The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I just finished reading the fourth Dragon Age book. Again, I am disgusted to find a depressing ending in a book that had been engaging throughout the whole story. What is it with these writers? Where's the fun in building up these complex relationships to just go and rip them to shreds in the last 2 chapters? Stupid!

Again, I must hypothesise that authors seem to think that sad endings are better than happy endings. Sure, it can have a big impact on the reader, but not the type of impact that makes a reader continue to read. Why would a reader invest his/her time into a story that turns out horribly in the end? They wouldn't. So why the frig do authors make depressing endings anyway?

Edited by billyro

Because a great writer can make that into an artform, and all writers think they're great writers.

I've been playing Dark Souls 2 this evening, and while I'm loving it's clearly not perfect. They've clearly focussed their development, and thankfully focused on the really important stuff. Story-telling, gameplay, and combat have all taken huge leaps forward, particularly the combat system which has been heavily overhauled and runs on a new engine.

The overhaul is significant; the controls are unchanged but the all-important Movesets have been altered, with new moves added and a shift in emphasis from getting behind your opponent, to countering and skilled swordcraft. Overall it's a huge improvement: the pointless circle-strafe dancing from DS1 have been replaced by a more calculated, tactical fighting system. It's one of the best sword-combat engines I think I've ever seen.

The only actual, serious problem is with the graphics engine. While the art design has moved forward, and ragdoll fabric has greatly improved the previously outdated outfits, you're constantly reminded that it's a PS3 port. Graphics are a very mixed bag, with a few beautiful scenes and a lot of very average ones. Characters themselves are almost laughably bad by today's standards, with pudgey face textures that will need immediate modding.

Thankfully there's a totalconversion graphics mod already in public alpha. Anyone who plays on PC should go download Gedosato ASAP, as it does what From should have to begin with. I'm tempted to say that Fromsoftware should hire Peter Thoman directly; he's clearly more capable than their entire art department combined.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=487

Edited by Vindekarr

-snip-

The first screenshots of the game were great, but apparently they changed the lighting (because it now looks almost the same as the first) because of framerate issues on consoles. What I don't understand is why, if they truly did develop with PC at the helm (like the claim), did they change it and leave it looking so different from the screenshots/trailers if the problem was consoles.

Anyway, I have it on my Playstation and graphics don't bother me too much (I doubt it would run well on my laptop if I had bought it on Steam). The characters are still lacking, but it's a slight improvement over the first game. Mostly because beards. :tongue:

It's weird that you mentioned the game because I was actually going to post something about it last night, but never got around to it.

IMAG0073.jpg

I purchased a fabulous new armor (just the chest piece) and was so excited I decided to try it on right in front of the merchant... Unfortunately I forgot about it's effects (poison nearby foes, which apparently is anything that breathes, including friends). Armor merchant suffered a tragic accident. All those fumes from making armor, ya know? And a few stabby holes from my rapier.

Edited by K00L

Nice!

My only serious complaint is that I couldn't start as a pyromancer. I had a totally decked-out SL 450 Pyro in the orignal DS, and that kind of epic power is genuinely addictive. NG as a Pyro was hilarious in the original; you could 1-Shot everything up to and including some earlier bosses. The Combustion lineage were particularly great, they had a short range but nearly instant cast times; it was almost criminal to use them against noobs, since you could usually one-shot them as soon as they dropped their guard.

Edited by Vindekarr

I actually was wondering why pyromancer wasn't a class. It was my favorite class in the first, and I ended up using swordsman in this one, but I guess it really doesn't matter too much what class you start as.
They have the explorer, the class where you start with a lot of items but not very good skills, so the only obvious reason I can think of to not have pyromancer as a class (because it's not really based on stats) is kind of irrelevant with that class being around. I actually haven't used any of the pyromancies much in the second. In the first I really focused on that and dexterity, and in this one I'm leaning more towards intelligence and faith as well as dexterity.
I'm glad they have a way to reset your level as well so if you decide you don't like being fast and stabby you can go reset and start smashing instead. I made the mistake of thinking I might be good with strength, dexterity and vitality (if I remember right, that's the new attribute for equipment load?), but realized a few bosses in that I'm better dodging and moving quickly than trying to swing large weapons and wearing armor.

I'm really enjoying PvP for the most part, which is something I missed out on in the original (because on my PC it ran too slow to connect, and on the Xbox everyone was either vastly better equipped or cheating by the time I owned the game). I have had a problem with lag though. In particular people who I invaded where somehow hitting me when there was obviously enough distance that I should have been safe. The worst part is, I don't think I'm lagging. If I am it doesn't feel like it, but at the same time the other players don't appear to be lagging either.
I've been trying to stick to helping other people because of that, but the excitement of facing a tough enemy in PvP is so fun that it's hard to just ignore.
I also haven't been invaded yet, which is really making me want to suddenly become a really mean person and start invading all the time. Maybe there isn't enough of a reward for people to risk invasions, but I've only been attacked in a few certain places that work similar to the forest in the first game.

I really hope that they have the sorcery to let you disguise yourself as a barrel/pot/etc in the second, but I haven't found it yet.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but i will catch up on it once i move. the thing is i have been to busy lately for gaming, i might check to see if Netflix has it.

35mbit down, 4mbit up

Life is not fair

IRXJVGX.png

My speed has been decreasing actually. Even though I was promised 5Mbps, I'm barely getting 4.

Of all internet providers, I chose the one that right now has no options to increase speed.

I forgot to mention unlimited :dance: actually 3 up with cable this time

http://www.acanac.ca/ontario.html

We officially move into our new place may 15, so more packing to do, sigh..

Edited by Thor.

Not available in my area.

if you think dark souls is hard, try borderlands2 op8 raid bosses.

unless they are level 72, still makes this boss epic.

Edited by Thor.