The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I've had her gift bought since the Steam Christmas sale, yo.

In other news, is it worth getting the Humble Weekly Sale for DiRT 3? I wanted to try it out with three monitors, heard it was actually made to work with triple screens.

I tried to find out what cars were in it.. I'm not all that interested in playing a game that only has the latest plastic imports. I want something with 50's style cars. That would be pretty cool.

For you, Uberman. I think you'd enjoy this; it's about $12 on Steam and highly acclaimed for realism. It's the closest I can find to an accurate, realistic '50s racing game that's any good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT_Legends I know it's '60s, but I don't know of any actual '50s game that are worth playing.

As for Dirt, it's a perfect choice for a first-time racer. It's hardcore enough to teach you the skills that a good racer needs, while being intuitive enough that you'll develop those skills quite quickly. You will need to practice a bit, and to pay attention to what the game tells you, but other than that's it's a great place to learn. The controls are particularly good; there's just enough realism to teach proper car-control while being forgiving enough not to punish newbies unfairly.

My advice? give yourself time to learn. This isn't a simple genre no matter what it seems; racing games simulate nearly every aspect of driving and it will take a few races to get the hang of it. My other tip? if you crash, watch the replay and see if you can spot what went wrong. There's nothing wrong with crashing if you learn something from it.