Does anyone knows the reasoning for the red you can not do that means.

tomanytomorrows

even in settlements there are objects that should not be scrapped or moved and that are tagged/protected not be scrapped or to be moved. you can destroy previs/precombines also in settlements by just altering or moving the wrong object if you circumvent the previs protection for example. that is what i know and it depends on the mod if it protects these objects or not. some bad mods disable all these protections including any ini setting disabling precombines. they even recommend to disable them with all the known long term consequences for stability and performance of a crippled game...

if the place everywhere mod gets not in in conflict with this and does not alter such static objects and the structure of a precombine everything should be ok - also in settlements.

there exist many settlement mods which cripple performance and visuals if they just alter settlement objects including previs but do not deliver correctly regenerated new previs data just ignoring this problem while advising to turn the previs system and protection off.

Previs and Precombines don't exist in settlement areas in my game.

Previs and precombines are all over the Commonwealth, including settlements. Thankfully, it's not possible to break them in Workshop Mode.

true ...as long as no mod or ini setting gets in conflict with this workshop protection...

my advice: never allow any mod to turn off the previs protection by turning it off with an ini setting. mods advising this are "dirty mods" avoiding to deliver regenerated previs data.

a second point: mods with generated previs may conflict with each other. so be aware of that if they alter the same area! sounds complicated ? it is!

do not cripple your game with too many mods altering the same area!

i did it once in the beginning years ago. but the crippled performance and stability issues playing the game gets annoying in long term. trust me!

unintentionally altering any precombine is not worth the hassle inside a settlement or outside. you can add stuff without risk but if you move, alter or scrap any static object think always twice and check if this static object is not a part of a precombine and your precombine protection still works.

@heyyou - seems this info is news for you regarding settlements as long as you crippled not all precombines in your settlements at once in your game :wink:

:smile: What mod is that, thank you?

Here you go Sir.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424

I have never tested the mod myself so try at own risk.

:smile:

I have been using it for years without issue. I love it. :D

take this mod care for existing and conflicting precombines ? if not it can severely cripple game performance using it in a low fps/busy surrounding.

so just be aware of the built in fo4 performance optimization "previs/precombines". it exists everywhere and you can destroy it.

I think you might be confusing "Place Everywhere" with "Scrap Everything".

no, not at all. i asked a question you did not answer. maybe a misunderstanding ?

any object that conflicts with a new object like a house should be turned red by the mod offering such changes not allowing conflicts or structure anomalies. this sounds reasonable to me but i can not speak for any mod if it works all in all correctly. my intention is to explain the reason behind why areas and objects are protected (or turn red) and can(should) not be overwritten or replaced by other objects. still many mod users do not know that precombines exist and how and where they work as also this topic shows. they are one of the reasons why objects "turn red" and can not be placed (or replaced) for the explained reason.

:smile: What mod is that, thank you?

Here you go Sir.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424

I have never tested the mod myself so try at own risk.

:smile:

I have been using it for years without issue. I love it. :D

take this mod care for existing and conflicting precombines ? if not it can severely cripple game performance using it in a low fps/busy surrounding.

so just be aware of the built in fo4 performance optimization "previs/precombines". it exists everywhere and you can destroy it.

I think you might be confusing "Place Everywhere" with "Scrap Everything".

no, not at all. i asked a question you did not answer. maybe a misunderstanding ?

any object that conflicts with a new object like a house should be turned red by the mod offering such changes not allowing conflicts or structure anomalies. this sounds reasonable to me but i can not speak for any mod if it works all in all correctly. my intention is to explain the reason behind why areas and objects are protected (or turn red) and can(should) not be overwritten or replaced by other objects. still many mod users do not know that precombines exist and how and where they work as also this topic shows. they are one of the reasons why objects "turn red" and can not be placed (or replaced) for the explained reason.

All "Place Everywhere" does is allow items to clip with other items or extend slightly outside settlement borders. It's cosmetic, it has nothing to do with PreVis or PreCombines.

It does have a secondary function that allows you to move previously unmovable objects, but it doesn't allow you to break the PreVis/PreCombine for those objects. They have to move as a unit.

Previs and Precombines don't exist in settlement areas in my game.

Previs and precombines are all over the Commonwealth, including settlements. Thankfully, it's not possible to break them in Workshop Mode.

true ...as long as no mod or ini setting gets in conflict with this workshop protection...

my advice: never allow any mod to turn off the previs protection by turning it off with an ini setting. mods advising this are "dirty mods" avoiding to deliver regenerated previs data.

a second point: mods with generated previs may conflict with each other. so be aware of that if they alter the same area! sounds complicated ? it is!

do not cripple your game with too many mods altering the same area!

i did it once in the beginning years ago. but the crippled performance and stability issues playing the game gets annoying in long term. trust me!

unintentionally altering any precombine is not worth the hassle inside a settlement or outside. you can add stuff without risk but if you move, alter or scrap any static object think always twice and check if this static object is not a part of a precombine and your precombine protection still works.

@heyyou - seems this info is news for you regarding settlements as long as you crippled not all precombines in your settlements at once in your game :wink:

Previs/Precombines are removed in SETTLEMENT areas ONLY, not via the ini edit that nukes them universally. I have zero performance or stability issues, and I can indeed scrap pretty much everything in the build zones. I have hundreds of hours on this particular setup, and the ONLY crash I have had was in Concorde.... after killing all the raiders there, and heading back to sanctuary with Preston and company.... I left the museum BEFORE they did..... so it seems they decided NEVER to leave.... and I would get a crash if I got too far from the Museum.... That was bizarre.

Rats, still have not figured the rug glitch out. Trying to add a floor to the warehouse in Egret Tours Marina but the rug or the pillar glitch does not work. I have all so tried to replace a wall section, no joy. From what I understand you do not have to use "E", select all, is that correct? Second I used three rugs, first closest to me, next one on top of the first and the last rug on top of the second then the wall section on top of the third rug. The problem is the rugs are selected when I choose select the first but the wall does not get selected. Are rugs to thin or what? I use a PC.

The hesitation I have with Scrap Everywhere? A lot of the settlements are fairly close to another settlement - with non-settlement space in between.

Ex. Sanctuary, Red Rocket, Abernathy Farm.

Ex. Covenant, Taffington Boathouse.

Ex. Outpost Zimonja, Tenpines Bluff

Ex. Finch Farm, County Crossing, Bunker Hill

Ex. Greentop Nursery, The Slog

A little too close for comfort for someone without an EXPERT understanding of the areas these Precombines actually cover.

Edited by fraquar