"You can't go that way. Turn back"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bBorderRegionsEnabled=0 <- Looking at this, would the 0 imply border regions were NOT enabled??

So Oblivion.ini has two entries that seem to touch the border region issue, but they are subtly worded differently.

In the [General] section of Oblivion.ini you will find bBorderRegionsEnabled (which is set to bBorderRegionsEnabled=0 from the default bBorderRegionsEnabled=1 to turn off the invisible wall preventing you from leaving the official game area).

Oblivion.ini also has bEnableBorderRegion=1 down in the [Main] section (which is down lower in Oblivion.ini, so below the [General] section). My own Oblivion.ini has it exactly as shown (mean =1 ... so enabled).

In the distant past I recall trying to set either one or both to off (0) and if I recall correctly the only way to disable the invisible wall is to have the setting in [General] set Off (bBorderRegionsEnabled=0) and the setting in [Main] set to On (bEnableBorderRegion=1).

Like all things Bethesda, keeping things confusing made sense to somebody for some reason.

I tried to rename it back to what it was, but now I have two files with the same name.

So that means that when you did the validation Steam downloaded a new Oblivion_Default.ini which means that you did not need to rename back the MyOldOblivion_Default.ini (look back at my instructions ... I said IF and only IF ... maybe should have made that even clearer).

In any case now I would imagine that the one you renamed back is now named something like Oblivion_Default(2).ini or something similar. You can either delete that one or move it to some backup location outside of the Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder.

I now noticed that I have a vdf file in the saves folder called "steam_autocloud.vdf". What should I do with that?

I'm not a Steam user, so I'd only be guessing.

My guess would be that Steam uses that for some part of the whole 'Steam Cloud' thing (but it does lead me to think that a lot of your troubles are because Steam keeps replacing your Oblivion.ini edits with whatever it thinks is best, hence your screen resolution problems etc).

Ok, so I deleted it. The default_oblivion.ini doesn't have any bBorderRegionsEnabled.

As I've found in my own tests Oblivion_Default.ini does not have that setting ... it must be something that the game sets up any time you either reinstall the game completely or go through the hiding Oblivion.ini by renaming or moving it exercise (forcing the game to regenerate a new Oblivion.ini).

Should I relocate both of th e.ini files that I have in My Documents?

The reason I prefer the renaming method when getting the game to rebuild Oblivion.ini in My Documents is so that I can easily find and edit my old settings for stuff like screen resolution etc by looking in MyOldOblivion.ini and then changing the newly made Oblivion.ini to match.

The game will just ignore a file named MyOldOblivion.ini so having it there or moving it to some backup location does the same thing.

- Edit - Make sure you leave the newly created Oblivion.ini in the C:\Users\<your user account name>\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder.