User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

3 minutes ago, AaronOfMpls said:

Ahh.  I've been taking these just now.  And I'll probably swap back to the old design (for now) after.

I use chrome and when I want to check on the beta I open firefox, but I only check sporadically.

And last I looked, I only looked at the placeholder images and didn't bother to look at anything else at this time (atm, I am modding, playing an app game in the background, streaming, checking forums and messages LOL).

The lack of discrete panels and sections in the profile makes it difficult to make sense of what I'm seeing. It looks simply like a blank canvas with a bunch of words. There's no design to it, and it lacks both aesthetics and a sense of partitioned information.

It's one of the most unpleasant web pages I've seen since the mid 1990s. It's even worse than pre-commercial internet BBS sites.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karna5 said:

The lack of discrete panels and sections in the profile makes it difficult to make sense of what I'm seeing. It looks simply like a blank canvas with a bunch of words. There's no design to it, and it lacks both aesthetics and a sense of partitioned information.

It's one of the most unpleasant web pages I've seen since the mid 1990s. It's even worse than pre-commercial internet BBS sites.

Not gonna lie, it totally reminds me of a blog site from the early 2000s, and even then we could choose our colour scheme in that site.

Edited by HollownessDevoured
  • Like 2

Updated:

20/03/2024:

• The game filtering dropdown for Mods, Collections and Media has been implemented. The game order in the dropdown is in descending order of number of mods/media per game. 
  • Fixed a bug with the 'Media' section that's causing videos not to display.

13/03/2024:

The page has been redesigned to show more content, especially on the Mods, Collections and Media tabs. All profile details and "user actions" (track, message, etc) are now at the top of the page. 

Below is some of the feedback we have received and our responses to those concerns. We hope the new user profile design improves these things for you.

• Avatar size being stretched from 100x100 to 180x180, due to this they're super blurry.
    • We've reduced the size to 100x100 for now.
  • Specific dates are preferred on mod tiles (e.g. 29/01/2024)
    • We've changed the 'Uploaded' date to be more specific. The 'Last Updated' date still displays as "2 Days Ago" as we think that's easier to read.
  • Some mod tiles have lots of empty space between the Mod name and the details. Category, author name, etc is bound to the bottom of the mod card instead of the top, which is how it was done before and is done on most sites. 
    • Mod tile content is now bound to the top of the tile, reducing empty space.
  • Usernames on mod tiles are upper case, but they should be case sensitive.
    • We've fixed this.
  • Mods are too big now and instead of showing 5 mod tiles per line we're down to 3 tiles per line.
    • Mod tiles are now smaller and we're showing 4 per row. 
  • The authors column takes up too much space (which could be used to display more mods, collections or media) and shouldn't scroll down with content.
    • The authors column has been removed and any content it contained is now in the header/top part of the page.
  • Longer usernames are being pushed onto two lines.
    • This is no longer a problem with the updated design.
  • Page "doesn't scale well" to various "extreme" ends of display resolution. Either too much content is removed for scaling or too much "negative space" left on high res displays.
    • The new page design addresses this and more content is now show on larger displays.

Additional changes:

• The page will no longer automatically scroll when changing tabs

11/03/2024:

• Mod Tile summaries will no longer incorrectly display HTML from mod page descriptions. 
  • '"Last Active" and "Activity" sections will now respect your user settings. These settings can be found here
  • All staff and moderator roles should now display on User Profiles, ensuring there is no confusion as to who is Nexus Mods staff and who is not. 
  • Collections success ratings are no longer cut-off.

07/03/2024:

Upcoming Changes:

We have committed to making changes to account for many pieces of feedback that have been put forward in this thread. Here is a taster of what is still to come:

• UI changes to display more content on the content tabs. We will be reducing the size of the avatar, sidebar and banner as part of this change. 
  • Last remaining bits of HTML in "Mod Tile" sections will be automatically removed. 
  • Mod Tile status indicators (Downloaded, Update Available, etc) will be returning
  • Many of the removed sorting options will be returning. In addition to this, the default sort for Mods and Media will be reverted to "Recently Added", however this will respect any changed user preferences you have made. 
  • Fixing a bug with the 'Media' section that's causing videos not to display.
  • The revamped Activity Feed will be returning. It will/will not be shown based on your existing preferences. 
  • As we have said before, the game dropdown filter will be returning. 
  • The report button will be returning, with the ability to report Profiles for rule breaking avatars or "About Me" sections.

Any previously "Upcoming" changes that have been deployed to the beta will be marked as changed.

• Like 4

Today's version of the changes seem nice. I like them. It also looks like you added a total number of mod downloads in our profile page, something I've tried to find out of curiosity many times but always gave up because it required a calculator and tallying a ton of mods. Yesterday's Beta seemed unpartitioned and so plain it was confusing. Today feels both modern and easy to read. Well done.

Post Script: oh, wow. And you added the ability to see all a user's general audience images, supporter images and videos all together, sorted by most recent. This is going to be sooooo helpful when trying to find what people we followed have recently added. Thank you for this! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Just wondering why you chose to diverge and have endorsements and views on the opposite side as current images/media and opposite to mods. Lack of uniformity looks a bit sloppy on a site and just looks like you are trying to squeeze it on there.

I quite like it but sorting by Most downloaded by default is really not a good idea as it buries any potential releases from mod authors and possibly boost patches more than standalone mods 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HollownessDevoured said:

Just wondering why you chose to diverge and have endorsements and views on the opposite side as current images/media and opposite to mods. Lack of uniformity looks a bit sloppy on a site and just looks like you are trying to squeeze it on there.

We're taking a look at the media tile layout and will move the endorsements/views so they don't cut-off usernames or image titles.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Diakyuto said:

I quite like it but sorting by Most downloaded by default is really not a good idea as it buries any potential releases from mod authors and possibly boost patches more than standalone mods 

We're changing it to sort by 'Date Uploaded' by default, unless the person viewing the page already has a preferred sort option set in their site preferences (in which case we will respect their choice).

• Like 2