@reply or replying to so and so

Rex7Dragon95

is it really that hard to add a text when you hit reply on a mod page comment

y'all really can't add this

@Rex7Dragon95

or Replying To Rex7Dragon95

doesn't even have to be fancy it can be a script that prints the text to a name as soon as you hit reply it adds

Replying To user name here

this is why arguments starts on nexus cause the conversation gets lost or scrambled

i should know I've been on here for a LONG time.

just saying but i doubt anyone cares or there just going to defend some junk reason for not doing it.

Edited by Rex7Dragon95

The mod comment pages have a "reply" button that can be used, but that's an entirely different set up than the forums use.

Much different code, and I Do Believe, a different server company, as well as different software used.

I know that here in the forums, they use a pretty commonly used software, that unfortunately, also hasn't undergone any major updates in what the tech field would call "quite some time". :laugh:

2010. Yes, yes indeed, you have indeed been here for quite a while. That's really awesome! I always love seeing that members have stuck around the place for so long! The longer the better! :thumbsup: :yes:

Heh. That made me wonder, how old my original account was. Had to go look that up! :D

Using the quote or multiquote function is kinda how we'd been doing it for a really long time. And for a while, before I left Nexus, we'd type in the @insertnamehere if we were addressing more than one person per post. Doesn't really seem like members do THAT anymore tho :( Or at least, not often :(

is it really that hard to add a text when you hit reply on a mod page comment

y'all really can't add this

@Rex7Dragon95

or Replying To Rex7Dragon95

doesn't even have to be fancy it can be a script that prints the text to a name as soon as you hit reply it adds

Replying To user name here

this is why arguments starts on nexus cause the conversation gets lost or scrambled

i should know I've been on here for a LONG time.

just saying but i doubt anyone cares or there just going to defend some junk reason for not doing it.

As StormWolf alluded to. It's not a feature because it's not something supported by the IPBoard forum. We have discussed it as a potential feature for our new comments system that is entirely build by us. It well debut with Collections before eventually being used for mod pages too.

"Store"Wolf???

MIKE!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The "E" key is nowhere near the "M" ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah. I didn't wanna come off as throwing shade. What with the forum software being "old" and whatnot. But yeah. That's what I was alluding to.

That is pretty cool that we may have it in the features for some parts of the site.

Thanks for letting us know! :D

Is this version just out of date? We use IP Boards over at dodge forum as well, and when someone does the @heyyou thing, I get a notification that I was tagged in a post.

We've heavily customised the version of IPBoard we use, so it's not trivial (or even possible) to just update it, sadly. The main website and this forum are so heavily entwinned that it's been one of the focuses of the dev team for many years now to decouple the two. You'll have seen this with the new login and memberships systems most prominently. Once we've surgically removed all the custom code then the forum can go back to being "just a forum" which would make it more likely to be upgradable (or at that point we might even be able to replace it entirely with something new, if we can keep the conversations). We're still a few years off from that though.

Is this version just out of date? We use IP Boards over at dodge forum as well, and when someone does the @heyyou thing, I get a notification that I was tagged in a post.

We've heavily customised the version of IPBoard we use, so it's not trivial (or even possible) to just update it, sadly. The main website and this forum are so heavily entwinned that it's been one of the focuses of the dev team for many years now to decouple the two. You'll have seen this with the new login and memberships systems most prominently. Once we've surgically removed all the custom code then the forum can go back to being "just a forum" which would make it more likely to be upgradable (or at that point we might even be able to replace it entirely with something new, if we can keep the conversations). We're still a few years off from that though.

Just don't go to something awful, like Jive.... or anything that looks 'similar'. Beth basically killed their forums with that crappy software.

Or just forget about the "@" altogether, be polite, and address the person by the name they took.

Like this:

"But Jim, that would require users to make use of typing skills, and use up 1 more second of their time...."

Edit: Btw Jim, I'm not being snarky at you ;)

It's just the further that we get into this, the more it makes me think that people are just getting lazy, and/or antisocial.