"You can't go that way. Turn back"

To get the game to re-generate a new Oblivion.ini you will need to rename your current Oblivion.ini to MyOldOblivion.ini ( so change C:\Users\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini to C:\Users\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\MyOldOblivion.ini) and then start the game all the way to the Main menu. Exit the game and check your newly created C:\Users\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini and see if it now has bBorderRegionsEnabled in the [General] section and set it to bBorderRegionsEnabled=0.

That could be the problem. I recently bought a new pc and for reasons unknown, I still have the saved files from the other pc (even though I didn't move them to the new). I have the Steam version of the game. Something more that bothers me is that every time I launch Oblivion, the game sets my graphics settings (like it's its first time). Last, but not least, I can't load my saves from the previous pc, not can I make any new saves (auto-save, quicksave, etc).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I renamed the .ini file, which has the bBorderRegionsEnabled. But I still face the problem and now I have two files: 1)MyOldOblivion.ini and Oblivion.ini (bBorderRegionsEnabled is not in the Oblivion.ini file).

[sorry for the second answer. How can I delete it?]

The best you can do to delete a duplicated post is to edit it and remove all of the content (but I wouldn't worry about it).

Is your game from Steam where you can easily re-download the vanilla game?

I'm wondering if there is a problem perhaps with your Oblivion_Default.ini that is causing trouble (for example look in Oblivion_Default.ini found in the Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder and see if you have bEnableBorderRegion=1 in the [Main] section ... I'm wondering if that got changed to bEnableBorderRegion=0 at some point in time by mistake).

So, I renamed the .ini file, which has the bBorderRegionsEnabled. But I still face the problem and now I have two files: 1)MyOldOblivion.ini and Oblivion.ini (bBorderRegionsEnabled is not in the Oblivion.ini file).

[sorry for the second answer. How can I delete it?]

The best you can do to delete a duplicated post is to edit it and remove all of the content (but I wouldn't worry about it).

Is your game from Steam where you can easily re-download the vanilla game?

I'm wondering if there is a problem perhaps with your Oblivion_Default.ini that is causing trouble (for example look in Oblivion_Default.ini found in the Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder and see if you have bEnableBorderRegion=1 in the [Main] section ... I'm wondering if that got changed to bEnableBorderRegion=0 at some point in time by mistake).

No, it's set to 1.

Hmm ... running low on new ideas.

You say you've tried adding bBorderRegionsEnabled=0 to the [General] section (mine comes right after bExternalLODDataFiles=1 and right before bDisableHeadTracking=0).

Yes. Did you happen to read what I wrote about the saves and all that as well?

To get the game to re-generate a new Oblivion.ini you will need to rename your current Oblivion.ini to MyOldOblivion.ini ( so change C:\Users\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini to C:\Users\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\MyOldOblivion.ini) and then start the game all the way to the Main menu. Exit the game and check your newly created C:\Users\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini and see if it now has bBorderRegionsEnabled in the [General] section and set it to bBorderRegionsEnabled=0.

That could be the problem. I recently bought a new pc and for reasons unknown, I still have the saved files from the other pc (even though I didn't move them to the new). I have the Steam version of the game. Something more that bothers me is that every time I launch Oblivion, the game sets my graphics settings (like it's its first time). Last, but not least, I can't load my saves from the previous pc, not can I make any new saves (auto-save, quicksave, etc).

Also, yes. The game is from Steam, but what do you mean Vanilla version?

What I meant from that is the 'validate' option from Steam (or whatever it's called ... I'm an old disk version dinosaur) which is supposed to get your game back to original (meaning vanilla game) as far as setup files go.

You could probably use the same rename trick on Oblivion_Default.ini to make sure that Steam gets a new copy when it validates (so rename Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion_Default.ini to MyOldOblivion_Default.ini before starting the Steam validation process).

No I missed this post ... do you have the cloud saves (or whatever Steam calls them) option enabled?

No I missed this post ... do you have the cloud saves (or whatever Steam calls them) option enabled?

I don't know that. How can I find out?