Next-Gen Violence

Slaiv

I know there has been a discussion about ratings, but this is a separate topic. I include ratings in my response, but keep in mind that that is no the main focus of this thread. [And this is dealing with the next generation.]

First off, I suggest you read this thread:

Next-Generation Graphics Thread

Games are becoming more and more realistic with time; in the next generation [XBox 360, Revolution, etc...] they will be photorealistic. With this in mind, I pose a question:

Should limitations be placed on these games? Should the ratings system be more strictly enforced? What are your opinions on the topic?

Personally, I feel that the ratings system needs to be strictly enforced. Nowadays, it is rare for age to be checked upon purchase; if it is, it is extremely simple to get around this. I understand that it's rather simple to differentiate between reality and videogames, but it may not be so in the next generation. Let me explain - I'm not saying that we won't be able to tell that we're playing a videogame [the controller alone kind of gives that away], but for children, especially the younger ones. These days, I'm kind of disturbed when I hear 6- and 7-year-olds talking about how they've killed people, had sex with hookers, etc... These kids grow up with all of this, thinking nothing of it.

With the next generation of graphics being photorealistic, this poses a few problems. These NPCs that are meaningless are given personalities and realistic character models, yet the mindless slaughter will stay the same. It will be just like murdering someone in reality, without the repercussions and actual loss of life. Now think about a 6-year old playing this. Kind of scary, no?

Perhaps I haven't been clear - my apologies, as I am having trouble putting my thoughts into words.

I'll just give you this:

Is there a problem with this? If so, what is the solution? Give your thoughts and comments.

I've always been a fan of enforcing the rather pathetic current restrictions on games, and I think there's good reason to as well. No respect-worthy parent would let their child play a near photo-realistic version of Leisure-Suit Larry or Manhunt.

no,but really!

Things are getting a bit to realistic guys, kids can get there hands on anything these days no matter if there parents want so. Because those "not so respect-worthy parents" will let them.....and little johny has a friend that has this realistic killing game, so he goes over and plays that all day at his friends. See? he doesnt have to own it to play it alot...or get any thoughts that all this can be done in real life.

I'm not 100% sure that, if photo-realistic graphics were ever possible, that anyone would use them in the gaming industry. If you think about it it would seriously limit the possibilities for gaming. Any monsters that you created would be extremely realistic looking and frightening for some gamers, thus lowering the market. Any violence would make a lot of people feel sick if you made it photo-realistic, putting people off those types of games as well.

I reckon eventually the gaming industry will reach some maximum level of realism that is set as standard that isn't quite 100% realistic so as not to scare off any potential buyers. The photo-realistic stuff will be saved for things like flight simulators, maybe even interactive virtual tours of cities etc.

That's just my theory on it. :P

I'm not 100% sure that, if photo-realistic graphics were ever possible, that anyone would use them in the gaming industry. If you think about it it would seriously limit the possibilities for gaming. Any monsters that you created would be extremely realistic looking and frightening for some gamers, thus lowering the market. Any violence would make a lot of people feel sick if you made it photo-realistic, putting people off those types of games as well.

I reckon eventually the gaming industry will reach some maximum level of realism that is set as standard that isn't quite 100% realistic so as not to scare off any potential buyers. The photo-realistic stuff will be saved for things like flight simulators, maybe even interactive virtual tours of cities etc.

That's just my theory on it. :P

I agree, for the most part. But thging about shooting games. Some games (like GTA) are over-violent when they depict people getting shot.

For example, a shot to the head in GTA will decapitate a person, whereas in reality it would take a hell of a big bullet (or a shotgun) to do this. Also, in some games, shooting people will cause blood to splatter everywhere. In real life, this doesn't happen. If somebody is shot, they will bleed little externally (there will still be some internal bleeding) and certainly won't explode into tiny pieces or have their blood spray 5 metres in all directions.

Archived