No Vortex uninstall key

Phrayzur
Go to solution Solved by Phrayzur,

I've been getting the warning "No Vortex uninstall key" for a few months now. I thought maybe they'd issue an update that would fix it but not so far. I'm using Vortex 1.9.12. I've completely uninstalled Vortex and reinstalled it. I've deleted just the Vortex directory. Nothing seems to help. It's been so long since this started that I can't remember what games were being modded at the time. Probably No Man's Sky, Beat Saber and Cyberpunk 2077. But as I said, I have no idea.

I've tried everything I can find online but no lucl. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

No Vortex uninstall key error.jpg

You should be able to fix this by simply reinstalling Vortex over the top of the version you have.

You've most likely (somehow) lost the registry entry. This means Vortex would not be able to uninstall or update itself properly. 

If Vortex isn't creating the registry key when you run the installer then something on your PC is breaking the install process.

It's also possible something on your PC is blocking Vortex from reading the registry to check if the key is there. 

If you know how to use RegEdit you can look under "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\57979c68-f490-55b8-8fed-8b017a5af2fe" to see if the Vortex install path is set properly. 

• Solution

The registry entry was correct. 

Here's what fixed it:

1. Uninstalled Vortex.

2. Removed every entry from the registry for: "57979c68-f490-55b8-8fed-8b017a5af2fe", "Black Tree Gaming Ltd" and "vortex".

3. I selectively removed references in the registry to: "com.nexusmods.vortex" and "Vortex-1-1-9-*.exe".

4. Restarted the computer.

5. Re-installed Vortex.

6. Still gave the same error.

7. Added exceptions to Bitdefender and Windows Defender for "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd".

8. Still gave the same error.

9. Ran "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\Vortex.exe" with Admin rights. 

10. That finally worked. (At least so far.)

If anyone else is reading this, maybe try running Vortex as Admin first and save yourself some time 🤦‍♂️🤣

I appreciate your help. What a pain in the ass! Lol!

If you're forced to run Vortex as admin that likely means that some kind of basic permissions in your Windows install are messed up (quite commonly by third-party AV apps). Running Vortex or any game/modding tool as admin opens your PC up to significant security issues.