The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Whoa... I just pulled out my old headphones and tried them out - omg dat bass! My head feels like it's rumbling now. Not going back to earphones, that's for sure (I switched to earphones because Skyrim had low volume with my headphones, but I don't play Skyrim much any more so I switched back. Also the earphones broke).

Edited by billyro

For me it depends on what sort of game I playing. I prefer headphones for FPS and RPG games, but they're horrible for any sort of racing since the cords invariably get tangled in my gear shift arm, which is bad. I've got a cheap little Logitech 7.1 setup for driving games, the whole set was like, $50 but it's got a brilliant sub and the sound quality is amazing for the price. For me it's as imperative that a race car sound good as much as look good, and with that bass they all sound good.

Speaking of cars, I had a customer come in today with a Porsche which was supposedly making a "banging noise". I spent four hours checking over every inch of the engine for a production fault, only to find the "problem" was actually a chemical reaction that occurs in all sports cars. I don't mind getting paid to do almost nothing, but it does make me sad to see cars like that beautiful Cayman S in the hands of someone who bought it as a status symbol. It's like buying a champion race horse and using it at pony club.

Edited by Vindekarr

@billyro Earphones suck, headphones are awesome. Especially when you take two 3W speakers from an old TV and make them fit into noise-cancelling headphones construction workers use. :thumbsup:

In other news, it seems Skyrim can run on ultra at 45FPS stable on my hardware. FXAA enabled, 8xAA, 16xAF, HD textures, everything set to the highest possible values, it never dipped below 45FPS. I'm pretty happy with that, I used to run it on very low at 15-20FPS so this is a nice change. :happy:

And the interesting thing is, I get 2-3 second loading times off a 3Gb/s SATA II drive. I ran Skyrim off a SATA II drive on my old PC and it sure as hell didn't load that fast. Hmm, I have a feeling Hitachi is lying when it comes to speed of that particular drive model... :confused:

Edited by Werne

But there are. SSD cells only support a limited number of write operations. Still, the technology of the latest SSD's is increases it's lifespan so much that the limited number of writes can be completely ignored. By the time the SSD dies, you'll already have another rig with a SSD that way better and has way more storage space.

Only place where SSD's should not be used yet is in servers, because the number of writes in such systems is way higher then the system of your average user.