The last poster wins

TheCalliton

If the energy output is as it was claimed to be, it would literally turn you into a light socket from anywhere in the world, no wires needed. :geek: Just the thought of that would be funny to watch, to see the worlds reaction to the self powered lights. :teehee:

Edited by Thor.

I got to see the Tesla light show when I was a little boy. Traveling with the family we stopped in a museum and the miniature tower was inside. They had all sorts of stuff there.

We saw an old guy inside part of the Museum. The old guy had a tube, like a fluorescent light bulb, I thought he was waving his magic wand causing an electrical storm.

He had white hair. He wasn't that kind of a magician. I think it was in Colorado Springs, CO.

The problem with that machine is the graphics card, it was crap even in 2004, right now it would be in the GeForce GT 210 range. It wasn't designed for gaming even when it was new, right now it gets beaten by an average HTPC card. I'd get a used GT 630 or 640, those are formidable in budget gaming machines and you can get one for little to no money, sell the P4 machine and the 9400 GT and you can afford the 630/640 just from the money you get by selling those. The CPU could easily handle a 760 or 770 with a slight overclock though, it's still a good chip.

One thing that doesn't sound good though...

Not good at all actually, that thing stresses the hardware a lot and a shutdown could indicate PSU or motherboard power delivery failure, maybe even inadequate PSU wattage (common with el-cheapo PSUs, wattage on the label is not the wattage you get).

Was there a BSOD or did the PC just shut down without a warning?

Yeah, the graphics card was just a card I had used to run a third monitor, wasn't ever intended for actual gaming. I might put one of my GTX 550s into it later, as I'm considering finding a new video card.

The computer shut off immediately. It's running off a (labeled as) 400W PSU, so that's probably a cause of it.

With a gt9800 you could play skyrim pretty well with enb at 720P.

also Russia of all places has a Tesla tower, If refurbished could work again.

Edited by Thor.

The good old times when I played Fallout 3 on a GT 7300.

15 FPS for 60+ hours. My standards were quite low back then so I actually had huge fun with it.

I think I had 512MB of RAM and an Intel Celeron at 1.8Ghz. My first PC <3

Edited by Iv000

My 4th pc was a Quad amd fx 940 clocked at 3.00ghz per core, with a gt9800. Its more then capable of running windows 7 at 1080P, any media you throw at it except 2k it plays like no tomorrow. Loads pretty quick for a 8 year old machine..

Pretty snappy for its age if you ask me, windows experience index reads 7.4.

Edited by Thor.

Yeah, the graphics card was just a card I had used to run a third monitor, wasn't ever intended for actual gaming. I might put one of my GTX 550s into it later, as I'm considering finding a new video card.

The computer shut off immediately. It's running off a (labeled as) 400W PSU, so that's probably a cause of it.

Yeah, the card is a no-go for gaming, good for older games and light Source engine based games (on low settings) but other than that, it won't run anything else smoothly.

And the PSU might be the problem, the card is a 50W unit (which means it draws around 60-65W at peak) and the CPU is 77W TDP which accounts for 200-220W with the full system draw (everything inside the machine + PSU efficiency losses). Some of the 400W-branded units may struggle with that, I have a 450W CCT PSU that can't deliver 200W (shuts down with a Core 2 Duo E4500 and Radeon 7770, both stock) and you might have one like that as well.

Check if the PSU fan is working, could be that the PSU overheats under high load. And to check exactly what the problem is, get these programs:

Prime95 (IBT stresses the RAM too hard, you don't want to stress RAM, just the CPU)

FurMark (old but punishing and unforgiving)

HWINFO64 (shows temps of damn near everything, even your hard drives)

Fire up HWINFO and Prime95, run Large FFTs and monitor CPU temps. If TJunction (aka, any of the cores) goes over 80C, you need better CPU cooling or airflow. Then fire up Furmark and check the GPU temp, if it goes over 90C it means it's overheating, needs better cooling or airflow. If nothing overheats, fire up both (run Small FFTs in Prime95 when running both), if the machine shuts down swap PSU for one you know it's working and re-run combined test. If it shuts down even then, your mobo is faulty, if not, the PSU is faulty.

If it shuts down while running just the CPU stress test, it's the board, and if it shuts down while running the GPU stress test swap card and PSU for the ones that work 100% and if the same happens again, mobo power delivery is faulty. If it doesn't shut down at all under stress, then it could just be the game + hardware combo. For example, Far Cry 2 was shutting down my old machine despite the fact that everything on it was 100% stable and in working order, but it didn't shut it down on my brother's machine which was identical except for the graphics card (he had a 5570, I had a 4350). FC2 was crap anyway so no harm done there.

All in all, you have a new PC with components that work so you have parts you can transplant for testing. My money is on the PSU though, 90% of the no-BSOD full-system-stress shutdowns are PSU-related, the other 10% is mobo power delivery overload and sometimes even software-related.

As a side note, I love Legion in Mass Effect 2, he's the very definition of awesome, not to mention he overclocks his kinetic barriers. And I love how on the Citadel at the C-Sec terminal he said "Geth do not infiltrate" yet his class is "Geth Infiltrator". :laugh: