(QUESTION) Mod Packs and Collections

marckinhos

As a general rule, we do not approve of "mod packs". In the File Submission Guidelines we say this:

Compilations must provide functionality beyond repackaging. In other words, an acceptable compilation must be "more than the sum of its parts".

So, if your "modpack" presents no benefit to the community (other than a single download) we would prefer not to host it here. It's unfair on the original authors (even if they grant permission) to lose the exposure of their page and stat increases (downloads earn them Donation Points!) for a bundle that is nothing other than a combined ZIP. It's also quite low-effort on the pack creator's part in that they haven't really done anything significant to assemble to pack. If we (and the mod authors) did allow this, you could imagine the chaos of having 200 pages containing various combinations of existing mods and that would drown out any original content.

These are some of the reasons why we created our Collections system the way we did. Most of the common questions are covered in the FAQ.

You're welcome to create your "modpack" as a Collection, or even as a text-based list of mods to download (but that should not be posted as a mod page). If you do have the permission for all mods and it's "more than the sum of it's parts" then it may be valid to post as a compilation, but I'd recommend you stick to getting the files from the original source for the benefit of those who put their time into creating the mods in the first place.

Thank you! I'm grateful your your clarification, for this enlightenment. At last an honest, clear, mature answer with no judgments and even with tips related to the matter.

You deserve a 10/10 for your customer service bro, ty.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I'm grateful your your clarification, for this enlightenment. At last an honest, clear, mature answer with no judgments and even with tips related to the matter.

Also, be mindful of which games you make a collection for, some games DO NOT work with a collection because of the way they are modded.

For instance a Collection will NOT work with No Man's Sky, because if you want to use more than a few mods, you're going to have to extract them and merge them, and recompile them, otherwise the only mods that will work are the ones that come last in the load order, and any mod that doesn't change the same file in the last mod in the load order.

Same with Dragon's Dogma, it's the same deal as NMS, only the mod that's last in the load order will work.

SO, don't bother making collections for those games, because you can't just pick a bunch of mods you like and stick them in a collection.

Also, be mindful of which games you make a collection for, some games DO NOT work with a collection because of the way they are modded.

For instance a Collection will NOT work with No Man's Sky, because if you want to use more than a few mods, you're going to have to extract them and merge them, and recompile them, otherwise the only mods that will work are the ones that come last in the load order, and any mod that doesn't change the same file in the last mod in the load order.

Same with Dragon's Dogma, it's the same deal as NMS, only the mod that's last in the load order will work.

SO, don't bother making collections for those games, because you can't just pick a bunch of mods you like and stick them in a collection.

I see, thank you for this tip fellow.

I love those games. The collection in mind isn't for any of those though.

Out of topic, but I can't wait for Dragon's Dogma 2 :D

#peace