Help with the player.placeatme commmand

So...

I rarely use this command.

When I do it usually works like a charm.

BUT, it takes me a lot of work to paint and upgrade a T45 to a T45f Mimuteman paint (with all the trimmings like kinetic servos, optimized servos, hydaulic bracers, bright light, VATS helmet enhancement, lightweight alloy etc etc).

I mean sure its not thaaat much but if I hav to to it 10-15 times each playthrough ti becomes a real chore.

And I want to have several of those to issue to my minutemen guards.

Several in the castle and one or 2 each in all other settlements, settlement size depending.

( I have the mod that allows u to assign settlers/guards to PA and it works like a charm).

I tried to stand in front of a kit like that.

right clicked it for the item ID and executed player.placeatme XXXXXX 1

BUt system says it does not recognize item ID>

What did I do wrong?

It works fine with a "bone-stock" T-45a, T51a, T60a, even X-01 Mk1, with the cheat console mod, all day long, but not with my loaded T45F minutemen armor, which is not in the cheat console mod.

Any ideas?

I don't think that even with the correct form ID, it will give you the modified PA that you want. The mods are just keywords, and those don't seem to transfer well. The placeatme, as well as additem, stuff will have random mods on it.....

Why the command won't take the form ID of your modified PA though, that's a puzzler. Might be if the ID starts with FF (which implies its from your save game.....) it just doesn't know what to do with it.

Thanks for the input fellas.

-additem I cant do since its a PA which cant be in my inventory.

-I was wondering if the modded ID doesnt have a "wire" to the console commands.

-It forces me to make do with "military T60a" which spawns fine.

Its the T60a with a mil paintjob and no other mods.

You can see the 2 guards at Sanct earlier in the game guarding the vault in them.

If Senior members like you two cant think of a handy workaround there probably isnt one.

So I can spawn them via cheat console all day long and from a protection standpoint a T60a protection is near identical to a T45f.

For some reason though, paintjobs seem to render so much better on T45s (and T51s) for me, than on T60s.

T60s always seem to appear lower resolution than T45 and T51.

Also I just really felt that a T45, even a T45f for that matter, would be more "proper" as a moderatly common issue to minutemen, than any mark of T60.

A suit of Power Armor is basically just a piece of furniture that can even be crafted via the workshop interface with mods, and is equipped with a couple of armor pieces that are functionally very similar to normal armor. The main difference is that you need to attach them to the furniture to use them.

Personally I'd just create a custom set of the armor pieces in xEdit, place them in a container somewhere in Vault 111 or near the starting area, and use them once I acquired an existing PA frame in-game. That takes about 30 minutes to do and test, if you know your way around xEdit and how OMOD and ARMO forms interact. If you want to make it nice and tidy, with a PA frame placed in the game world, it's probably something like 2h and requires the CK as well.

Quick & Dirty:

- find the pieces you like, e.g. the T-51s, copy each of the generic ones into a new plugin

- look at the Object Template, delete all but the one flagged 'default'

- now replace the default OMODs from each include with the one you like, make sure to select the proper one by looking at their mod association keywords

- tweak carry weight and names of the pieces if needed

- place them in a container that only has a single placed reference in the world, e.g. 0x000B97FC which is one of the file cabinets in the V111 overseer office

- save and enable the plugin, start a new game, loot the container, and leave V111 with a custom set or PA armor

- stick them into any of the easy to get PA frames in Concorde, near Covenant or the Satellite Station

For an existing game you can easily find them via console by your custom name, if you did name them.

The problem with the "player.placeatme" command and generic PA armor pieces is that they will typically spawn as random templates that may use mod collections for their OMODs to randomize the loot in-game. That's often used for leveled PA frames and characters wearing leveled PA like raiders in random encounters.

Therefore a small plugin with your personal armor overhaul is pretty much the only way to get exactly the pieces you want instead of randomized ones.

Edited by KikiVelika

A suit of Power Armor is basically just a piece of furniture that can even be crafted via the workshop interface with mods, and is equipped with a couple of armor pieces that are functionally very similar to normal armor. The main difference is that you need to attach them to the furniture to use them.

Personally I'd just create a custom set of the armor pieces in xEdit, place them in a container somewhere in Vault 111 or near the starting area, and use them once I acquired an existing PA frame in-game. That takes about 30 minutes to do and test, if you know your way around xEdit and how OMOD and ARMO forms interact. If you want to make it nice and tidy, with a PA frame placed in the game world, it's probably something like 2h and requires the CK as well.

Quick & Dirty:

- find the pieces you like, e.g. the T-51s, copy each of the generic ones into a new plugin

- look at the Object Template, delete all but the one flagged 'default'

- now replace the default OMODs from each include with the one you like, make sure to select the proper one by looking at their mod association keywords

- tweak carry weight and names of the pieces if needed

- place them in a container that only has a single placed reference in the world, e.g. 0x000B97FC which is one of the file cabinets in the V111 overseer office

- save and enable the plugin, start a new game, loot the container, and leave V111 with a custom set or PA armor

- stick them into any of the easy to get PA frames in Concorde, near Covenant or the Satellite Station

For an existing game you can easily find them via console by your custom name, if you did name them.

The problem with the "player.placeatme" command and generic PA armor pieces is that they will typically spawn as random templates that may use mod collections for their OMODs to randomize the loot in-game. That's often used for leveled PA frames and characters wearing leveled PA like raiders in random encounters.

Therefore a small plugin with your personal armor overhaul is pretty much the only way to get exactly the pieces you want instead of randomized ones.

Thank you for your authoritative answer.

I understood it ( barely) and it makes sense to me.

However using those tools is way above my expertise.

So it looks like I will have to wit untl somone makes a mod for this :)

You could always try something like ECO Redux (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67679).

That one let's you craft almost any vanilla armor and clothing item. It also comes with mobile crafting stations, in case you need to equip a companion or a settler in the middle of nowhere. However, you will still need to modify each piece individually, but it's probably less annoying than using the console.

You could always try something like ECO Redux (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67679).

That one let's you craft almost any vanilla armor and clothing item. It also comes with mobile crafting stations, in case you need to equip a companion or a settler in the middle of nowhere. However, you will still need to modify each piece individually, but it's probably less annoying than using the console.

Modifying each piece individually is what I am trying to get away form. :smile:

Unless that mod allows me ot doit once then "save" the design and just push craft or console command the complete design again and agian later to equip my troops without modifying each components , paintjob, leveleing, misc mod, legendary, coating, etc

That is 5 components per armor, multiple click and scroll actions per componenet miltuplied by the number of armor I am trying to issue to my guards.

I am flirting right at the edge of overuse injury for my hands/wrists so I need to cut down repetitive actions.

That sounds like a case of wanting to learn some basics in xEdit. :cool:

Personally I looked into it and started learning those basics for pretty much the same reason, although in my case it wasn't power armor, but a couple of faction focused clothing mods I used for my settlers.

It started out with a couple of edits, now, years later, my personal overhaul is ~17 GB in size and gives almost all unique non-raider NPCs their own outfit, often incl. tattoo'd body skins and some even get their personal bodyslides. Not to forget faction specific armor and clothing for leveled characters. :ermm: It's all doable, but it takes some time to figure it out and patience to implement it.

Since I don't have the Gunners v MM creation, I sadly can't help you with the skins, otherwise I probably could've created a small template plugin for you that would be quite easy to adjust for your needs of other PA pieces in xEdit.