The Next-Gen Update...What would you like to see "fixed"?

edgeburner

From an overall perspective, not just what was included in the info we have garnered so far. From textures and uh, "MESHES" to lighting, to game-play, to game mechanics and so on and so on.
Consider this sort of a "wish list". Be they minor annoyances or major.

I highly doubt that we're gonna see any of those things mentioned above, because that would be like a sort of remaster. Would I love to have those things? I sure do. But it's highly unlikely. My prediction is: It's gonna be a simple update with an FPS fix, ultra wide screen support, a couple of minor bug fixes and unreleased creation club content. Pretty much what they've mentioned so far.

If I had to do a realistic wishlist it would look like that:

1. PBR materials

2. Distant weather systems

I highly doubt that we're gonna see any of those things mentioned above, because that would be like a sort of remaster. Would I love to have those things? I sure do. But it's highly unlikely. My prediction is: It's gonna be a simple update with an FPS fix, ultra wide screen support, a couple of minor bug fixes and unreleased creation club content. Pretty much what they've mentioned so far.

1. PBR materials

Agreed, l doubt we'll se those issues I mentioned. Personally, I see this as sort of a creation club promoter, as well as a tide-me-over to sate those who crave Fallout Five? Dunno, but, I like to hear different takes on what the B-word should fix/improve.

1. PBR materials

You forgot the 4K 'support'. Albeit a bit vague on what that entails. (it will support a 4K screen res. (?) or has 4K textures (?)

I hope it includes the last (even though that would render many hours I spend on upscaling them from 2K to 4K as a useless exercise), but fear its just the first.)

Anyway, it HAS to be more then what you expect, as it will NOT be available for older consoles, but if it only includes what you mention, it would still run on a PS4.

Fixed by who?

Modders or Bethesda?

Modders have done a great job with the settlement system and weapons related things (reloads, animations, new weapons, additional frameworks).

Only thing I'd really like to see I doubt anyone wants to see - a hand reload animation for a swing out cylinder revolver - i.e. a Colt Python.

The Colt SAA is literally the only hand loaded revolver in the game.

Bethesda? They really need to be spending their time on the "Next Gen" installments of these franchises that left ALOT to be desired on release - not a game that is nearing it's 10th anniversary. i.e. FO5, Skyrim VI, etc.

Ex. Zestoflemon did yeoman's work getting a properly functioning Kar98K using both Tactical Reload and Bullet Counted Reload. The issue was the version of TR was 1.2, one known for being a mess and creating crashes. TR have been looking to address that with their latest iteration - still in testing phase. A seemless rifle that just does what it's supposed to whether you have a Scope mounted or not is the holy grail of all of the hand loaded weapons. Use a stripper clip when possible, hand load when it's not.

Edited by fraquar

Bethesda? They really need to be spending their time on the "Next Gen" installments of these franchises that left ALOT to be desired on release - not a game that is nearing it's 10th anniversary. i.e. FO5, Skyrim VI, etc.

The teams at Bethesda who do work on new games and the teams that do work on updating/maintaining old games are not the same.

It's not a case of "they should do A instead of B". The A team has been on Starfield all this time. Nothing being done for Creation Club, Anniversary Edition or Next-gen updates has pulled any work from the A team. And nothing can be done on either FO5 or ES6 until the A team is done with Starfield.

i guess for most users this update is will be already covered by mods in the meantime without the hassle a new bethesda update will introduce.

- i play this game 4k res without problems and stable capped 80 fps in almost all regions apart from some very bad optimised areas (with a minimum of 45 fps in the swan pond area) with ugrids=7 and ultra settings.

- dlss and fsr is supported by mod.

- 60hz physics problem is solved by mod.

- a truly essential mod exists in the meantime covering forgotten but essential lod textures, meshes and settings related to lod.

- many 4k texture mods exist with the ability to overwhelm most hw with ultra settings since or even before the official free texture update.

so - what do we need ?

a new script extender and hassle with mods that work currently flawless?

at least i probably do not need this including maybe nice but not essential cc content.

my fo4 setup works better than ever and i'm not keen to ruin that with an "anniversary update" which is not "certified" stable for a modded game setup.

the problems will be comparable with the skyrim se update.

so this upate maybe has a value to vanilla game console players but the value for a pc user seems to me "manageable".

don't forget your backup before any update. just in case...

1. PBR materials

You forgot the 4K 'support'. Albeit a bit vague on what that entails. (it will support a 4K screen res. (?) or has 4K textures (?)

I hope it includes the last (even though that would render many hours I spend on upscaling them from 2K to 4K as a useless exercise), but fear its just the first.)

Anyway, it HAS to be more then what you expect, as it will NOT be available for older consoles, but if it only includes what you mention, it would still run on a PS4.

Definitely 4K, yeah. I kind of implicitly included that when I mentioned ultra wide screens, since the vast majority of them are 4K anyway, and most games nowadays just support it natively, so I'm taking that as a given. Although 4K textures would make a lot of sense, I again highly doubt that they're gonna go back and manually redo most of the old textures. If they do it at all, it will be AI based.