"You can't go that way. Turn back"

@Striker879: As this thread revealed that Dimitrisgb is facing a larger problem, we should move to his "Can't save the game..." thread now. He even can't save game, so I suspect that a whole directory is set to read-only for his Oblivion. I hoped that is some error coming from syncing to Steam cloud, but as it seems not a case, finding a culprit without much info would be difficult (encrypting disk, security policy, some new Win 11 API...).

Yeah I've seen that thread. My problem is that as a Win7 dinosaur I really can't offer any suggestions regarding possible Win 11 issues (heck I'm way way above my pay grade even talking about Steam stuff). I didn't want to clutter up that thread with what would amount to idle speculation.

My guess was that if Dimitrisgb tried the console saveini it would fail, pointing to all of the troubles outlined in this thread being rooted in the overall problem.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Striker879: As this thread revealed that Dimitrisgb is facing a larger problem, we should move to his "Can't save the game..." thread now. He even can't save game, so I suspect that a whole directory is set to read-only for his Oblivion. I hoped that is some error coming from syncing to Steam cloud, but as it seems not a case, finding a culprit without much info would be difficult (encrypting disk, security policy, some new Win 11 API...).

I don't think this is a read-only issue. I made sure that both files (one in My Documents and the other where the game Launcher is are NOT read-only. Another person has said that once I launch the game two more files should have been created in My Documents, but they arent.

It's not Read Only status that HeyYou and Roman were getting at ... it's Write access/permission for certain folders and files that is possibly at the root of the problem.

I know how to resolve those sort of issues in Win 7 but haven't a clue where to start in Win 11. I'm certain that Microsoft has made it more difficult to actually own your computer (my opinion of them is they believe they own your machine and only allow you access to certain parts ... not a big MS fan here).

I set the Oblivion folder in My Documents as NOT read-only, but the folder keeps being set as read-only. What's going on?

My guess would be that it's probably the Windows 11 settings for your user login ... those permissions I was talking about. In Win 7 the regular user account has a higher level of permissions by default but I can't say what Microsoft took away from the user accounts in Win 11.

Yes, but something else has these permissions too, so it's keeping changing the atributes of your folder to Read-Only. The first suspect would be something file related, One Drive (there's a client in Win 11 for it or you can check it on OneDrive.com) or similar service. Is your Document folder marked as shared in some way? I'm assuming that you sync with Steam is still switched off, just for sure to keep avoid intereference from it.

Edited by RomanR

Yes, but something else has these permissions too, so it's keeping changing the atributes of your folder to Read-Only. The first suspect would be something file related, One Drive (there's a client in Win 11 for it or you can check it on OneDrive.com) or similar service. Is your Document folder marked as shared in some way? I'm assuming that you sync with Steam is still switched off, just for sure to keep avoid intereference from it.

I snooped around a bit and I found out that the path to My Documents folder is "C:\Users\jimak\OneDrive\MyDocuments". So something is suspicious.

Tried to find out if the file is on One Drive, but the only thing that I could find is this: