New Forum Feedback

Pickysaurus

Can anyone explain what the "Hide" slider at the bottom of the posting block actually does, or how to work with it?  I haven't seen any information about it.  Apologies if it's been discussed, and I've missed it.

I just placed a post elsewhere and tried using it, thinking it might provide the anonymous browsing capability we used to have (that I inquired about in this thread back on 11/21, but never received a response).  The post didn't show up - I can't find it in my history, in my profile, nowhere.  I was hoping that if "Hide" simply meant it would not be displayed in the thread, maybe if I could find it in my history I could edit it to un-Hide it, but I haven't been able to find any trace of it.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

On 1/28/2024 at 10:32 AM, Pasquale1223 said:

Can anyone explain what the "Hide" slider at the bottom of the posting block actually does, or how to work with it?  I haven't seen any information about it.  Apologies if it's been discussed, and I've missed it.

I just placed a post elsewhere and tried using it, thinking it might provide the anonymous browsing capability we used to have (that I inquired about in this thread back on 11/21, but never received a response).  The post didn't show up - I can't find it in my history, in my profile, nowhere.  I was hoping that if "Hide" simply meant it would not be displayed in the thread, maybe if I could find it in my history I could edit it to un-Hide it, but I haven't been able to find any trace of it.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

So you can hide your own posts, instead of asking a moderator to do it for you? Or to delay showing it.

I see on the DAO forums you posted 2 of the same posts and hid both, but I have semi moderator rights on the forum, so I can see them, and you can see them I am guessing because they are yours.

Edited by HollownessDevoured

14 hours ago, HollownessDevoured said:

So you can hide your own posts, instead of asking a moderator to do it for you? Or to delay showing it.

I see on the DAO forums you posted 2 of the same posts and hid both, but I have semi moderator rights on the forum, so I can see them, and you can see them I am guessing because they are yours.

I can't see them, actually.  Not in the thread, not when I look at my activity from my profile.  They are completely lost to me.  I didn't think it posted the first time, thus the duplicate.  It's weird that you can see them but I cannot.  It sounds like a bug to me.

Thanks for responding.

6 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

Correct, you're able to hide your posts/topics. This is a small change compared to how permissions were set in the old forums - it just makes it easier for everyone really. 

Not so much easier if it means the post is completely lost to the originator.

And I guess I never really quite understood the value of hiding posts, anyway.  I mean, if you don't want something to show up, wouldn't it be easier to just delete it?

Any word on anonymous browsing?  Is it still available - or no?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Pasquale1223 said:

I can't see them, actually.  Not in the thread, not when I look at my activity from my profile.  They are completely lost to me.  I didn't think it posted the first time, thus the duplicate.  It's weird that you can see them but I cannot.  It sounds like a bug to me.

Thanks for responding.

Then I'll merge and unhide them for you. Not sure why have the ability to hide your own post upon posting, if you can't unhide when you are ready to show it. But it make sense to hide it if you just want to delete it/hide it.

I have semi-moderator rights, that is why I can see them. It's a long story.

1 hour ago, HollownessDevoured said:

Then I'll merge and unhide them for you. Not sure why have the ability to hide your own post upon posting, if you can't unhide when you are ready to show it. But it make sense to hide it if you just want to delete it/hide it.

I have semi-moderator rights, that is why I can see them. It's a long story.

I appreciate your assistance.

As I mentioned before, it was never my intention to hide the post in the first place.  Frankly, it never occurred to me that anyone would create a post only to hide it - what's the point in doing that?  Why would such a feature exist?

I still find it troubling that using that slider switch caused me to lose access to the post.  I think it's a bug and would like site admin to take a look at that.

Long story?  I like long stories - care to share?

3 minutes ago, Pasquale1223 said:

I appreciate your assistance.

As I mentioned before, it was never my intention to hide the post in the first place.  Frankly, it never occurred to me that anyone would create a post only to hide it - what's the point in doing that?  Why would such a feature exist?

I still find it troubling that using that slider switch caused me to lose access to the post.  I think it's a bug and would like site admin to take a look at that.

Long story?  I like long stories - care to share?

Agreed, seems weird as a set up.

I'll PM.

• Like 1

You can consider "Hide" to be "Delete" as far as the feature goes for general users. Moderators can still see the content though. This is intended as trolls might post something toxic and try and hide the post before a moderator can see it. 

5 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

You can consider "Hide" to be "Delete" as far as the feature goes for general users. Moderators can still see the content though. This is intended as trolls might post something toxic and try and hide the post before a moderator can see it. 

If you say so - still seems mighty strange to me that anyone would click "Submit Reply" on something they don't intend anyone but mods to ever see, something they immediately lose access to.  That the option is available when creating a post is odd (to say the least).

Any word on anonymous browsing?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale1223 said:

If you say so - still seems mighty strange to me that anyone would click "Submit Reply" on something they don't intend anyone but mods to ever see, something they immediately lose access to.  That the option is available when creating a post is odd (to say the least).

Any word on anonymous browsing?

Thanks.

Ah, didn't realise it was available while drafting a topic. I guess that might need to be tweaked.