⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

flat file (non-fomod) SKSE mod for SkyrimSE installed incorrectly

Fractalbase
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

For example, with the following mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/76783?tab=files

the mod contents are a flat-file archive, with afaik no fomod instructions.

at the root should be the DynamicCollisionAdjustment esl, with the DynamicCollisionAdjustment dll in the /SKSE/Plugins folder, along with all of the other content files.

However, when I install this mod, the install folder for the mod only contains the DynamicCollisionAdjustment.dll file, and at the root of the mod folder.

Deploying said installation places the dll file in the data directory instead of Data/SKSE/Plugins, and since none of the other files are there, obviously the mod won't work.

I just noticed this behavior recently. Perhaps it is my setup somehow, but I don't know how my local installation would result in Vortex installing mods differently.

I tried "update installing" Vortex to no avail.

I also tried downloading the mod manually and installing from file in Vortex, same result.

I tried a trick where I installed the mod, and erased the incorrect install folder contents and replaced with the contents of the mod archive. The mod now works for me locally.

This has me concerned because I haven't tested extensively if the mod installation issue is just with skse mods or with other mods as well, and I'm going to wait on installing and new or updated mods for now.

TL;DR some skyrim se mods don't install correctly in Vortex, and ideas as to why?

I've just installed that mod and it worked as expected.

https://privatebin.nexusmods.com/?dfa3eccb7ab89e37#G2XAc57xr9gq9cQhStbWYPZsynELnGNWzLNconFcewX8

^ This is the install report, which you can generate in the right-click menu.

Perhaps you could be more specific about the expected file structure and the actual file structure? Vortex extracting that archive into the staging folder directly is the correct behaviour.

@Fractalbase Just tested it out of curiosity. DCA installed correctly for me. File structure and file locations are correct. I am thinking that maybe if you have missing files, your AV is messing with it somehow.

This is still happening for me, and for quite a few mods, particularly skse mods. Perhaps my install of Vortex got corrupted somehow (which is likely, I had some odd restarts of the program recently).

Any recommendations for reinstalling Vortex to reset to default features without losing my downloaded and installed mods?

Here's an example of the difference in files, this is for TK Recoil SE: https://imgur.com/a/1I1pIBb

the archive shows all of the files. But the installation folder through Vortex just shows the dll file in the root folder (not SKSE/Plugins/).

I'm wondering if I have a bad Vortex extension or if my Vortex install got corrupted somehow.

Here is the install report (notice that there is no plugin mentioned, but the mentioned overwritten file is a dll file:

*** Vortex mod report for: TK Recoil SE
<This report was automatically generated by Vortex using the information from the reporter's installation, including any alterations - intentional or otherwise - they may have made to the data.>
* Mod details
Mod name: TK Recoil SE
Version: 1.411
Archive: TK Recoil SE-14905-1-411-1663081194.7z
Mod type: default
Managed game: skyrimse
Mod intended for: skyrimse, enderalspecialedition, skyrimvr
MD5 checksum: d27b2f7916192b7845cc9ff2c3f64d04
Download source: nexus (mod 14905, file 315812)
Last deployment: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 15:44:24 GMT
Deployment method: hardlink_activator
* Deployed files
<None>
* Files overwritten by other mod
TKHitStop.dll (e3b44f908bedf72dbedd02227aa6fbe9) - TK Hitstop SE-14904-1-411-1663079066
* Files not deployed
<None>
* Files that are supposed to be deployed but weren't found
<None>
* Files that are present but couldn't be read
<None>
* Plugins
<None>

Ah, now I see your problem. That was happening to me until Picky set me straight. You need to "unpack as is" (rather than"enable) and set mod type to engine injector. Do both settings before you deploy. See this thread for more detail: Bug: Mod type "Engine Injector"