The last poster wins

TheCalliton

There's a Steam sale going on today, 75% off anything that's been nominated for this year's BAFTA awards. This includes several really brilliant games for under $10, including Bioshock Infinite. Just thought I get the word out.

http://www.wrackgame.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/steam_sale.jpg

It's unfair. I paid $90 for Bioshock Infinite, and I didn't even really like it. That'll teach me for buying into hype...

And I might get Tomb Raider, which is only $7.

I do *NOT* recommend buying Tomb Raider. If you thought Bioshock was overhyped, Tomb Raider will make your head explode. It's a truly awful game: it's absolutely linear and usually confined to a two-metre wide traversable corridor. Challenge factor is nonexistant: 90% of combat and danger takes the form of a Quick Time event, and if you're good at these the game is pitifully easy. If you're not, it's completely unplayable because QTE make up several hours of gameplay, with the rest being "exploration" of 1990s-sized open areas with constantly respawning generic bad guys.

The constant QTEs would be acceptable if they'd been done well, but they aren't. The problem is a combination of tiny prompts mixed with certain-death for any failure and bad respawn programming. ANY failed button press kills you, which results in a 45-second unskippable death scene and then a long loading screen. Prompts themselves are unhelpful: there's no colour-coding, they're badly placed, and many require you to mash at a specific rhythm which the game makes to attempt to explain. You're often left failing QTEs simply because you can't guess the undocumented rhythm required. After beating boss after boss simply by pressing Y at a certain rhythm, you'll be pretty sick of the game.

Another grave flaw, is the camera positioning. Usually it's fixed, which again, would be OK but is executed poorly. Despite clear attempts to de-sexualise her outfits, the game's fixed-camera usually aims at her breasts, crotch or butt. This is annoying for feminists because it's sexist, and it's annoying to gamers because quite often the camera is in a bizarre isometric angle aimed to give a look down her shirt, which is almost unplayable. Feminist gamers, will simply catch fire with their incandescent rage.

Finally, and this is what I really need to draw attention to. There's a very disturbing theme of voyeurism and sexualised torture in this game. The results of a failed QTE can go for as long as a minute, and are absurdly graphic. Female character often die in horrific ways, with a very disturbing emphasis placed using the camera. The game, to me as an observer, shows an alarming similarity to Japanese ero-guro movement "art". It's very disturbing, and raises serious questions as to who the game is marketed at.

If you like dying constantly, play Dark Souls. Atleast then it's your fault and actually achieves something. Leave Tomb Raider to the neckbeards who like it.

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/620x413/s_v/Tomb-Raider-5.jpg

Tomb Raider in a nutshell. Ditzy useless Brunette gets torn apart in graphic detail by a <______> while the camera

focuses on her breasts, and rimlighting highlights her crotch. It's like a quasi-interactive snuff-film.

Edited by Vindekarr

Well, I suppose that settles it, then. I won't be getting the game. I've never played a Tomb Raider game before, but if that's all it entails, then I've got better things to spend my time and money on.

EDIT: Gah, so many revelations as of late! Today I learnt that I was using the NVSE loader instead of the NVSE loader + 4GB patch, and that's why I was getting "Out of Memory" errors so often. I then discovered that my version was severely outdated, and updating it made it work once again with my ENB. So now, I was able to play for 10 minutes without a CTD due to expired memory, and I reckon I'll be able to play for much longer than that.

Ahh, so good.

Edited by billyro

Billyro, this last Tomb Raider isn't even Tomb Raider. It's a streamlined, shinier, cinema-ier, action-ier game that has Lara Croft in it. And the title "Tomb Raider", but it's not Tomb Raider.

If you want Tomb Raider, play Tomb Raider 1 or 2, those are the best ones. It was a great game back then, I used to play it a lot when I was a kid.

And Bioshock Infinite was quite good, it certainly was overhyped but it was still very good. Though I did prefer the previous one's atmosphere, the story was sometimes also very annoying with Elizabeth being stupid.

Billyro, this last Tomb Raider isn't even Tomb Raider. It's a streamlined, shinier, cinema-ier, action-ier game that has Lara Croft in it. And the title "Tomb Raider", but it's not Tomb Raider.

If you want Tomb Raider, play Tomb Raider 1 or 2, those are the best ones. It was a great game back then, I used to play it a lot when I was a kid.

And Bioshock Infinite was quite good, it certainly was overhyped but it was still very good. Though I did prefer the previous one's atmosphere, the story was sometimes also very annoying with Elizabeth being stupid.

The other Tomb Raiders didn't really appeal to me because they showed off Lara's sex appeal too promiscuously, and I liked the new approach to Lara's looks in the new one. It still seems that the same lechers developed the latest Tomb Raider as the old ones, though, despite the toned-down cleavage size.

And from what I gather in terms of gameplay, it is pretty much like a Prince of Persia game. I've played enough of those...

Bioshock Infinite story spoilers incoming...

I thought Bioshock Infinite was ok, but I had several dislikes about it.

First, the gameplay: it is just a basic shooter with a slight emphasis on vertical movement and some magic thrown in. There is nothing that really makes it unique or particularly fun, and a few sequences in the game just became a drag because of the un-fun standard shooting gallery gameplay.

Second, the story just became stupid once they started messing with alternate realities and stuff like that. I can understand where they wanted to go with it, and it made sense, but once you bring in things like time and space, there is just too many uncertainties to have a definitive ending. This pretty much ruined the whole game for me, since everything you strive to accomplish could just become undone by a different Booker.

Third, I was a little bit disappointed that Elizabeth was Booker's daughter. My initial impression from the trailers and box art was that they wouldn't be related, and thus would end up in a relationship towards the end. Call me a sucker for romance, but I just am. I was a little bit miffed when I discovered that Booker was Elizabeth's dad, but at least there wasn't any incest before that. Ugh, imagine what a disgusting plot twist that would be...

Fourth, it was too overpriced. I'd have been happy paying $50 for it, but definitely not $90. I bought into the hype and got ripped off. Oh well, I don't think anyone else will suffer the same fate as me, as long as they buy the game during a sale.

That's my rant. Yep.

sdfsdf

Very interesting, but have you considered fjdflksajflksd?

no but i have sdfdsfsewea

Oh, ok. Yeah, I get it now. :P

Edited by billyro

I had to buy a hard copy from EB Games because I didn't have enough internet to download the whole game. It would probably have been a bit cheaper on Steam, but I can't remember.

EDIT: Argh, the last ESO beta test is on this weekend, and the launcher wants to re-download the WHOLE GAME again! Screw that, I'm not downloading how-ever-many GB just so three of us can play for a few days.

Turns out that it was applying 11GB, not downloading. I still can't make it work, but there is always hope (now that I know it's not downloading it again).

Edited by billyro

Steams servers are slower then all get out right now do to sales :facepalm:

I bought banished today, i need a simple one click game. Lately been to stressed over moving and stuff, i just need time to relax and click, click.

banished crashed as i clicked on the wood cutter , hmm still buggy.

Good game though, relaxing game, which i need to fend of the stress of getting the place ready for sale.

Edited by Thor.