Is Bethesda Trying to Kill Modding Community?

reskyrim95

Regarding GOG, you might notice that along with the lack of DRM the GOG version also removes the Creation Club and Bethesda.net mods. So it's likely no coincidence that it was authorized immediately after Bethesda quit making CC content and dumped all the remaining as a DLC collection, and after they decided to downplay Bethesda.net since Microsoft already has its own content distribution system.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, thanks for trying to explain. i think it is common that a gamer want the best mods without getting stuck midgame just because a content upgrade destroys his game/setup, result: some mods will not run, some others will never run again and the game the will ctd since the content upgrade on steam can not be prevented - maybe drm free gog release in fututre will prevent such "nice" surprises,

question again: waiting 10 years for drm free gog skyrim ? 10 years too late but better than never. thanks bethesda! this is all a flat and sad joke but not flat earth at all as you say.

where is the logic to destroy a game with drm ? why have common gamer to suffer from this stupid steam distribution of the game for over 10 years until it gets reasonable and drm free?

oblivon was the last steam free game from bethesda while the gamer had full control over updates (not ruled by steam). and obse worked and i decided if i updated or not. not anyone else.

no internet dependency at all. just free decision.

it was a better time and i my opinion drm/steam was wjatever you want - but not userfriendly at all. never ! why gog 10 years later and not bethesa ? so we had to wait 10 years for gog tp play skyrim like the cd version for oblivion. what an incredible advance and logic after 10 years steam dependency without a choice, a "gamer friendly" decision by bethesda we all know now...

i know many people like steam platform. and many people like collections. and they the dependencies from a third party. i'm ok with it it as long as i`m not urged to change things just for profit.

i´ve never liked steam but i had no choice to play skyrim drm free due to this stupid move - waiting 10 years with a steam virus on my pc ( big brother background advertising process) to see a drm free skyrim and i do not have to fear updates in the wrong moment.

maybe this saves also the community . even if bethesda produces the next update mess - just nobody cares, like with oblivion and obse long ago.

DRM is pretty much useless, and a waste of money. Why game companies continue to pretend otherwise is beyond me. Look at Spore, lo these many years ago. The publisher was touting it's 'unbreakable' DRM, right up until the game hit the pirate sites, 3 weeks BEFORE it's official release date. Of course, the same goes for pretty much any title..... it hits the pirate sites within days of release. (if not mere hours.....) The game companies think DRM prevents piracy, but that simply isn't the case.

That said, steam isn't DRM. It's a distribution platform, and that's it. It doesn't prevent, or even slow down, piracy, in any way, shape, form, or manner. However, publishers don't have to spend money making 5 million disks, and packaging thereof. Potentially MILLIONS of dollars..... Hence, digital distribution is 'the wave of the future'...... Which really kinda makes sense, as the bulk of the population that buys games, already has a fairly fat pipe to the internet.

I would put forward that DRM actually CAUSES piracy. Look at the fiasco of fallout 3, and Games for Windows Live...... The DRM stopped people from playing a game they had legally purchased..... Also note, GFWL went the way of the Dodo...... Not really a surprise. :D Considering how badly it sucked. :D

Edited by HeyYou

blah... blah

DRM is pretty much useless, and a waste of money. Why game companies continue to pretend otherwise is beyond me. Look at Spore, lo these many years ago. The publisher was touting it's 'unbreakable' DRM, right up until the game hit the pirate sites, 3 weeks BEFORE it's official release date. Of course, the same goes for pretty much any title..... it hits the pirate sites within days of release. (if not mere hours.....) The game companies think DRM prevents piracy, but that simply isn't the case.

true, the leading concern for gamers is the quality of the content, not the presence of technological protection measures, compromising their system, os or privacy.

blah... blah

true, the leading concern for gamers is the quality of the content, not the presence of technological protection measures, compromising their system, os or privacy.

And what was really aggravating was, For FO3, folks with legit copies couldn't play, because of GFWL, while the pirated versions worked just fine.....

blah... blah

And what was really aggravating was, For FO3, folks with legit copies couldn't play, because of GFWL, while the pirated versions worked just fine.....

GFWL was free, and easily obtained, and still is. Any complaints about GFWL are based in ignorance, foolishness or deliberate falsehood.

blah... blah

GFWL was free, and easily obtained, and still is. Any complaints about GFWL are based in ignorance, foolishness or deliberate falsehood.

funny i offer a mod here on nexus solving the fo3 steam gfwl mess for these foolish people. funny that you tell something about foolishness while sitting in front of a black fo3 screen just nobody told you that since win 10 gfwl is not part of the os anymore and steam just forgot o upload a gwfl free fo3 version without offering that info. this is only one example of stupid copy protection punishing paying gamer and excluding them to play a game they purchased. who is the fool here?

Guest deleted34304850

...and you'd know about those topics, eh?

What's funny is that when they updated Fallout 3 on Steam last year to remove the GFWL dependency, people complained about it because it didn't work with FOSE.

funny is also that this problem was based on the region you uploaded fo3 from steam - (sarcasm on) foolish gamer, just downloaded in the wrong region...(sarcasm off)

in the meantime this issue should be globally solved but i don't know and i doubt old fose is compatible with the updated game versions...

has anybody infos about this fose compatibility issue ? as far as i know you have to rollback to version 1.7.0.3 to be fose compatible (this was 10 months ago) otherwise you will experience severe problems with modded fo3 (same as with suddenly updated skyrimAE and wrong skse64 version)

blah... blah

Sure. Uh huh. Never did I say that it cost anything, and yeah, it was installed right along with the game, from the game disk, don't know why you are whining about that. And yes, it DID cause issues. Denying reality is based in ignorance, or deliberate falsehood.