No more GTA for the under 18's in Illinois!

Dark0ne

Governor Rod Blagojevich's controversial bill to prevent the sale of violent video games to people under 18 has now been passed by the House of Representatives. If the bill becomes law, Ilinois will become the first state in the U.S. to make it illegal for retailers to rent or sell M-rated titles to minors. Many have argued, however, that the bill is "too vague" and could be considered unconstitutional.

The "Safe Games Illinois Act" was passed in the state House this week with "overwhelming support" and is now that much closer to becoming law; the legislation need only be passed by the state Senate and then signed by the governor himself.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was already against the law for under 18's to play these games.

I assume you mean to buy. If there's ever a law stating that persons under 18 can't even play M rated games, heads will roll...

*Starts to plot the carpet-bombing of the ESRB*

I thought it was, too.

Either way it's a good thing that someone is finally doing something about it! :P

Aren't you 14 yourself Switch :laugh2:

This is utterly ridiculous, a testament to the Daily Mail-driven world that we occupy today. Shame on the idiots who think that this will lower violent crime.

"Birthday 19 May 1988." So he's 16, almost 17. Only 3 days before mine...

On-topic: I guess the upside is that this will be the test subject. If violent crimes drop in IL, then it'll stand. But since there are few crimes committed which have been attributed to violent games, and few/none of these are true, I doubt crime will drop. In which case all these stuck-up government officials and b*tchy parents will finally be forced to pull their heads out of their a**es and realize that videogames have nothing to do with it.

On a related note, this shirt had me balled-up laughing:

ZeStuff: T-Shirt

Nice! That is great, i have to buy it.

It is ridiculous to blame PC games for RL violence. I know of at least 3 court cases that have been thrown out by US judges against computer games companies for inciting violence - there is no way that computer game violence can be the CAUSE of RL violence. People who will commit violent crimes will not be created by playing video games, although they may mimic it.

And this happens in all media - for example, after the release of A Clockwork Orange (which is a cult classic, by the way) four males raped a woman, singing "Singing In The Rain", as they group in the film do. But were the young men provoked into doing this by watching the film? Were they normal, well-adjusted human beings before watching the film? I think not - even if they had committed no crimes before, they still had to have mental problems to commit that sort of crime.

Games cannot be blamed for creating criminals, only that they might be used as templates BY criminals.

Exactly. "Studies" have shown that violent games cause [slightly] more agression in the test subjects. But what about TV? Movies? These receive no heat at all, and yet they are every bit as violent as video games. They are more realistic as well - they feature real people. And while videogames give the user a play in this violence, the fact that the characters rarely look real serves to deter the increase of likeliness to commit a crime.

It's all ridiculous. It's just the older generations complaining about something they have no understanding about whatsoever.

"Birthday 19 May 1988."  So he's 16, almost 17.  Only 3 days before mine...

That's 6 days after my Birthday... What a hilarious coincidence. :laugh2:

But I'm 15 (almost 16), I lied in my profile I think. *Checks profile* Yeah, I put 23 May 1988, it should be 1989.

*Helps Slaiv plot the carpet-bombing of the ESRB*

May seems to be a popular time for birthdays :P

I still think it's a good thing they're making it against the law. I don't think video games have anything to do with violent crime and such, but at the same time some of the stuff in 18+ games would be very disturbing for younger kids.

Still, I bet this law won't have any effect. It's still the person at the counter's decision whether or not to sell in the end :P