How long have you been modding games?

TommyNighthawk

For me, since I was a teenager and I am 33 now. I started modding Civ 3 back in the mid 2000s. I still even have a project under development for it. I like creating custom content and find it sometimes almost as fun as playing the games themselves. I am a fairly creative guy.

The first game I modified was Colossal Cave Adventure in 1978. It was written in Fortran and running on an IBM 370 Mainframe. I still have the source listing in my archive.

Long enough that I can't remember when I started.

Officially, I guess I started modding games either with Midnight Club 2 or Morrowind.

Unoffically, it was Ultima Online. Don't ask specifics, I've already dated my age too much as it is!

I started fiddling with the Construction Set for Oblivion many years ago, back when I was 14-15. I taught myself how to use it through trial and error, that and digging up years old forum posts through Google searches. I started out making stupid stuff for the hell of it, like creating a spell that could spawn trolls or filling random interiors with hundreds of tiny, hostile NPCs. That's how you learn!

As the years went by I came back to modding Oblivion here and there. Eventually I rediscovered a passion for it when I got the idea to make something and upload it here on Nexus. Uploaded my first mod in March of 2020 and haven't looked back since.

Edited by IcelandicPsychotic

• 3 weeks later...

I released my first mod about 12 years ago and it was not for a TES.

Heh. I used to have a paintball marker (several, actually) that was named by the manufacturer "TES". Seeing it in print like that made me go down memory lane :wub:

If it was morrowind, for me.... I think my first personal mod was cheater arrows. Arrows that inflicted paralysis, then burning, and poisoning. (Yes, I really really REALLY hated those ugly flying featherless birds!) And some personal mods for player homes. And I got recruited by He That Shall Not Be Named for one of his armor/weapon mods for one of his custom races doing conceptualization and concept art.

If it was MC2.... omg modding that game was a nightmare in tediousness! Use a special program to decode the game's archive files, extract the contents of those files. .Zip about 3 gigs worth of those files up into a .zip folder that you had to rename the extension to, afterwards. Then RE extract them, every time you wanted to make a change, and then RE Archive them AGAIN.....

And heaven help you if you were switching out parts on a car, or making one car into a different car. That game had like, at least 20-30 files, just for one car body! And that's not counting the technical data files, which were separated out into different files! :pinch:

And this was on SUB 1 ghz processors! SINGLE Processors!

Meh. There goes memory lane! Anyways, started modding the favorite car for better speed. Then for more durability. Then for better handling. Then for better friction (game term, not mine). Again and again and again for better friction....

If you have ever modded the files for Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto games, you will see how complex those car mod files are, and understand how much trial and error is involved with those. As MC2 was pretty much the grandfather for GTA.

I DO remember that I wanted to get Robin to try out that game, later on. I wanted to make a modded out Porsche for him, since he was really into those cars at the time.

Just never got around to seeing if he wanted to check it out :confused:

Not really modding anything right now. Too much work :( Tho the interest is Fallout 4.

I released my first mod about 12 years ago and it was not for a TES.

Heh. I used to have a paintball marker (several, actually) that was named by the manufacturer "TES". Seeing it in print like that made me go down memory lane :wub:

If it was morrowind, for me.... I think my first personal mod was cheater arrows. Arrows that inflicted paralysis, then burning, and poisoning. (Yes, I really really REALLY hated those ugly flying featherless birds!) And some personal mods for player homes. And I got recruited by He That Shall Not Be Named for one of his armor/weapon mods for one of his custom races doing conceptualization and concept art.

If it was MC2.... omg modding that game was a nightmare in tediousness! Use a special program to decode the game's archive files, extract the contents of those files. .Zip about 3 gigs worth of those files up into a .zip folder that you had to rename the extension to, afterwards. Then RE extract them, every time you wanted to make a change, and then RE Archive them AGAIN.....

And heaven help you if you were switching out parts on a car, or making one car into a different car. That game had like, at least 20-30 files, just for one car body! And that's not counting the technical data files, which were separated out into different files! :pinch:

And this was on SUB 1 ghz processors! SINGLE Processors!

Meh. There goes memory lane! Anyways, started modding the favorite car for better speed. Then for more durability. Then for better handling. Then for better friction (game term, not mine). Again and again and again for better friction....

If you have ever modded the files for Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto games, you will see how complex those car mod files are, and understand how much trial and error is involved with those. As MC2 was pretty much the grandfather for GTA.

I DO remember that I wanted to get Robin to try out that game, later on. I wanted to make a modded out Porsche for him, since he was really into those cars at the time.

Just never got around to seeing if he wanted to check it out :confused:

Not really modding anything right now. Too much work :sad: Tho the interest is Fallout 4.

I loved cliffracers. They made for an excellent opportunity to increase my archery skill. :D I would actually go HUNTING them.