Nexus Mods Navigation updates

Since you are working on the Nexus UI, could you please fix a bug that was introduced in one of the previous releases? It's with the notifications. You see that I have one unread notification.

Notification.jpg.454fad3f9785f8426cc0fd7ca02b773f.jpg

If I Left Click that notification, it opens that mod in the same tab. This is the expected behavior and works that way for read and unread notifications.

If I Shift + Left Click that notification, it also opens that mod in the same tab. That is not the expected behavior. It should open in a new tab and did so in the past. Shift + Left Clicking a read notification opens it in a new tab as it should be. The bug is only with unread notifications.

I'm using Vivaldi 6.8 (Chromium based browser).

This was mentioned in an earlier message, but it's also my biggest issue with it.

The "X" button is... annoying and unneeded. If you want to go to the site root (which you usually don't)  you can click the logo next to it.
It would be much better to merge it with the games drop down so there's extra space to show the full name.

Here's what I mean:
Untitled.png.ed2b43fb69231eedb9a0c2dec8d68fc0.png
(A not so great mockup but you get the point.)

The two don't need to be separate. Merge them and:
- There's more space for the title.
- The unneeded 'X' button is now a drop down button and opens what the 'games' button does now.
- There now 'one' button/space for games and not two separate buttons.
- If you really need a 'close' button, put it in the drop down?

As for the drop down itself, I really don't like how small the icons are now.
The previous horizontal row with large icons was much easier to use and nicer to look at. There's so much dead space on the current one.
Maybe go back to the horizontal layout with two or three rows?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Synthlight said:

This was mentioned in an earlier message, but it's also my biggest issue with it.

The "X" button is... annoying and unneeded. If you want to go to the site root (which you usually don't)  you can click the logo next to it.
It would be much better to merge it with the games drop down so there's extra space to show the full name.

Here's what I mean:
Untitled.png.ed2b43fb69231eedb9a0c2dec8d68fc0.png
(A not so great mockup but you get the point.)

The two don't need to be separate. Merge them and:
- There's more space for the title.
- The unneeded 'X' button is now a drop down button and opens what the 'games' button does now.
- There now 'one' button/space for games and not two separate buttons.
- If you really need a 'close' button, put it in the drop down?

As for the drop down itself, I really don't like how small the icons are now.
The previous horizontal row with large icons was much easier to use and nicer to look at. There's so much dead space on the current one.
Maybe go back to the horizontal layout with two or three rows?

Regarding the X button, on the "Mods" side it's mostly just there for consistency but if you look at the "Collections" or "User Profiles" part of the website you'll see how it's actually intended to work. 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Pickysaurus said:

Regarding the X button, on the "Mods" side it's mostly just there for consistency but if you look at the "Collections" or "User Profiles" part of the website you'll see how it's actually intended to work. 

Consistency to the detriment of quality is a poor excuse. I too rather dislike the tiny icons in the Games drop-down, the unnecessary and annoying X button next to the game name, the abbreviation of the game name itself... I never use Collections, but you just very significantly downgraded mods pages for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

Consistency to the detriment of quality is a poor excuse. I too rather dislike the tiny icons in the Games drop-down, the unnecessary and annoying X button next to the game name, the abbreviation of the game name itself... I never use Collections, but you just very significantly downgraded mods pages for me.

Hi there, the "x" button is there as an indicator to show that content is now being filtered by the selected game, and gives an obvious way to clear this. This was not clear to everyone before and could be confusing as to why content and search results were being filtered.

• Confused 1

Personally I don't like the X button mainly because as a user of the previous navigation site where the favorited would have an X that makes me believe it'll unfavorite if I click it and seeing as how the X is still there on the favorites list it just makes me afraid of that button even though I already know what it does

On another note I am not a fan mainly for phone, before I could click the drop down and have the games right there for quick navigation now its 2 button step and rather clunky, not a problem on pc but really frustrating for phone because I gotta click the navigation burger icon then games THEN I see my favorites.. its just no longer smooth experience there, pc its generally the same just different look but phone it changed everything

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mfPixel said:

Hi there, the "x" button is there as an indicator to show that content is now being filtered by the selected game, and gives an obvious way to clear this. This was not clear to everyone before and could be confusing as to why content and search results were being filtered.

It pretty much fails at this since there is still no indication that it is a filter rather than a navigation marker.  Anyone who didn't know about the filtering already will have no idea that it is being used to filter anything.

If it, at least, was a drop-down that allowed you to switch between your favorited games it would have some functionality beyond what was already there before.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mfPixel said:

I understand your dilemma, and you can't please everyone. However, what we have now is overly confusing because the same ribbon is used on all pages. What do you think happens when you are looking at a particular mod page and click the X button? Oh, you are being taken to the home page of Nexus Mods... How is that even relevant? And how is it different from clicking the Nexus Mods site icon just to the left of it? When I am looking at a particular mod page, I *know* it is filtered per game, what's more, it is filtered down to this one particular mod! The X button makes no sense there at all. The same as the game button next to it. I would remove that whole button completely, game and X - that's what the Games drop down is for, right next to it. Combine them, essentially, as @Synthlight was suggesting above.

• Like 3