Rating system overhaul

Dark0ne

Personally i dont care for the 3 hour waiting period. By the time 3 hours is up im already way off topic in my kind to remember to go back and rate the file. 1 hour seams more appropriete because it gives us time to check it out, it gives us enough time to finish whatever we are doing on nexus and play the file, but its not too long so we dont forget that we wanted to rate on a file. Even 1:30 would be better, but i say 1 hour is absalutely perfect, and 3 hours just is too long. IMO it would be MUCH harder for a VERY excellent mod that 100% deserves top 100's to actually get there just because of all the people that forgot to rate it. Now it can be said that "if you forget then maybe its not worth rating", but thats not completely true when talking about 3 HOURS! In todays world its "I want it now, i gatta have it now, i need it now", and we have all adjusted to this fast pace that modern day society has evolved to. Most people would rather go to a fast food resturant than a fine diner even if they can afford it simply because of this mindset. So, if they cant have it now, they wont wait for what is there and either move on or find something else. This can be said and applied greatly to the rating system, especially because its over the internet where "i gatta have it now" means almost literally that you CAN get it now, and anything else is simply unacceptable to most individuals. Look around, mods that deserve a lot of endorsements arent getting them simply because of the wait time people forget. Some people might be browsing and remember when they come across it, but not everyone.

This is simply my opinion, i strongly believe the time should be reduced. Even if now to only 1 hour, which would be ideal because it would serve the purpose intended for waiting but keep people remembering long enough to actually rate, it should still be reduced by at least something.

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i dont care for the 3 hour waiting period. By the time 3 hours is up im already way off topic in my kind to remember to go back and rate the file. 1 hour seams more appropriete because it gives us time to check it out, it gives us enough time to finish whatever we are doing on nexus and play the file, but its not too long so we dont forget that we wanted to rate on a file. Even 1:30 would be better, but i say 1 hour is absalutely perfect, and 3 hours just is too long. IMO it would be MUCH harder for a VERY excellent mod that 100% deserves top 100's to actually get there just because of all the people that forgot to rate it. Now it can be said that "if you forget then maybe its not worth rating", but thats not completely true when talking about 3 HOURS! In todays world its "I want it now, i gatta have it now, i need it now", and we have all adjusted to this fast pace that modern day society has evolved to. Most people would rather go to a fast food resturant than a fine diner even if they can afford it simply because of this mindset. So, if they cant have it now, they wont wait for what is there and either move on or find something else. This can be said and applied greatly to the rating system, especially because its over the internet where "i gatta have it now" means almost literally that you CAN get it now, and anything else is simply unacceptable to most individuals. Look around, mods that deserve a lot of endorsements arent getting them simply because of the wait time people forget. Some people might be browsing and remember when they come across it, but not everyone.

This is simply my opinion, i strongly believe the time should be reduced. Even if now to only 1 hour, which would be ideal because it would serve the purpose intended for waiting but keep people remembering long enough to actually rate, it should still be reduced by at least something.

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

I am sorry but I think you are dead wrong. Adults can wait kids of all age cannot.

I think your comparison of fast food to a fine dinner is right on target for such people quantity and speed matters more than quality and now let me ask, what is the value of such a rating? I would never seek advice on a restaurant from such a person.

If people just download, install and check if their game starts without a crash (even that is hardly done in 1 hour) and then rate, I gladly do without their recommendation.

Such a rating system is more of a hindrance than a help because it is completely misleading.

If this becomes common practise on this site, it would be better to abandon the rating system altogether.

Definition of "Rating" (Encarta Dictionary, North America):

An assessment or classification of somebody or something on a scale according to how much or how little of a quality he, she, or it possesses.

I think we need to be able to leave better comments when deciding not to endorse a mod. I can't give constructive criticism now, only vague generalities and that is not going to help modders to improve their work. This so far is the biggest flaw of the new system and it is a serious one that really needs some sort of remedy.

Not to be an a-hole as I respect your efforts to make this community a better place, but I'm liking the new system less and less every day. Each time I need it to do something, I'm reminded of how the old system worked better IMO.

Edited by theLeeHarvey

I think we all agree, that the numerical rating system did say more about the mindset of the person rating and the effort the creator put into promoting his MOD than about the quality of a MOD.

I think that the non endorsement should be removed! (under the condition that the prerequisite for rating is downloading and playing).

I like it - I endorse it

I read the description and don't like what I read - I look elsewhere

I try it and it does not give me what I want or what the description promised - I do nothing

A system that tells me xxxx downloads versus xxxx endorsements tells me all I need to know about a MOD, again under the download and Play restriction.

the problem with this is not everyone that downloads will endorse or not endorse the mod. look at my mod for example. i have 668 downloads, but only 9 endorsements, and that was done while in the 1-10 rating system. if anything, that says that 659 people just didnt bother with rating it at all. does that mean the mod is terrible? not necessarily. some people are just lazy and won't bother rating/endorsing. there are several excellent mods out there with very little endorsements at all, but with your idea of a system, they'd be missed.

also, what if there is a feature on a mod that you try and you don't like it and it's something the author can fix? if you do nothing like you suggest, he/she won't know to fix it.

24 hr cooldown period on new accounts is a very good idea. Especially for those special people that set up raids on certain files with other people. 3 hr wait time to rate seems a bit harsh though for long standing members before rating. Most small mods I can install and get running in less than 5 minutes. Its only the huge mods like MMM, FOOK, GTS, AK, etc etc, that need a big play around before rating. Also thumbs up and thumbs down has always seemed a too simplistic way to rate something but the again, Siskel and Ebert built their career on it so what do I know :P Edited by Bonafide

i am having a hard time understanding the oddly negative reaction to the new system.

at first i supposed that perhaps this was limited to modders who found their mods suddenly less popular then they had been led to imagine.

but now other factors have entered the scene, such as concerns over peoples ability to offer constructive criticism and the length rating-waiting-time, for example.

constructive criticism is intrinsically positive and has no place in negative feedback such as the new non-endorsement option.

creative people are notoriously sensitive and as such they require motivation through positive feedback.

this site relies on creative people for it's content, so limiting the implementation and useage of negative feedback is of prime importance.

if anyone wants to add constructive criticism they may always (if the author allows it) leave a comment, they needn't endorse (or not) until satisified.

i would personally like to see the "thumbsdown" button vanish completely.

if i don't like the look of a mod, for whatever reason, i don't download or comment on it.

i just move on.

i will only comment if something about the mod appeals to me and only rate(endorse) if that appeal is more than limited.

the concerns over the length of rating-waiting-time are oddest.

unless someone styles themselves as a "super mod tester" with a goal to "test every single mod ever made!" i can't really see the 3 hours to be that mind-numbingly interminable.

however, i can see how this 3 hours (and the 24hr cooldown for new members) would highly annoy anyone (and their cohorts) using multiple accounts to fiddle ratings(endorsements).

now that the Downloading/rating History button exists, telling you exactly which mods you have and haven't endorsed, the "people will forget to rate" routine fails to wash.

Edited by Verbal Earthworm

I sort of agree with below, but also you can expect the ratings of files all together to drop, a 3 hour wait, well by the time i test out the mod i would have forgotten what i was going to say, and seeing as there are so many mods downloaded by some users per day, you cant expect them to go and rate every single file they downloaded using the download history three hours later, i personally wouldnt, i dont see what was wrong with the old rating system. Edit: Ive already started seeing people commenting their rating instead of officially giving it endorsement... and so it starts. Edited by haza321

I think we all agree, that the numerical rating system did say more about the mindset of the person rating and the effort the creator put into promoting his MOD than about the quality of a MOD.

I think that the non endorsement should be removed! (under the condition that the prerequisite for rating is downloading and playing).

I like it - I endorse it

I read the description and don't like what I read - I look elsewhere

I try it and it does not give me what I want or what the description promised - I do nothing

A system that tells me xxxx downloads versus xxxx endorsements tells me all I need to know about a MOD, again under the download and Play restriction.

the problem with this is not everyone that downloads will endorse or not endorse the mod. look at my mod for example. i have 668 downloads, but only 9 endorsements, and that was done while in the 1-10 rating system. if anything, that says that 659 people just didnt bother with rating it at all. does that mean the mod is terrible? not necessarily. some people are just lazy and won't bother rating/endorsing. there are several excellent mods out there with very little endorsements at all, but with your idea of a system, they'd be missed.

also, what if there is a feature on a mod that you try and you don't like it and it's something the author can fix? if you do nothing like you suggest, he/she won't know to fix it.

You are right that a low number of endorsements does not mean that the MOD is not good.

However, the non-endorsement button is not the solution to this problem either and the removal of that button is the message I wanted to ENDORSE with my comment.

Why do most people push that thumps down button? I think the vast majority does it because the green of the boots is not the green they like and the handle of the axe has not the shape they want, this is about taste and has nothing to do with quality.

In the situation that they push that button for technical reasons, e.g. missing meshes, they would better send a comment to the author of the MOD and ask for a fix, again there is no compelling reason for this "I won't endorse this file" button.

sound verry weired but i dont upload my mods here anyway due to admins banning people so much. i think if a new commenting system is made then we also need to change the baning system so banning is not permanit. we loose so many good modders over being baned forever. thats a wicked thing to do to people.

Actually your were banned previously as "Warlock2008", and all associated accounts and your mods deleteed by admin.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=125886

since you created this one you continued your habit of ratings abuse, and troll like and flame bait posts.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?act=Se...amp;mid=1271868

I may be old, but I am not blind.

Buddah