The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Oh, fish n chips(or fush un chups for you New Zealanders) can be enjoyed anywhere, any time-whether it's for lunch, dinner, at 4 AM, or while fighting a tiger in an exploding nuclear reactor-they're one of those "everywhere" meals.

Me, I'm having a very nice day indeed, since I've been finally promoted to ordering the other wrench-wielding monkeys around, I can relax a lot more at work, and since it's been a quiet day I went internet shopping between customers. On Saturday I bought myself a new project car, and I got the first delivery of it's bits today. I won't be doing any installing this week, the only thing in the hamper I'm planning to use later today is a huge tub of what's called Aircraft Remover.

Aircraft Remover is one of my old favorite tools, it's a highly acidic liquid that you soak metal machine parts in. The acid is carefully formulated to devour rust, metal impurities, paint, and any form of dirt, scum or residue, while leaving the metal below it gleaming like new. It smells OBSCENE and you have to wear old school welding gloves to handle it, but I love what it does-dirty, rusty stuff goes in, and comes out totally burned clean and shiny as new.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Nissan_Skyline_R34_GT-R_N%C3%BCr_001.jpg

This is what I've got, although it's a far cry from this beautiful example. Mine needs a LOT of bodywork, a new engine and new brakes-AND a better coat of paint(the IDIOT who owned it painted it purple) but hey, give me a couple of weeks and it'll be as good as new. Fixing a car like this is almost as enjoyable as driving it once fixed-the Skyline is an absolute classic, and this one will go like hellfire once it's done.

Edited by Vindekarr

I like the Skyline, the thing about those cars is the thing can be modified to a good 800HP with aftermarket parts.

not sure how legit that is tough, since i am comparing to gt5.

Edited by Thor.

Quite legit Thor-the max power output of an engine is set by the structural strength of the Big End Bearing and Crank Shaft(the parts the pistons link into) The more powerful an engine is, the more punishment the Big End(talking about my Big End always makes me grin, man-child I am) and Crank have to soak up, so the tougher they are, the more you can overclock the other aspects of the engine like the turbo and cam timing(the Stage One Tuning upgrade in Gran Turismo actually involves reinforcing the lower end). Like most Japanese cars, the Skyline's engine is bolted together like a bank vault. Upgrade the crank and bearings, and make the other appropriate mods, and you could easily get 800 horsepower-I know I've seen Skyline drag cars with that kind of power, it'd just be very expensive.

I'm targeting a more normal 360 horsepower from mine, since I'm going to be racing in CAMS Early-Modern(for cars from 1988 to 2002) and that mandates very limited engine tuning. Maybe it's my job-as a mechanic I mostly work on hot rods-but I've always hated what "tuners" do to cars like this. Mine's an absolute mess aesthetically, the idiotic previous owner painted it screaming purple and totally ruined the handling with a set of gargantuan rims. I'll be restoring mine to more of a showroom look, it'll have NISMO bumpers/wing but that's just because they cool the engine better-they're actually only slightly different to stock anyway. As for paint, I'm thinking a nice light silver and black with a carbon hood. Maybe some little red trim additions around the rims, spoiler, and intakes too.

Screaming fluoro paint, 25-inch fake chrome rims, and a 2-metre tall spoiler DO attract attention, but mostly in a "gee, look at what that MORON has done to his car" way. On the flip side, a beautifully turned-out classic really does turn heads in a good way. "tuners" need to grow up and realise that if they want to stand out, it should be because people are impressed by your ability to restore and preserve a classic car, not because you completely ruined a perfectly good car and painted it fluorescent purple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RB26DETT_R34.jpg

Those Skyline engines(the RB26) even look sexy. 276 horsepower stock, and about 350 without and air restrictor(which is what I'm aiming for)-good race versions easily bust 500+ horsepower. They're really easy to get, too. Nissan made the '26 for over 15 years, so finding a low-mileage specimen for cheap isn't hard at all.

Edited by Vindekarr

Quite legit Thor-the max power output of an engine is set by the structural strength of the Big End Bearing and Crank Shaft(the parts the pistons link into) The more powerful an engine is, the more punishment the Big End(talking about my Big End always makes me grin, man-child I am) and Crank have to soak up, so the tougher they are, the more you can overclock the other aspects of the engine like the turbo and cam timing(the Stage One Tuning upgrade in Gran Turismo actually involves reinforcing the lower end). Like most Japanese cars, the Skyline's engine is bolted together like a bank vault. Upgrade the crank and bearings, and make the other appropriate mods, and you could easily get 800 horsepower-I know I've seen Skyline drag cars with that kind of power, it'd just be very expensive.

I'm targeting a more normal 360 horsepower from mine, since I'm going to be racing in CAMS Early-Modern(for cars from 1988 to 2002) and that mandates very limited engine tuning. Maybe it's my job-as a mechanic I mostly work on hot rods-but I've always hated what "tuners" do to cars like this. Mine's an absolute mess aesthetically, the idiotic previous owner painted it screaming purple and totally ruined the handling with a set of gargantuan rims. I'll be restoring mine to more of a showroom look, it'll have NISMO bumpers/wing but that's just because they cool the engine better-they're actually only slightly different to stock anyway. As for paint, I'm thinking a nice light silver and black with a carbon hood. Maybe some little red trim additions around the rims, spoiler, and intakes too.

Screaming fluoro paint, 25-inch fake chrome rims, and a 2-metre tall spoiler DO attract attention, but mostly in a "gee, look at what that MORON has done to his car" way. On the flip side, a beautifully turned-out classic really does turn heads in a good way. "tuners" need to grow up and realise that if they want to stand out, it should be because people are impressed by your ability to restore and preserve a classic car, not because you completely ruined a perfectly good car and painted it fluorescent purple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RB26DETT_R34.jpg

Those Skyline engines(the RB26) even look sexy. 276 horsepower stock, and about 350 without and air restrictor(which is what I'm aiming for)-good race versions easily bust 500+ horsepower. They're really easy to get, too. Nissan made the '26 for over 15 years, so finding a low-mileage specimen for cheap isn't hard at all.

I have a Nissan Altima Myself, not a bad car, especially since its a 08 the milage is quite amazing for the year. Gas milage.

And in almost perfect condition considering the type of winters we have and salt they use on the roads.

Edited by Thor.