Mis-pronunciations that incite people

StormWolf01

I met another guy from the south with an accent so down south he confused the h... out of me when he asked. Are you a maaah reene? He stressed the letter a in Ma so it stretched out and said the letter i as if they were a bunch of eeees all the way to the n's end. I think he was almost out of breath when he got to the ine because he sounded like he was winding up for a high pitch. LOL Maaah reene. Are you a marine?

Madam also was a title given a women who was the head Marm of a brothel. Yes; Marm is a word. variant spelling of ma'am

That's spot on soupdragon, mum only means mother here (Australia) I've never heard this "mums the word" before, I'm perplexed how that even remotely translates to "shut up" lol :smile:

"Mums the word" or "keep mum" does mean keep quiet about something so it is a kind of "shut up".

I met another guy from the south with an accent so down south he confused the h... out of me when he asked. Are you a maaah reene? He stressed the letter a in Ma so it stretched out and said the letter i as if they were a bunch of eeees all the way to the n's end. I think he was almost out of breath when he got to the ine because he sounded like he was winding up for a high pitch. LOL Maaah reene. Are you a marine?

Madam also was a title given a women who was the head Marm of a brothel. Yes; Marm is a word. variant spelling of ma'am

I was driving down to visit friends in Florida, from Michigan, and stopped at a hotel in Kentucky to get some sleep. It was late, I was tired, and the guy behind the counter had a THICK southern accent.... I could not understand a word he was saying... I told him I wanted a room, he said something, and I just started putting money on the counter until he nodded, gave me back some change, and a key. We both smiled, and I went and passed out for a few hours. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving down to visit friends in Florida, from Michigan, and stopped at a hotel in Kentucky to get some sleep. It was late, I was tired, and the guy behind the counter had a THICK southern accent.... I could not understand a word he was saying... I told him I wanted a room, he said something, and I just started putting money on the counter until he nodded, gave me back some change, and a key. We both smiled, and I went and passed out for a few hours. :D

The guy that confused me was in the infirmary where I was waiting for medical treatment to determine what condition my left leg was in. Two men in the infirmary were sitting at desks. I turned to ask what the man was saying. All three of them got up, approached me, grabbed me, and pushed me into a corner nose in the corner.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

pronouncing the a's and i's like that is pretty common down south. you kinda get used to it after a while