ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Uninstalling unused extensions failed

evy24

as they are deleted, vortex can't manage the game - is that a vortex problem? how do you fix it?

would you need to reinstall vortex?

Simple, by installing the extension for the game I do have.

Like I did with the Dragon Age Inquisition Vortex Extension. For example.

It wasn't that difficult to do.

I don't have Fall Out, for example, so I don't need that extension. So I did not installed it.

Easy.

I just like keeping things clear and ordened.

• Like 1

Guest deleted34304850

you're comparing extensions created by the community to built in extensions.

i believe there's a slight difference between built-in and community supported extensions, such as if you delete a built-in extension i think the only way to re-install it is to the whole thing. open to be corrected on that, but thats my understanding.

i get your stance, i really do - but there are some things about vortex and extensions that - to my mind don't make sense. so i get what you're trying to do here and your stance and logic is, to me, quite sound.

to me, this is one area of vortex that could be massively improved - why have extensions sitting there doing nothing if you don't have the games? why, once they are deleted are they pulled back in? also when they are updated, why do they persist in your downloads area, forever unless you physically delete them?

it would be nice if there was a setting available where extensions could be removed and remain removed until such time as the user decides they want to re-install them, but that isn't the way they went and, given that there's zero developer engagement here since tannin left, i doubt they'll even see this, or care about it.

but, i feel your frustration, its just that the answer is somewhat underwhelming and makes no sense. not bloatware though, just a weird design choice.

you're comparing extensions created by the community to built in extensions.

i believe there's a slight difference between built-in and community supported extensions, such as if you delete a built-in extension i think the only way to re-install it is to the whole thing. open to be corrected on that, but thats my understanding.

i get your stance, i really do - but there are some things about vortex and extensions that - to my mind don't make sense. so i get what you're trying to do here and your stance and logic is, to me, quite sound.

to me, this is one area of vortex that could be massively improved - why have extensions sitting there doing nothing if you don't have the games? why, once they are deleted are they pulled back in? also when they are updated, why do they persist in your downloads area, forever unless you physically delete them?

it would be nice if there was a setting available where extensions could be removed and remain removed until such time as the user decides they want to re-install them, but that isn't the way they went and, given that there's zero developer engagement here since tannin left, i doubt they'll even see this, or care about it.

but, i feel your frustration, its just that the answer is somewhat underwhelming and makes no sense. not bloatware though, just a weird design choice.

Thank you, thank you, 1ae0bfb8

Your English is better then mine and you can exactly explain the frustration.

Thank you. At least there is another person who dislikes this weird design choice, as you call it.

Okay, things are clear,

Time to play a game now and stop bothering about this. :-)

:-)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 10:22 AM, evy24 said:

Thank you. At least there is another person who dislikes this weird design choice, as you call it.

It's more than "weird". Computer software should be designed in such a way that it "makes sense". This does not make sense.

• 1 month later...

Ok I am a former Software developer/Analyst/Computer Tech in other words an all-around computer geek. These extensions for games we do not own but are considered necessary for the proper operation of the primary game extension. They do not make sense. what would make sense is extract the code and either add it to the original extension or make a patch extension named appropriately. Any software installed that I do not have control of or understand logically why it is there is considered a target of an exploit for outside entities. I am playing Elder scrolls V: Skyrim but Vortex has insisted on downloading extensions for "Star Dew Valley" and "Team Fortress 2" neither of which I have ever owned nor ever will. Were the developers or community too lazy or too space restricted to simply transfer the code to an appropriate titled extension so as not to confuse those users who prefer a clean/logical install?

I understand the extension developer of the Skyrim extension should first get permission from the developer/s of the other two extensions to use their code snippets. The game has been out for over 10 years and yes mods are being developed even to today. I am not a modder and would rather not become one.  I have not looked at the actual Skyrim extension file but by the way Vortex is behaving the developer has declared the other two extensions as essential. which forces Vortex to not allow them to be permanently removed, but does not prevent them from being temporally removed.

From what I have gathered from this discussion some users believe these errant extensions are essential to Vortex. What it appears is they are essential to the primary game extension not directly to Vortex. If I am  totally in left field, would someone please correct me.

Otherwise this explains why not everyone has the same errant extensions being downloaded and are not allowed to permanently remove them.