Fallout Script Extender with Steam?

Fistandilius

So I know the script extender version of Bethesda games requires you to run the script extender .exe.

I could of course change my desktop shortcut's path, but I had some questions about running it through the steam app.

1. I can of course rename the fallout4 executable and rename the extender executable to the original fo4 one and that would "swap" them. But if I do this, will Steam overwrite it if I have to use the "verify your game files" option for any reason?

2. I came across this steam guide that had an extra step I'd never heard of before. ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682660057 )It involves adding the old .exe to the "Loader" option in the script extender .ini. Can someone explain if this is necessary or desirable?

"1) Go to your Fallout 4 folder, which most likely is -"C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Fallout4\"
2) Rename the Fallout4.exe to F4.exe
3) Rename f4se_loader.exe to Fallout4.exe
4) Go to \data\f4se\ - if the f4se folder doesn't exist, create it.
5) Make a file called f4se.ini and write this in it

[Loader]
RuntimeName=F4.exe

6) Save file
7) Start Fallout 4 via steam and hit Play"

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Fistandilius

I would expect Steam would indeed replace the exe, with the original game exe..... as they wouldn't match what it was expecting.

I just have a shortcut on my desktop to f4se_loader.exe. Keep in mind, for me, I have to have steam already running for it to work properly. (I do not have steam starting with windows. I do not play games EVERY time I fire it up, so, starting steam is just a waste.)

I just have a shortcut on my desktop to f4se_loader.exe. Keep in mind, for me, I have to have steam already running for it to work properly. (I do not have steam starting with windows. I do not play games EVERY time I fire it up, so, starting steam is just a waste.)

Am I overthinking this? Is there a benefit or difference to running the game through steam vs. the shortcut?

Yes, if there is a game update that changes the .exe file (like .162 and .163 did) it will replace the .exe file. Also bear in mind that the f4se exe targets your fallout 4.exe file.

TBH, the only thing you will lose is the steam overlay. You can get other fps monitoring apps that are far less invasive.

I've run the game directly thru the f4se.exe for several years now, and don't mind it at all. It actually completely bypasses steam. So if steam does an update, and I read on here that the update is BAD, or has harsh effects, guess what? I didn't get that update (yet) LOL.

( I also make backups of my gamefiles tho. As in, my sig.)

Just right click on the f4se.exe file, right click somewhere on your desktop, and choose Paste Shortcut. Problem solved :wink:

Yes, if there is a game update that changes the .exe file (like .162 and .163 did) it will replace the .exe file. Also bear in mind that the f4se exe targets your fallout 4.exe file.

Is that why that "tutorial" I linked to does that .ini edit? I've never heard of that before I saw that guide.

Is that why that "tutorial" I linked to does that .ini edit? I've never heard of that before I saw that guide.

Heyas Fistandilius :smile:

Sorry for the very late response, I'm afraid I have my notifications sent to an email that I don't check very often :whistling:

Which .ini alteration are you referring to? There's like... 10 pages of responses on that topic..... Oh wait, duh. You listed it in your OP.

I do know that f4se by itself, does not use a .ini file. One can be created to list specialized instructions, or to keep specific records for the program to use (thats what a .ini file does). However, I really don't know much about making programs, so I don't know if that is within the realm of what F4se is capable of. I also don't have that file, in my installation, so I'm afraid that I don't have anything to reference :(

And, from what I'm finding on the internet, I'm just finding reddits (mostly) about that .ini file either being missing, or not working :(

So I'm really sorry for not having an answer for you, on this one :(