Let's end the AI content debate - Does anyone have a good contact for Bethesada? (Yes, seriously)

lazloarcadia

As such I seeing no reason for them to change that stand point now with some of the VA's getting upset. In fact, if anything I expect they will simply no longer work with VA that make a big fuss about it.

Nah, man. VA's have value to the company. They are names that can be used to promote the games. These are people who headline panels at conventions and host big presentations.

They are worth far more to the company than pleasing some modders would be.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As such I seeing no reason for them to change that stand point now with some of the VA's getting upset. In fact, if anything I expect they will simply no longer work with VA that make a big fuss about it.

Nah, man. VA's have value to the company. They are names that can be used to promote the games. These are people who headline panels at conventions and host big presentations.

They are worth far more to the company than pleasing some modders would be.

It will probably depend on how many make how much fuss about it.

If you are just one of a few, you will be easily bypassed. No matter your name.

Besides, you seem to underestimate the value of modding for Bethesda. They are not doing it to please anyone, but the shareholders. 'cause they sell more games & merchandise over a much longer time period.

edit:

Look at the current strike of scenario writers. Studio's are now starting to look into A.I. to do the writing instead ... A.I. does not complain or demand higher pay... so all the complaining might actually work against them.

edit:

I'm nervous that you're bringing it to their attention,we could just quietly enjoy it and act accordingly on an actor by actor basis if they do ask for it to be removed.

It's a hot topic all over the place. Unless the people at Bethesda are living 10 miles under a stone, it already has their full attention, so ... no need to be nervous about it.

Worst case 'you' force them into a (quick) decision, but they are way more likely not to take a stance if they haven't got one yet.

Edited by RoNin1971

Besides, you seem to underestimate the value of modding for Bethesda. They are not doing it to please anyone, but the shareholders. 'cause they sell more games & merchandise over a much longer time period.

Not allowing the training of AIs on their assets to duplicate VA's distinctive voices will not harm modding in any way. It's not that important.

Not allowing the training of AIs on their assets to duplicate VA's distinctive voices will not harm modding in any way. It's not that important.

& how much will the absence of a VA at conventions harm sales? How important is that?

I don't think it would matter much. Unless it is a really big name. Like putting Keanu Reeve's face in your game will likely help to sell it, but there aren't a lot of people who buy games based on the average VA's presence.

You might not think so but it's enough to warrant paying those VAs to appear at conventions and such.

Picture Naughty Dog announcing The Last of Us part 3 but having to say that Ashley Johnson is no longer voicing Ellie. There would be backlash and stories on gaming sites about it. Johnson would probably publically state the reason. Negative press for the game to help modders that the studio doesn't even support?

Now you might point out that Bethesda does support modders, but Microsoft has dozens of game studios it needs to make policy for now.

I just seen this video show casing the power of Inworld to dynamically add character voices to NPCs.

Here is the link to the example video. In it the player is able to walk up to an NPC and have (what appear to be) fully dynamic / non-scripted conversations.

I've not seen this particular application of AI voicing previously, as so far most the AI tools have simply focused on taking the text versions of NPC dialog tree options and adding voice files to them. This is something else entirely as it allows you to have a CUSTOM and organic conversation with the NPC (at least that is what the video example seems to imply).

Honestly it makes me excited for the possible application of other video games such as World of Warcraft. Most of their earlier quests were all text driven (you'd get a pop up window with NPC dialog), but as the game developed more cut scenes and such were used. The big response to why they have not gone back and voiced those earlier text responses has generally been one of a concern regarding the time and money it would take to do so.

With AI applications however, that T&M constraint could become negligible and possibly allow for a massive update to bring WoW up to current voiced standards of games like Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) where every NPC (or at least the ones you interact with significantly) is voiced.

Of course whether or not WoW should do so will be a matter of debate and personal preferrence. Rather I'm thinking of it from the stand point of how these tools can be used and the impact it would have on game development and turn around time.

Edited by lazloarcadia

I'm nervous that you're bringing it to their attention,we could just quietly enjoy it and act accordingly on an actor by actor basis if they do ask for it to be removed.

I'm willing to bet that if this issue is really pushed, companies like Bethesda and Microsoft will most likely take the stance that once they own the rights to any given asset it is theirs to do with as they please. Including allowing the modding community to modify (or expand on it) as they choose. This IS effectively their stand point on it currently which is why we are able to create mods that expand the game world and story arcs today. As such I seeing no reason for them to change that stand point now with some of the VA's getting upset. In fact, if anything I expect they will simply no longer work with VA that make a big fuss about it.

Once the VA have signed the contract, delivered the required files and been paid by the producing company, the company now OWNS that asset (the voice file). As such the VA no longer have claim (creative, legal or otherwise) on how the companies choses to distribute it (unless specifically spelled out in their original contract). For example, if Bethesda wanted to only offer their game on steam, vs Amazon that is a company decision about distribution.

In the same vein if Bethesda later came back and release an Anniversary Edition update for Fallout 4 with a new DLC from previously unreleased content and voice lines. They are not going back to the original content creators (VA or otherwise) and offer them additional compensation.

On the other points that have been raised that mods are created for free, and AI content can't be copy right protected, I 100% agree. Free mods can't truly be said to jeopardize someone's income potential.

i think the AI topic generally is much too new and too complex. it is not just about voice, also about images and all kind of media.

we are not even close to identify all the legal problems which are likely to occur - not talking about law ready to apply. so collecting knowledge and arguments yes - but to put pressure now on any company is not even worth a try.

at first you must be able to explain your legal sources which prove your point of view (?). i can not see this happening soon without legal backup so i'm with showler in this point. my opinion: this will take years and anybody who claims too early he has the right acts probably simply illegal.

technically it is a gem but legally it is a nightmare