Boss or Loot?

maladar

Yeah the latest version, which hasn't been updated since July, did something dumb and I believe is meant to be implemented or used with IE11. Therefore the report never shows for me, and I have to hunt it down

Yeah, kind of a silly expectation on their part considering Internet Explorer's primary use these days is for downloading a different browser.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use loot now and it hasn't failed yet, things are running smoothly(touch wood). I think that BOSS used a regularly updated master list to see which order they go in. I'm pretty sure that LOOT is a newer version of BOSS(albeit completely different) that looks at the mod itself to see what it does and then compares it with other mods to see where it should go. Not sure if LOOT has or needs an updated master lists though, I think it just runs on the algorithms.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the latest version, which hasn't been updated since July, did something dumb and I believe is meant to be implemented or used with IE11. Therefore the report never shows for me, and I have to hunt it down

Yeah, kind of a silly expectation on their part considering Internet Explorer's primary use these days is for downloading a different browser.

Yea they should give us options if we want that to show up after a sorting or make it generate a log or text file rather than the above.. I'm using this on wine on osx and through MO = triggering a memory leak that exist in wine after sorting a lot of mods from step... shrugs

Actually, IE11's stability is on equal grounds with Chrome, Firefox, etc. Making it require IE11 would be a bad idea for a game that supports multiple operating systems, but for a windows-exclusive game, it's fine.

Assuming you're not already running IE with twenty tabs open, it's faster to load than loading Chrome and all of your saved tabs. Of course, once Chrome loads, it'll be faster, but LOOT/BOSS isn't exactly something you keep open for long periods of time.

On topic: I use BOSS currently, but once I start a new play-through I'll switch over to LOOT. BOSS works as well as (sometimes even better than) LOOT for mainstream mods that have been downloaded and thoroughly tested, but LOOT can appropriately order mods that haven't been recorded. Most mods I use are barely documented or used, so LOOT will work out better in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems safe enough... Thing is only that it tells me to FO3-Edit-Clean mod's that BOSS tells me not to clean 'coz the dirty edits are intentional...
Like MMM and RobCo f.ex... My loadorder appears very different after running LOOT compared to BOSS. Let's see if the game swallows it! (It did!)
d.s: version 0.6.0 seems to be a major improvement upon prev. releases.

Edited by Voyager23

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been using LOOT for about a month or so now, NO problems or incompatibilities shown, I had crashes when I was using BOSS, no crashes ever since I switched to LOOT.

I've actually had the exact opposite experience - no problems with BOSS, but my savegame wouldn't load when I tried switching to LOOT. I think there are some mods out there that are still too complex for LOOT to figure out where they should go.