Dead Mod Flagging

mxmissile

Any flag or vote or what ever can and will be abused. Such a flag as requested can (and will) be used by nefarious persons to label a mod as "doesn't work" out of spite, ignorance, bigotry or envy. So no. Bad idea.

Basically this sums it up why we don't have such a thing. A "dead" mod (i.e. something that hasn't been updated in 10+ years) could still work fine, so there's no way to programmatically determine if a mod is outdated and relying on some kind of voting system is open to abuse.

Not if it "doesn't work", huge difference between a mod that works 10 years later and mod that doesn't work. But I get it, clicks and downloads for a broken mod trump player frustration. :thumbsup:

Well again.. The problem is not the Mod, it's your game version. Its not very common, yet not an uncommon problem either. If your game can not be loaded to an earlier version, that is a separate disappointment. Another which you are not alone in experiencing. However, if it can be then I would assume the Mod should work.

Ya know that reminds me, sometime the issue isn't that the Mod doesn't work, it's simply a matter of updating the code so it will even try to install with the Game now because of the version number. It them becomes a matter of learning how to get in there to 'fix it' yourself manually, or recruit another Modder to look into it (results vary wildly).

(Side Note: Apologies for the quote, it was not the one intended. Editor Im used to Quotes the other way from that buttons positioning. I can not figure out how to properly edit this one out or delete it outright to do over. Perhaps cuz a forum mod statement is included?)

Edited by AbsynthMinded

I think it's not a bad idea but I don't see any good way to implement it. Maybe a mod could be flagged as dead if the author hasn't signed in for a very long time? Still, I don't really see a need for it as the comment section will quickly tell you if a mod is still in care or not.

This is about as "good" of an idea as implementing dislikes. The last thing we need is random people who have negative knowledge about mod and game functionality to weigh in with their wrongful assertions.

This is about as "good" of an idea as implementing dislikes. The last thing we need is random people who have negative knowledge about mod and game functionality to weigh in with their wrongful assertions.

Bethesda sure learned that one the hard way. :)

Any flag or vote or what ever can and will be abused. Such a flag as requested can (and will) be used by nefarious persons to label a mod as "doesn't work" out of spite, ignorance, bigotry or envy. So no. Bad idea.

Basically this sums it up why we don't have such a thing. A "dead" mod (i.e. something that hasn't been updated in 10+ years) could still work fine, so there's no way to programmatically determine if a mod is outdated and relying on some kind of voting system is open to abuse.

Not if it "doesn't work", huge difference between a mod that works 10 years later and mod that doesn't work. But I get it, clicks and downloads for a broken mod trump player frustration. :thumbsup:

Well again.. The problem is not the Mod, it's your game version. Its not very common, yet not an uncommon problem either. If your game can not be loaded to an earlier version, that is a separate disappointment. Another which you are not alone in experiencing. However, if it can be then I would assume the Mod should work.

Ya know that reminds me, sometime the issue isn't that the Mod doesn't work, it's simply a matter of updating the code so it will even try to install with the Game now because of the version number. It them becomes a matter of learning how to get in there to 'fix it' yourself manually, or recruit another Modder to look into it (results vary wildly).

(Side Note: Apologies for the quote, it was not the one intended. Editor Im used to Quotes the other way from that buttons positioning. I can not figure out how to properly edit this one out or delete it outright to do over. Perhaps cuz a forum mod statement is included?)

While I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to try to come up with ideas, there's a problem with that one.

I'll speak from my own experience. I have mods that were posted to the Nexus 10 years or so ago, from an old account. To the best of my knowledge, those mods still work. That account, hasn't logged in for 10+ years. User activity doesn't reflect whether the mod works or not.

It only shows whether or not the mod has potentially been updated. And in the case of some games, or some mods, they don't need to be.

There's also cases where modders have left Nexus, and turned their work over to other modders. I've been out of the loop for 10 years, so I'm not familiar with how situations such as that, would get handled by the system.