Vortex keeps purging when I download and install a mod

blesch
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

18 hours ago, Zanderat said:

Most nonconstructive answer, ever.   Software has bugs, even MO2.  People in this thread are trying to troubleshoot a solution to a specific but not universal issue.  I am actually surprised at you @AugustaCalidia

My post was simply an informational response to  @TennesseeTuxedo, who wrote the following: 

On 6/4/2024 at 9:52 PM, TennesseeTuxedo said:

I was looking at MO2 as a possible escape hatch and that is not easy to find.  The github link is deleted.  I understand you have to get on discord to try to get it.  I don't know why it's so secret.  I wonder if the old Wrye Bash can handle it?

My post was intended neither as a comment on the central topic of this thread nor as a recommendation to abandon Vortex.

Hitting a record.  Whatever the problem is, it worsens over time.  I have not added any mods just enable and disable a small one esm mod several times over the past day for my testing of the issue.  The purge duration seems to steadily increase.  On a fresh restart of Vortex so it is not some cumulative effect and my PC's 64Gb is not running out.  10 minutes of purging to disable a one .esm mod.   Vortex/Starfield mod folder is 14Gb, ~12k files on NVMe.

2024-06-05T20:52:58.068Z [INFO] [mod-dependency-manager] finished purge activity in 597.709 seconds  = 10 minutes!!

All of my conflicts were being handled by Vortex but I disabled all conflicting mods anyway.  I have no conflicts but the 10 minutes of purge scourge is still there.

image.thumb.png.99b6040d7c6e938314edb83ec9b890a4.png

I then turned off the Mod Dependency Manager extension and NO PURGE!!!!!

image.png.1db810db0afbc0ea65e08d209bf96d5f.png

So it appears to be a problem of the Mod Dependency Manager.  It does not seem to be related to conflicts.  How do we find out more about Mod Dependency Manager and what that does to be able to make some more tests to see what can be triggering it to fail like it is?  Does it deal with mods that override others?  It doesn't seem like it would because that would be plugins.txt that I manage myself.  I have not allowed Vortex to manage my plugins.txt at this point in case that is another clue.

50 minutes ago, TennesseeTuxedo said:

All of my conflicts were being handled by Vortex but I disabled all conflicting mods anyway.  I have no conflicts but the 10 minutes of purge scourge is still there.

image.thumb.png.99b6040d7c6e938314edb83ec9b890a4.png

I then turned off the Mod Dependency Manager extension and NO PURGE!!!!!

image.png.1db810db0afbc0ea65e08d209bf96d5f.png

So it appears to be a problem of the Mod Dependency Manager.  It does not seem to be related to conflicts.  How do we find out more about Mod Dependency Manager and what that does to be able to make some more tests to see what can be triggering it to fail like it is?  Does it deal with mods that override others?  It doesn't seem like it would because that would be plugins.txt that I manage myself.  I have not allowed Vortex to manage my plugins.txt at this point in case that is another clue.

Where is that I can't find that toggle

My workaround to the 10 minutes of purge scourge.  This is risky and it would be great if someone could say for certain if this is bad and specifically why, even if done according to instruction here.  But it's desperate times waiting 10+ minutes for every mod.

1. Do mod operation (install, enable, disable, uninstall, ...)
  2. When the purge scourge starts, exit Vortex.  Logs say it closes clean but game folder is now in an inconsistent state, with many or all mods deleted depending on how fast Vortex was killed
  3. Re-open Vortex
  4. Click Deploy Mods
  5. BE VERY CAREFUL!  In this part, Vortex can delete every mod you have if you don't click "Revert all changes".  Vortex will see the lack of files in the game folder and think that mods were updated outside Vortex to ... have no files in them believe it or not and ask if you want to save this change.  Doing so will delete all the files for that mod from your MOD FOLDER!  Don't do that or you will be re-downloading all your mods.  Instead click "Revert all changes" which tells Vortex you want the files in your mod folders, and want them copied to the game folder.

image.png.edc9327fecb8ae0466dc924deea0ae23.png

6. This is what you want to see "Revert change(restore file)".  Click Confirm.  Done, no purge scourge and your changes are deployed.

image.png.62fc564889642bf8a22b56da17f8e167.png

• Like 1

@deathlyhill9 The Mod Dependency Manager is found in the 'Extensions' page of Vortex.  You have to click on 'Show Bundled' to reveal it, along with many other "hidden" extensions.  FYI - I have 1500 or so plugins on SE v. 1.6.640, and the Mod Dependency Manager is still active, with no problems.  Something else (or several somethings) may be contributing to the problem.

• Thanks 1

Disabling "Mod dependency manager" is not a solution to this problem. It will cause Vortex to completely ignore the conflicts in your setup and will break your mod list. 

We are as a priority actively working on improving the visibility of cross-modtype conflicts. In the meantime, we are close to finishing an update that will allow these conflicts to be fixed manually and act more like pre-1.10 Vortex. This update will be mostly finished today and then we need to test and tweak internally over the few days. 

We don't recommend turning this specific conflict checking off but we aren't ignoring your plight and really do want users to be able to mod and play their games! It's not outside the realm of possibility that we are missing a bug that we can't easily nail down to fix. Either way, hopefully this will help because as Picky said, disabling core extensions isn't ideal as problems can downward spiral pretty quickly.

Will have an update for you soon, thanks as always for your patience.

insomnious

Did my final 10 minutes of Vortex purging last night, this time intentional by pressing the "Purge Mods" button in preparation for my move to MO2 which was much quicker than I thought it would be since you can just use the Vortex folders with your downloads and mods already in them.  Thank you @AugustaCalidia and @showler for the links for that.  It only took a couple hours and I am FREE!

I already miss the tighter integration with Nexus but when I downloaded and installed a mod in MO2 in seconds vs 12 minutes+ with Vortex (10 min purge scourge +2 min deploy time), that made up for all, it was so satisfying I was practically giddy.

I had a wonderful experience with Vortex and FO4 (although I understand this purge scourge may have metastasized to other games managed with Vortex), which is why I was so bullish with it for Starfield.  But Starfield Vortex experience has been miserable and I have lost many gaming hours wrestling with these various issues that seem to be getting worse.  This last problem of tacking 10 minutes of purging onto already bloated processes was the 3 ton brick that broke the camel's already sprained back.  But I am in a better place thanks to the community here.

Peace and enjoy Starfield all!

• Like 1