it does indeed work pretty well. It also makes removing mods much easier, and makes sure that EVERYTHING from said mod gets removed. So far, it hasn't caused me any issues at all. (I use it for both Skyrim LE, and FO4.)

Then maybe i will give it a try, if i decide to increase the amount of the mods i use ... still trying from a new character and a new savegame, reloading the mods one by one for see if i can find what was causing all the CTDs ... actually reloaded and tried 38 of them, til now no CTDs (it's a slow process anyway, cause i can do it only in free time ... cross-fingers and keep testing)

Hiya Again Jonathan :)

Ok so first off, I don't use a mod manager either. Pretty much everything manually for me. Tho that's biting me in the rump, because I have several mods tha tI wanna try out that are FOMOD installed :(

Ugh, thats wierd. I wonder wny your browser is blocking the code for the spoilers tags. Something in your browsers security settings most likely.

Here's what I posted, in regards to your load order

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp

WorkshopFramework.esm
XDI.esm (I don't know what this one is)
CWSS Redux.esp (I don't know what this one is)
Clipboard.esp (I don't know what this one is)
SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp (I don't know what this one is)
SettlementPrivacy.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BetterGenerators.esp
The Real Castle Armory.esp
Radiation Protection Ring 10000.esp <- This one I suspect, as PA would over-ride this
Binoculars.esp
WattzLaserGun.esp
MMsLaserRCW.esp
F4NV-AMR.esp
Mk41GyrojetHMG.esp
Kor_Highlight.esp
AlienAssaultRifle.esp
PortableRecycler.esp
WhirligigRadarStation.esp
SolarPower.esp
Solar Street Lamps.esp
No Aggro Impact Landing.esp

Stimpaks Heal Rads.esp
AdvSettleTurretSet.esp
move that workbench!.esp
ExtendedScrapperDistancex2.esp
ExtendedScrapperDistancex2Harbor.esp
LongerHeadlampLight3x.esp
Stm_DiamondCityExpansion.esp
DCENS.esp (I don't know what this one is)
SaveManager.esp
MoreAccurateWeapons.esp
BetterCompanions.esp
Infinite Range Quest Markers.esp <- This might be a problem
Move (Get Out the Way).esp
Cel Respawn Timer 48.esp <- This might be a problem
LessAnnoyingLongs.esp
Unlocked Trade Caravan Post.esp
WorkshopPlus.esp

Kor_Scavenger.esp (I don't know what this one is)
HangManEx.esp (I don't know what this one is)
RedRocketEx.esp <- New Settlement mods can cause problems, if they aren't removed correctly. Which if the mod failed, it wasn't removed correctly.
SanctuaryEx.esp <- Same here
Rusty Face Fix.esp
BetterSettlers.esp <- Same Here
BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp
WorkshopPlus.esp
Better_Settlement_Defence.esp
MTM-Power Radius Increased.esp <- If you're using this, it may not have been "removed" correctly
Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp
Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp
Settlements - ALL DLC - Lights Out.esp
CastleWallsRepaired 3.esp
[777] Sanctuary - Reworked Roads.esp
AkaWaterWorld.esp
WorkshopRearranged.esp
Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp <- This one is dangerous. If it crashed, it could definitely cause a problem.
ImmersiveScrapping_SeasonPass.esp
BreakTheWallsDownFarHarbor.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BreakTheWallsDownNukaWorld.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BreakTheWallsDownVault88.esp (I don't know what this one is)
BreakTheWallsDown.esp

> StormWolf01 : thanks

Actually i just almost finished to test all the mods i had installed with a new character, also if loaded in a different order (doubt that this may be the problem, but cannot know) ... here is the list of the mods i reloaded and tested :

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp

WorkshopFramework.esm

XDI.esm <-- https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27216

SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp <-- https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4106

CWSS Redux.esp <-- adds working showers, toilets, and so on

Clipboard.esp <-- https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/31090

SettlementPrivacy.esp <-- https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26377

BetterGenerators.esp

The Real Castle Armory.esp

WhirligigRadarStation.esp

AkaWaterWorld.esp

Radiation Protection Ring 10000.esp <-- tried with and without, no differences

F4NV-AMR.esp

Binoculars.esp

WattzLaserGun.esp

MMsLaserRCW.esp

Mk41GyrojetHMG.esp

AlienAssaultRifle.esp

PortableRecycler.esp

SolarPower.esp

Solar Street Lamps.esp

Stimpaks Heal Rads.esp

move that workbench!.esp

Kor_Highlight.esp

Kor_Scavenger.esp <-- https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18539

ExtendedScrapperDistancex2.esp

ExtendedScrapperDistancex2Harbor.esp

AdvSettleTurretSet.esp

No Aggro Impact Landing.esp

LongerHeadlampLight3x.esp

Infinite Range Quest Markers.esp <-- tried with and without, no differences

Move (Get Out the Way).esp

LessAnnoyingLongs.esp

BetterCompanions.esp

ShelteredBeds.esp

Unlocked Trade Caravan Post.esp

SanctuaryEx.esp

HangManEx.esp

RedRocketEx.esp

Rusty Face Fix.esp

BetterSettlers.esp

BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp

BetterSettlersMostlyFemale.esp

BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp

Stm_DiamondCityExpansion.esp

DCENS.esp <-- is an addon for diamond city expansion

WorkshopPlus.esp

WorkshopRearranged.esp

MoreAccurateWeapons.esp

Better_Settlement_Defence.esp

MTM-Power Radius Increased.esp <-- never removed it

Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp

Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp

Settlements - ALL DLC - Lights Out.esp

[777] Sanctuary - Reworked Roads.esp

CastleWallsRepaired 3.esp

Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp <-- tried with and without, no differences

ImmersiveScrapping_SeasonPass.esp

BreakTheWallsDownFarHarbor.esp

BreakTheWallsDownNukaWorld.esp

BreakTheWallsDownVault88.esp

BreakTheWallsDown.esp

SaveManager.esp

About mods uninstallation, i always follow the instructions from the modder page, i learned years ago that it can cause problems (first time i tried mods, years ago, i disabled some of them brutally, and garbled all my game, never done it again after that time :) )

About SanctuaryEx.esp, HangManEx.esp, RedRocketEx.esp, they are not "new" settlements (i planned to use some new ones, but i will install them one by one lately), these are parts of this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29095 , they just expand a bit the "green boundaries" around settlements (only vanilla ones, without touch anything other), so you can have some more space and scrap some more items for resources.

About the "breakthewallsdown" ones, are all from this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12099 , it simply permit me to go outside the green zone without being kicked out from the workshop mode after 5 seconds (anyway i don't use it for build outside the green boundaries for not have problems with the game engine)

About cel respawn timer, i decided to not reinstall it, it was a test, anyway the CTDs was started before the moment i installed it, so probably it was not the cause.

With the new character and gamestart and this load order, til now i had no CTDs at all (at least til now) ... then i tried to load an old savegame from the previous character, for test if it was a load order problem, going in the same places and doing the same actions that don't cause CTDs with the new character, and CTDs and freezes again reappeared (so it was not depending from load order) ... i think is as you said, something that is "baked" in the saves and cause problems when loaded, so i will continue to use the new character and delete the old savegames, is a pity, but i see nothing other to do.

Still wondering about what may have caused the problem, cause i cannot remember any specific action that may have done it ... one day i was playing without any problem, saved and exited the game, restarted it the next day, and lots of CTDs, no idea why.

Ah, well, anyway is good enough to see that the new character can go in the game without problems (saying it whispering and keeping all 20 fingers crossed :) ), that may mean that the game files/engine/mechanic is probably not broken or scrambled itself.

Thanks for all the time spent trying to help me :)

Hello. if you use mods, add new textures, and you trying to delete some of those dds files -because you don't like what you see- well, that is one reason for many CTD. (There are mods add only textures and don't need a esp or esl file to activate them. Clean textures, clothes replace textures and some other categories of textures, so if you forgot, who of them, maybe you have added, is very difficult to find, what cause the problem, and maybe you need to reinstall the game and add those mods, you use).

Edited by romalight

Jonathan :) That is great news!! I am really, really glad to hear that you're playing and not getting the crashes!!

Oh, and sorry for the late response, I took a couple of days off from the nexus, lol.

Thanks for the explanation of what some of those mods do. It gives me an idea of what may have happened. Those boundary mods you have, may have failed, due to the version incompatibility created, when you updated the game.

If anything created inside the new boundary, was outside the Old boundary, when/if the mod failed, it made the workshops go URK! and you had workshop managed items out in the "real world" rather than inside the settlement. There's graphics issues that can be caused by that, but more importantly, there are scripting issues, because the workshop can no longer access that/those item(s). And scripting issues DO bake into a savegame, which we'd discussed earlier ;)

Aye, it really does suck when you have to delete old chars. If you have any that you are especially fond of you can rip their appearance using a gamesave scanner called FaceRipper. Tho, it does require you to be able to create a blank .esp file with either the CK or F04Edit. Or, if you can get into them long enough to enter the console, left click your self to get your ID # and then type in SLM IDnumber (whatever your char's id number is, and then create a preset of the character, using LooksMenu.

But yeah. It does suck. So here's a tip Ima give, to try to help you to avoid anymore corrupted savegames. NEVER test mods on your played savegames. Break the habit of just adding mods to your game, til after you test them (I still haven't broken that habit 100% and I've owned this game for 5 years....) with a working version of your load order.

The easiest way to do this, is by creating what I call Forks, or Branches of your main game. You accomplish this with a mod called Cheat Terminal. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13285

What CT does, is that it allows you to go in, and rename your character. Every time that you do that, your save game on that toon forks off/branches off, to a different save tree from the character, before it was renamed.

So for example, Say I have StormWolf01 that I'm playing. I decide to rename them StormWolf02. I now have two different branches of savegames, for the same character. Tho, one only starts from the point where I renamed them. 02 I can use to playtest mods on ;) Or, if I ruin it, I can go back and do another rename to 03 or whatever ;)

Romalight - Thats really good advice. Thats something that a lot of people don't think about when they're removing mods. And something that slips OUR minds a lot when we're trying to diagnose problems :thumbsup: