The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Thor you can't seriously compare Dark Souls and Borderlands. That just doesn't make any sense; it's like comparing COD and Skyrim. One's a casual shooter and the other is a fantasty RPG. It just doesn't make any logical sense.

And besides, Borderlands 2 is one of the easiest video games I've ever played. A well-geared character makes a mockery of TVHM and UVHM, and on the rare chance you actually manage to die, the penalty is nonexistant. Checkpoints are much too easy, and you don't really lose anything except a small fee.

Dark Souls is nothing remotely like that. You lose all your Souls-which are EXP and Money combined. You also permanently lose a portion of your HP bar, all the enemies in the area reset, and you are taken back to the last checkpoint you manually activated, regardless of where that is. You may well lose hours of progress, and will most certainly suffer a terrible financial loss.

Edited by Vindekarr

Oh hey Dark Souls 2 talk.

I've tried it today. I like it a lot more than the first one, though I'm still not capable of actually doing any progress.

I get to Majola (or whatever the nice place's name is) I go to the left and then down the destroyed fort thingy next to the hole, some huge knights kill me. I go to the right next to the bonfire into the forest of the something giants and a knight kills me (he f***ing bluffed, he stopped chasing after me (he had like [] this much health), he was like "ugh i'm done just kill me" and i come near him and he just one hits me with a half full health bar).

I'm bad at this game ok? Bad.

Though I must say the PC port runs on max at 60 FPS constantly and it kind of looks nice, though like Vin said in some places the game is an obvious console port. Still purty.

Re: Borderlands 2

It's the easiest FPS I played in recent years.

I haven't died once in the game and I'm playing alone. I don't even try to be good at it, I just randomly play and do quests, it started to bore me again so I stopped.

Might want to pay someone to check your cables. I was only getting 4 MBps on a 12 MBps plan, called the ISP and they discovered that a vine on the outside of my house had interfered with the communications wiring, causing a severe loss of speed. The wire was replaced and now I get a smooth 12 MBps, exactly what I pay for. Considering how little I pay and the other services I get for my money-and the customer service-I couldn't be happier with my ISP.

Nah, I get 470Kb/s download speed and I always did. (They did advertise it as "UP TO 5Mb/s" after all.) This is the fastest you can get here, sadly, without paying a fortune that is.

I forgot to mention unlimited :dance: actually 3 up with cable this time

http://www.acanac.ca/ontario.html

You mentioned it 5 times in this thread at least.

On a different ISP I could get 20Mb/s down for $50 monthly. But because my current ISP is too retarded, I'm stuck with 4Mb/s.

Edited by Iv000

Don't worry about it Iv000. Everybody sucks at Dark Souls in the beginning, that's part of the reason people like it so much. In an era where hand-holding is the norm and giant neon signs point the way, it's a breath of fresh air to play a game that actually requires you to learn how to play it.

You'll suck for a while, most people say you need about 100 hours or so to really start building up skills. But you won't suck forever. Stick with it, and Dark Souls can teach you alot about both it, and gaming in general. It's a great way to build up your reflexes and getting better at hack-n-slash.

If I have a tip for you, it's to always learn an enemy's "attack pattern" before you make a serious attempt to kill it. All enemies have a pre-defined set of moves that they'll use against you, so sitting back and watching what they do is a critical way to learn how to beat them. My other tip? treat everything as a learning experience. This is a very difficult and very long game, so consider the difficult first phase your "jedi training" You'll emerge as a badass at the other end, trust me on that. And it'll be all the sweeter for the difficulty you push through.

Final tip? no guides. If you can, force your way through this on your own. Dark Souls is like a mountain; climbing to the top, on your own is an amazing feeling and you'll not soon forget it.

Don't worry about it Iv000. Everybody sucks at Dark Souls in the beginning, that's part of the reason people like it so much. In an era where hand-holding is the norm and giant neon signs point the way, it's a breath of fresh air to play a game that actually requires you to learn how to play it.

You'll suck for a while, most people say you need about 100 hours or so to really start building up skills. But you won't suck forever. Stick with it, and Dark Souls can teach you a lot about both it, and gaming in general. It's a great way to build up your reflexes and getting better at hack-n-slash.

If I have a tip for you, it's to always learn an enemy's "attack pattern" before you make a serious attempt to kill it. All enemies have a pre-defined set of moves that they'll use against you, so sitting back and watching what they do is a critical way to learn how to beat them. My other tip? treat everything as a learning experience. This is a very difficult and very long game, so consider the difficult first phase your "jedi training" You'll emerge as a badass at the other end, trust me on that. And it'll be all the sweeter for the difficulty you push through.

Final tip? no guides. If you can, force your way through this on your own. Dark Souls is like a mountain; climbing to the top, on your own is an amazing feeling and you'll not soon forget it.

Thanks Vin,

I guess I never really had much time to play so I gave up too quickly.

With school and tests and stuff I really can't afford to take a few hours of play per day :P

It's just a matter of experience, you'll get used to it.

Being mobile really helps. You aren't going to "tank" more than the smallest attacks, so it pays to stay fairly light on your feet and use the Evade. Jumping around like a Quake player on crack is preferable to getting hammered flat by X Y or Z monster. There's also no shame in running away if you're outgunned. The original game actually taught players to run away if outgunned during the limited tutorial, and it's sage advice. If you can't win, don't fight.

My other tip, explore. Dark Souls has more secret areas, shortcuts, hidden items and general treasure than any other modern game I have played. I mean that seriously; keep your eyes open out in the field, because treasure could be literally anywhere. The original Dark Souls was literally jammed full of easter-eggs, most of them enormous. Most of the best weapons were hidden in alcoves and puzzles, waiting for a curious player to nose them out. It will reward your curiosity, so take the time.

As for weapons, most of the best gear in the original Dark Souls was either outright hidden, or came fro undocumented hidden side-quests. The Great Scythe, Lucerne, Greataxe, Estoc, Dragonslayer Bow and Claymore are all outstanding weapons, and are all equally well hidden. It took me until my second playthrough to find the Great Scythe(a brilliant weapon) It's the same thing for armour; most of the best looking, best protecting sets are hidden from view. You won't get a Brass or Paladin set trudging down the beaten trail, and yet neither is hard to find if you seriously look. Follow your nose.

Why is it so hard for me to find the motivation to mod? I have four projects in varying states of completion, all good concepts, but I can't work on any of them much less complete them. My mind just blanks out and I stare at the screen until I wander off to do something, anything else. Focus on something for once brain!

Just wrote 3,000 words for a potential story that has been brewing in my head. I didn't even write it properly - just a brief outline of the events and characters and stuff. It's not even done, either... probably only about halfway.

If I ever start to write it, it'll be bloody huge.

It's just a matter of experience, you'll get used to it.

Being mobile really helps. You aren't going to "tank" more than the smallest attacks, so it pays to stay fairly light on your feet and use the Evade. Jumping around like a Quake player on crack is preferable to getting hammered flat by X Y or Z monster. There's also no shame in running away if you're outgunned. The original game actually taught players to run away if outgunned during the limited tutorial, and it's sage advice. If you can't win, don't fight.

My other tip, explore. Dark Souls has more secret areas, shortcuts, hidden items and general treasure than any other modern game I have played. I mean that seriously; keep your eyes open out in the field, because treasure could be literally anywhere. The original Dark Souls was literally jammed full of easter-eggs, most of them enormous. Most of the best weapons were hidden in alcoves and puzzles, waiting for a curious player to nose them out. It will reward your curiosity, so take the time.

As for weapons, most of the best gear in the original Dark Souls was either outright hidden, or came fro undocumented hidden side-quests. The Great Scythe, Lucerne, Greataxe, Estoc, Dragonslayer Bow and Claymore are all outstanding weapons, and are all equally well hidden. It took me until my second playthrough to find the Great Scythe(a brilliant weapon) It's the same thing for armour; most of the best looking, best protecting sets are hidden from view. You won't get a Brass or Paladin set trudging down the beaten trail, and yet neither is hard to find if you seriously look. Follow your nose.

I've played the original one, I barely got past the Taurus Demon. I gave up after that, no time, no nerves and not enough time to gain experience.

What I like about the second one is how after 15 deaths enemies don't respawn anymore when you rest at a bonfire. That and the improved everything is the reason why I'm playing the second one first :P