Vortex Purge Firewall Error

whuber

Hi!  Please help, I'm stuck 😛 image.png.c7234e6c2da42d7ea1c5efe181da5153.png

I have Vortex version 1.12.4.

I'm on my PC, windows 10 (system info below) loving playing Baldur's Gate 3, patch 7 (purchased from Steam.) 

I'm new and did things a bit out of order. I had no problems playing the game with patch 6, but after I uploaded patch 7, I had a difficult time. I uninstalled the complete game, reinstalled it and removed most of my mods. The mods listed below are those that remain and I can' t remove. 

I discovered the "load order" section of Nexus after this and have been trying to follow it's instructions. BUT  every time I try to purge, it fails and I get a firewall error (screenshot provided below) despite Nexus & BG3 being whitelisted.  The path changes but it's always a firewall error of some sort. 

image.png.140364c55f2169128158ecf1d3d93ec7.png   Here are the mods. 

image.thumb.png.503e29f5556b8da4d17b813d903ee1fe.png

Thank  you in advance! 

Hey there. Are you on Discord? It's a bit easier for live chats and I feel like you've gotten yourself into quite a pickle. Just seeing 'Microsoft/WindowsApps/WindowPackageManagerServer.exe' inside of the Larian Studios Baldur's Gate 3 mods folder is quite scary and I'm amazed your PC is even working. I've no idea how that got inside there but I'll do my best to help you clear it all out and start again.

Regards,

insomnious

Somehow you've told Windows to install certain Windows components inside your BG3 folder. Vortex can't cause this, but it shows errors because these files are protected by the operating system. 

I've done a bit of Google-ing but I cannot work out how you've done this. You may want to look at the article here as a possible cause of this issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-app-installation-location/c1cf08e2-1608-400a-a055-38938e1ca8da

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who posted. I had to take my pc to the shop because the reason for the error would change every time. They had to completely wipe the game and Vortex, including app data, off my pc in order to get it to work and now I'm back downloading everything from scratch *cries*. I have patch 7 downloaded and BG3 now won't run Vortex mods. Can I downgrade to patch 6? 

@whuber I have no idea what is going on with your machine........  But I can safely say that Vortex does work with Patch 7.  If it were me, I would uninstall BG3 and all mods and start over.

7 minutes ago, Zanderat said:

@whuber I have no idea what is going on with your machine........  But I can safely say that Vortex does work with Patch 7.  If it were me, I would uninstall BG3 and all mods and start over.

@Zanderat thanks for the comment and you are right. I did that plus uninstall Vortex and that failed. I had the exact same problem so I had to take it to the shop and they uninstalled everything. 

Now I have reinstalled Vortex, BG3 patch 7 then my mods. No errors and so I tried patch 7. No mods were showing (I have some that would show at the very beginning). I uninstalled patch 7, down loaded patch 6 and same problem - no mods are showing up. I'm at a loss now. 

On 9/16/2024 at 12:12 AM, insomnious said:

Hey there. Are you on Discord? It's a bit easier for live chats and I feel like you've gotten yourself into quite a pickle. Just seeing 'Microsoft/WindowsApps/WindowPackageManagerServer.exe' inside of the Larian Studios Baldur's Gate 3 mods folder is quite scary and I'm amazed your PC is even working. I've no idea how that got inside there but I'll do my best to help you clear it all out and start again.

Regards,

insomnious

@insomnious I'm now on discord and still having trouble with BG3 & Vortex mods working. Can we chat on discord? 

12 hours ago, whuber said:

@Zanderat thanks for the comment and you are right. I did that plus uninstall Vortex and that failed. I had the exact same problem so I had to take it to the shop and they uninstalled everything. 

Now I have reinstalled Vortex, BG3 patch 7 then my mods. No errors and so I tried patch 7. No mods were showing (I have some that would show at the very beginning). I uninstalled patch 7, down loaded patch 6 and same problem - no mods are showing up. I'm at a loss now. 

Something like that happened to me.  You most likely have an incompatible mod or mods.