Mod Creators are Wonderful,Imaginative,Creative People

mrenfrew

Like most people I played Fallout 4 at first with the 4 Factions, and I could have quit there but I discovered mods.I was really nervous that I would mess up my game or worse my laptop.I made so many mistakes but through forums and you tube videos, I learned how to fix things. Since August of 2016, I have downloaded 1226 mods (Some are New Vegas). I just topped 3000 hours and that is because of all the wonderful mods available for not just Fallout 4 but many games. I wish to thank all the mod authors for the 6 years of fun. I'm still playing because I keep finding new mods to explore. You guys keep the game alive, Also a special thanks to Gopher and Oxhorn who taught and inspired me, and KINGGATH who has the most wonderful imagination. Thank You!

modding is making an already nice (probably not error free) game better and richer and can open it for new gaming experiences. i hope that in future the creative part of modding will always have priority instead of any monetary or business driven interests interfering with creativity or sacrificing it for whatever. game development is creative but it is restricted by business interests. modding creativity is making a modded game unique and what it is - hopefully never driven by money and budget.

thanks to sites like nexusmods places exist to showcase creative addons. i'm sure as long as creativity is not sacrificed for money driven interests modding will always be an enrichment and a great enhancement, pleasure and an unrestricted source of fun for gamers. so if mod authors are treated with some respect to preserve or praise their creativity - this is a good contribution - like this topic.

since some restrictions in summer 2021 for mod authors we all know this is not treated as self evident fact anymore but more as a matter of a new direction and new and other priorities and interests.

Well, there is a flip-side to everything. Beth understood that by supporting modding with some serious tools like CK, they could monetize on it, Selling more copies for a longer time.

Its Beth's hunger for money that gave us this opportunity.

This site exists because there is money to be made on people searching for mods.

I like indie devs. as they are more likely to work without 'deadlines'. But they also lack the budgets and personnel to create a huge game like FO4. I've been following a guy who's working on a isometric RPG with thousands of star systems, with planets & space stations to explore, resources to be gathered and quests to complete, for over 10 years, and he only just started on the story telling...

Yep. Apart from the isometric view, Beth just did the same. More advanced in every way, in a fraction of the time.

I believe Morrowind was the first game Beth released the Dev Tools for.... and modding really didn't have much of an impact on sales. Now, the game is STILL being played today though, and I do believe that modding is the primary reason for that. But, it wasn't until Beth started offering mods on consoles that I think it REALLY started to pay off for them... Paid Mods 1.0 would have REALLY made some money, but, small, but VERY vocal group nixed that particular idea. Which is really too bad... as modders could have benefited significantly from that as well. Paid Mods 2.0 is ok, but, modders get zero residual income from that..... Great for beth... Ok for modders, probably invisible to players..... except that version 1.0 wold have had significantly more, and arguably better, content......

You have modders creating frameworks that just extend the game into a more playable state. That is what gives the game it's legs.

Ex. Weapons Gameplay Frameworks:

Weapon Disassembly

Weapon Degradation

Weapon Jamming

Weapon Recoil (instead of auto return)

Weapon Field Swapping of Components (things like Suppressors, Sights, Folding/Unfolding Stocks, etc)

Swapping Firing Modes (Semi/Burst/Auto)

Ammo Crafting (i.e. Handloading)

Tactical Reload

Bullet Counted Reload

Fine Zoom (variable zoom scopes)

Toggleable Night Vision Scopes (instead of always on)

Leaning from behind cover to shoot

Gun Inertia

ALL of this was missing from the base game - and easily a dozen or more things I didn't mention.

Things like Revolver Fanning, Slam Fire with Shotguns, Swapping Ammo Types, Weapons as Apparel items, etc, etc.

. as modders could have benefited significantly from that as well. Paid Mods 2.0 is ok, but, modders get zero residual income from that..... Great for beth... Ok for modders, probably invisible to players..... except that version 1.0 wold have had significantly more, and arguably better, content......

Paid mods on Steam Workshop would have been a disaster. Bethesda wanted to be "hands off" and leave it as self-regulating. The result was that five minutes after they announced it people started talking about stealing other people's free mods and releasing them as paid mods. And releasing free mods with "poison pills" in them that would screw up people's save games and then charging for the "fixed" update. And pretty much every other way they could screw over more reputable modders in an unsupervised environment.

Which is why Creation Club is controlled by Bethesda directly.

. as modders could have benefited significantly from that as well. Paid Mods 2.0 is ok, but, modders get zero residual income from that..... Great for beth... Ok for modders, probably invisible to players..... except that version 1.0 wold have had significantly more, and arguably better, content......

Paid mods on Steam Workshop would have been a disaster. Bethesda wanted to be "hands off" and leave it as self-regulating. The result was that five minutes after they announced it people started talking about stealing other people's free mods and releasing them as paid mods. And releasing free mods with "poison pills" in them that would screw up people's save games and then charging for the "fixed" update. And pretty much every other way they could screw over more reputable modders in an unsupervised environment.

Which is why Creation Club is controlled by Bethesda directly.

Not surprising. Yes, there would have been some issues, but, isn't that the case for any new venture? All of those issues would have been ironed out. Folks trying to game the system would have lost their accounts. But, Steam chickened out.

Without some sort of oversight, it never would have been straightened out. Think, early days of Bethesda.net but with money involved.

Some of the stuff. like suddenly making a mod require payment, probably wouldn't have been enough to take away someone's account. Not unless it was separate from the account they bought games on.

Without some sort of oversight, it never would have been straightened out. Think, early days of Bethesda.net but with money involved.

Some of the stuff. like suddenly making a mod require payment, probably wouldn't have been enough to take away someone's account. Not unless it was separate from the account they bought games on.

As I recall, there were some restrictions on it, I.E. you couldn't just immediately slap all of your mods behind a paywall. Had to be "New" material, or some such. But, we can debate this till the cows come home, and accomplish all of nothing. Valve shut it down, and it ain't comin' back. I knew that Beth setting up their own site, part of the purpose of that was paid mods, but, CC isn't what I had envisioned.....