⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Vortex is one of the most obtuse pieces of software I've ever used

Atardecer

So granted, I'm a long time Mod Organiser user, and before that NMM. I leanrt using mod managers on NMM and Wrye Bash. I really, really wanted to gel with Vortex. I wanted to try out a couple of mod collections. But damn, user friendly it is not. Installing mod collections seemed simple enough to begin with, but troubleshooting issues and doing manual conflict resolutions is a horrible experience in Vortex. I'm used to assessing conflicts manually in MO2 and seeing what's what in xEdit. In Vortex I have no idea what I'm looking at. The final straw was the conflict resolution, and not letting me go forth without sorting it. And that window with the arrows pointing everywhere for files conflicting with other files and me not understanding what the hell was going on. File conflicts are expected in load orders and in MO2 its very simple to move things around to plan exactly what conflicts you want to happen and where. I felt that in Vortex it's seen as a problem and something that must be fixed to proceed.

Perhaps I am simply incredibly stupid, but I've tried it one 3 separate occasions and just uninstall each time. Each for mod collections, which themselves can be problematic as it's not always the case the modlist curator has resolved issues with the list themselves. I am fairly knowledgeable in music and audio DAWs and software, and the one thing that great design gets right in that area is presenting complex design in a simple, easy to use format. Ableton Live would be an example of this; if you've never used any of those programs before or ever undertaken any audio production ever, you could probably figure out the working basics within an hour just by trial and error. That was my experience with MO2 - everything feels pretty logical. Good design feels intuitive. With Vortex, I feel like I need to submit my theses before commencing downloading. There was literally nothing intuitive about it. I'm only writing this as I hope to see some changes in the program in the future to make it more user-friendly. But for now I must admit defeat, for the 3rd time.

Thanks for putting up with my rant.

The only type of conflict that prevents you from going forward is a cyclic load order issue. Any other conflict is simply choosing which mod/asset goes first, same as with Mod Organizer.

And I'd imagine if you turn off the LOOT sorting you can probably get past the cyclic issue as well, though you'd be abandoning several things that make Vortex good.

As for Collections, make sure you are using a new profile for installing the Collection. And (in one thing that Vortex REALLY needs to make more clear) you can clear any existing custom rules that might cause those cyclic load order problems. If so, the conflict resolution should already be done.

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU for articulating what I've experienced every time I try Vortex. I'm also a longtime MO2 user, and I can say without hesitation that there's nothing at all in Vortex that is better or easier to understand. Conflict resolution is not at all intuitive, the UI is extremely messy and convoluted, and the insane cyclical rules window with all its arrows is just a rat's nest. Every time I resolve all my file conflicts, it creates tons of cyclical rules, and when I clear all those out, now I have tons of file conflicts. In MO2, as you say, it's extremely easy to see down to the file exactly where something is coming from and what overwrites exist, and you can manage everything easily and consistently. Sometimes when I start up Vortex, it has discovered a whole bunch of cyclical rules that didn't exist before (and I've not changed anything) and it won't let me do anything until they are resolved. So, I've just spent 30 minutes trying to sort it all out before I can resume play on a save that is now likely borked. I'm only even messing with Vortex because I decided to try a Collection for FNV; this was a bad mistake, and I wish that I had just made the time to build my own mod list for it in MO2 like I've done for every other Bethesda game.

BTW, I'm also a DAW user--maybe we are used to dealing with complex configurations, where Vortex very much seems like it is intended for non-modders who want their hand held for the entire process. I'd much rather it just let me do what I know I want to do and that will work!

Guest deleted34304850

sounds like you simply didn't bother to understand how to use the program correctly and are blaming your own shortcomings on it.

hopefully you get more luck with MO2 and one day you actually learn how to mod correctly.

sounds like you simply didn't bother to understand how to use the program correctly and are blaming your own shortcomings on it.

hopefully you get more luck with MO2 and one day you actually learn how to mod correctly.

ho and what out of date resources would I be able to find to teach me how to use it?

please do tell me ho supporter how would I go about learning how to use this night mare of a UX design?

Guest deleted34304850

you want me to teach you how to do basic things?

okay. i will give you a remote pc session on installing it, setting it up, managing games and installing mods.

$500. if you're serious i'll send you how to pay me for my time. let me know.

you want me to teach you how to do basic things?

okay. i will give you a remote pc session on installing it, setting it up, managing games and installing mods.

$500. if you're serious i'll send you how to pay me for my time. let me know.

lol this is the sheep dog reaction that makes it hard to get help with this stuff and a large part of why vortex sucks just like it's fan base but there is NO community support just fan boiz

also LOL going full stan for a program might want to touch some grass there bud