The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I'd love to get Diablo 3 but it's far too expensive. All Blizzard games are right now. I would have gotten Starcraft 2 long ago if it wasn't 40€ still.

I do feel compelled to give a minor little warning about Diablo though. I remember not too long ago somebody, I think it was you(apologies if it wasn't) mentioning that they aren't a fan of gore. Well, if that is an issue you may want to give Diablo a miss. Most of the time it's 100% fine, but there are a couple of Skills that turn it into an absolute snuff-film. The Crusader's Chains and the various Fire spells are the major culprits, leaving trails of shredded, broken, mangled corpses and gruesomely charred enemies respectively. I don't think you can switch either off.

I love gore and I don't mind it at all, it adds some realism and 'depth' to killing enemies. You confused me with someone else, I do remember someone saying that though.

Anyway Diablo aside, I got Watch Dogs on my PC. I played it for about one hour and I finished the intro mission and I did a tiny bit of free roaming.

So the game doesn't work too well on my PC on any settings higher than low or medium, I miss the time when my 6870 could play all games with no problem. On low/medium it's fine, the FPS is good and the game looks okay. The game itself I think feels a bit too arcady and less realistic as they marketed it to be in the beginning. The hacking feels a bit disappointing, it's really fast and really powerful, which it shouldn't be from the beginning at least. Controlling Aiden feels a bit stiff and limited, but that's nothing you can't get used to. The driving is very arcady, a bit less so than in Sleeping Dogs, but still the cars are heavy yet they control too easily, there's no damage like in GTA 4 which is disappointing.

The game just feels underwhelming, I'm sure it's an amazing game, but I just wish that I haven't seen any of the early promo videos. After all the hype died down it feels a little disappointing. I'll play a bit longer and I'll post again.

Edit:

So after one more hour of just walking and driving around, I know why the game feels a bit...less. Maybe it's just me, but it feels a like they took Assassin's Creed, removed parts from it and threw a GTA hacker theme on all that remained. The game is great, really, but the free running feels 1/4th of what it is in Assassin's Creed, the controls are still a bit eh (and I'm playing with an X360 controller so I may not be used to that). I dont know, it feels limited. I'm not saying that it is, and there's plenty of side content to do, but it just feels limited and I don't feel fresh while playing it like I felt with other open world games.

If anything it should be compared to Sleeping Dogs more than to Assassin's Creed or GTA. It's an open world game that takes things from many other games, does somethings really great and some things less so, and is less polished than it could have been considering the half a year delay. The polish is what's bothering me I guess. It's like heaving an amazing smartphone with a scratched screen. You have all this amaze stuff in it and it's really powerful but those scratches are still there and they're making the experience less amazing.

One of the really great things in this game though is how every NPC has a small backstory to him, it add's depth and morale to the whole thing. The experience system is nice too, without it the game would feel a bit more pointless. The digital trips are great as well, I love the "Alone" one especially. What is bothering me is how crime is handled, you can hack so many civilians and you don't get a penalty at all. The game has a reputation system already, and you get rewards if you solve crimes and you get penalties if you kill civilians. But hacking and stealing a cancer patient's bank account is apparently totally ok. The police are aggressive, but I think civilians should be more cautious of what you're doing. Someone will call the cops most of the time if you shoot a gun near people, but when you just pull it out, aim at someone, steal a car, hack a traffic light and create a jam and other things, you won't get penalized, which I feel gives the player too much power.

You've got a check-in system in the game similar to IRL Foursquare. When you get near certain points you check-in with your phone and it gives you details about the place. It's a nice touch, and it makes collectibles less annoying. They could have done more with the phone itself I think but maybe that's just my techy side being too geeky.

I really like this game and I'll play it a lot I'm sure, but something is holding it back from being an amazing open world game. For now, it's a really great game though and I think people should get it even though I mostly listed negative things here. I just like being cynical and annoying :P

Edited by Iv000

That's my feeling about it at as well. A very impressive game that's the victim of hype: this occurs in all industries, and is why smart corporations employ their right to Embargo the press until their product is actually released.

Speaking of games, I had the pleasure of trying the Wolfenstein Reboot this afternoon, thanks to a friend. As reboots go, this is possibly the best I've ever seen. It completely re-imagines Wolfenstein and takes it along a new, far more serious direction. The new game is a very unusual and atypical FPS: there is no DLC, no multiplayer and no generic "modern realistic combat scenario"

This games tries to focus on telling a story, and amazingly it achieves just that. The shooting mechanics, the graphics and the combat are all superlative, but they aren't the purpose or the main attraction. If the "main event" in a typical shooter is the multiplayer, then here it's the interactions between characters and the cutscenes, which are superb. It's also quite shocking: this is the first game that this studio has ever made.

All in all it's nothing like what you would ordinarily expect from a modern FPS. It's intelligent, well crafted and by far the best FPS on the PS4 right now. If you can find it cheap, you'll absolutely love it. It melds '90s FPS goodness with modern refinement and the sort of characters and story that FPS games just don't have anymore. Every few years an FPS appears and breaks all the rules, this is one of them. Keep your eyes open, it's one for the collection once it's on sale.

Edited by Vindekarr

I edited my post if anyone cares.

tl;dr It's great but it was overhyped and it's not as polished as they showed it would be which makes it feel a bit shallow.

Oh and I forgot to mention, anyone who has an iOS or Android device can get the ctOS Mobile App for free. I am bad at describing things so I'll just copypaste this:

The free app pits gamers against PC and console adversaries in a series of races and challenges. The player on the mobile app must do everything possible to thwart their console adversary by hacking into the city.

Sounds fun

Edited by Iv000

Normally I wouldn't mention general racing games here, but I finished one tonight and feel compelled to underline just what the developers did. It was called Gas Guzzlers, and it was made by a brand-new studio called Gamepires, who I strongly suspect are Croatian. Gas Guzzlers is their second ever game, and what they've achieved with it is astonishing. It won't ever achieve global fame, but I would vouch for it being the best "Arcade" racing game I've played in half a decade.

What makes Gas Guzzlers amazing, is that a little studio that nobody has ever heard of, has made a game that's undeniably superior to the current Need For Speed game, Rivals. On any objective level, Gas Guzzlers is simply better than Rivals. It has prettier graphics, it's more reliable, it's got roughly twice the content and it's just more fun to play. GG is crass, and rude, and has a rapacious appetite for violence, but as a technical achievement it's just staggering.

That's all I wanted to say: Gamepires have pulled an exceptionally good game literally out of the ether, and I feel as though that deserves some recognition.

Hm, Watchdogs did look pretty interesting, but I was mildly disappointed that the hacking wasn't the main mechanic of the game. Instead the devs opted to focus more on shooting, which made it into a not particularly unique game. We've had so many FPS games in the last several years that it takes a lot of innovation to make one really stand out. Borderlands, Human Revolution, Dishonored, and Spec Ops: The Line are the only ones that really stuck for me.

I just started installing the game, i will report back with fps benchmarks.

its on my Samsung 840 evo 500gb :laugh:

I might need to upgrade the ram at this rate, the way these games have huge memory leaks, or severely unoptimized :teehee: Instead of finding the original ram manufacture i think i might just get a whole new set this time.

its taking forever to install from dvd, sighh!!. At least i don't have to download it completely off of uplay or steam.

I fear the password reset-key reset when it comes to uplay, my anger below.

I had a similar problem with Uplay in the past with resetting keys and passwords. If this happens again, i am going to take back watch dogs and never buy from uplay ever again. Won't matter what game it is.

incompetence from uplays side, and illegal. uplay is not immune to the better business burial. Writing report is a way to tell the business its not right what they are doing, it sends a strong message.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/779688-Games-on-UPLAY-gone-after-password-change/page3

PS uplay you seriously need to upgrade your servers asap.

Edited by Thor.

Its a 3 disk install :blink:

LOOOL i have to wait another hour for dlc to download, comes with season pass and all the goodies.

Edited by Thor.