Nexus Mods App - v0.4.1 Milestone update

17 April 2024

image.thumb.png.cf57deb2c7748e2cff9ffa2804129a11.png

Improved Diagnostics for Stardew Valley 

To help users set up their mods in Stardew Valley we've added three new diagnostic messages to the app. These messages use the mod manifest files and external metadata to inform the user of problems in their setup. Diagnostics are now shown to the user in the following situations: 

• SMAPI is recommended when no mods are installed yet. (NEW!)
  • The installed SMAPI version is too old to work with the game version. (NEW!)
  • The game version is too old to work with the installed SMAPI version.  (NEW!)
  • An installed mod has missing dependencies.
  • An installed mod's dependencies are installed, but they are outdated.
  • An installed mod's dependencies are installed, but they are disabled.
  • A mod that requires SMAPI is installed but SMAPI is missing.
  • A mod that requires SMAPI is installed but SMAPI is disabled.
  • A mod is marked as obsolete or broken (according to SMAPI).

Screenshot of a critical error where the minimum support game version of SMAPI is greater than the currently game version.Screenshot of a suggestion for installing SMAPI to get started with modding Stardew Valley.

Preview changes before applying them

A new view has been introduced letting users see how the changes they've made to their mods will alter the game files before committing the change by clicking "Apply". The preview view shows the game folder (and any other folders managed by the app) with a colour-coded system to highlight files that will be added, removed or changed. 

Screenshot of the new Apply Diff View that displays a list of files without different states like "Contents modified" or "Added" as well as file counts for directories and file/directory sizes.

Other Changes

Every new release squashes a selection of bugs and makes other less exciting changes. Here are the notable entries for this release:

• Fixed a bug where the SMAPI console would not open when starting the game on Windows.
  • Fixed the left menu icons getting cut off under certain circumstances. 
  • Added a framework under the hood for the app settings UI.
  • Improved the way the app handles its log files.
  • Improved file handling, downloading from Nexus Mods and launching games via Steam on Linux. 

Try it out!

If you'd like to test out the app in its current state, you can grab the latest build from GitHub

Warning: This is an early development build which is not suitable to use as a daily driver for mods. Please make sure you have a clean, unmodded game folder before using it and be prepared to have to re-do your modded setup each time you update the app as core functionality may change without notice. 

To report issues with the app, click here

What's coming next?

It's still early days of the new app and we've got a whole load of features we're planning to build. The next stretch of work will be focusing on the following items:

• Loadouts - Creating multiple lists containing different combinations of mods and swapping between them.
  • Mod Library - A central place to display all downloaded mods and how this interacts with adding/removing mods from a loadout.
  • Settings - A section of the app where you can configure preferences. 
  • Change Handling - We're working on concepts we call "Apply" and "Ingest" internally which covers how changes to loadouts are applied to your game folder and changes made to the game folder outside of the app and synced back into your loadout.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I have two seperate installations of a game (SSE), can I keep my Vortex installation and use NMA on the other installation? 

2 hours ago, Zanderat said:

If I have two seperate installations of a game (SSE), can I keep my Vortex installation and use NMA on the other installation? 

The App is not suited for any game other than Stardew Valley and is not suitable to be daily driver at all yet. I'd suggest not using it for serious modding. 

Ok. Not playing SDV, so I’ll wait to take it for a spin.