Happy Veterans Day

WaLkAwaY

Just wanted to say thank you to those who serve and those who have served. A Veteran in our group posted this I thought it was nice. I know it says United States and not everyone is in the United States but Veterans Day for other countries could be celebrated does not have to be on this day. I mean every country has Veterans who have fought for their respective countries. I guess what I am tryign to say is just insert your country in the United States area of the passage. I meant it for the United States Veterans but then thought it might be rude if other countries were not included. :biggrin: :thanks:

A Veteran -

whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." - That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

-- Author Unknown

To all of you who served that I was acquainted with, "I hope you blazed a trail and after the trials of our times I hope you found the path you left behind you led you back home."

Thank you all! To the wise old military members who are retired, to those who are in the V. A. Hospital's, or some facility for your care! From the bottom of my heart I thank you all.

In the UK we do mark this day, 11th November, as Armistice Day, which is the same as Veterans Day. Two minutes silence will be observed at 11am GMT. I believe the day will certainly be marked in much of Europe too.

"They grow not old, as we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We WILL remember them."

(Lawrence Binyon, For The Fallen)

We did a lot about it in the UK. In my school, I was in group of volunteers and we had to lead the assembly in the morning. First one was for youngest, and the other 2 were for people from Year 8-9. EDIT - Year 8 is for 12 years old people.

I think it is very proper how they are doing such things as you describe in the schools, Omeletter. A lot of our young people are also being taken on school visits to the battlefields in France and in Flanders. At this moment I am watching the early evening news showing a recording of the Queen taking part in the national ceremonies today, with a bugler sounding The Last Post and the standards of all three Armed Services being dipped. I had some time free at work and my office is just a step away from the town war memorial, so at 11am I slipped out and joined the simple ceremony there. The poem I quoted above was read by a veteran, The Last Post sounded and then two minutes silence followed by Reveille.

At this time we give thanks for the sacrifice of all veterans, and also particular ones in some cases. My paternal grandfather and his two eldest sons, killed within a few weeks of each other in WWII. Another uncle was only eighteen when, during the retreat towards Dunkerque, he had the misfortune to run into a Waffen SS unit. Shot AFTER surrendering. My maternal grandfather was carried half dead from Flanders Field on 11/11/1918, haunted to his dying day by what he saw and experienced.

The tragedy is, such tales are being repeated still.

Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

After serving in the U.S.M.C. in the Aviation Support M.O.S., I can proudly say that I loved every minute, and would do it all again without a moment's hesitation. I'd also like to send my prayers to all of the men and woman who died, and were injured at Fort Hood in Texas, and around the world. Soldiers step into the annals of history through service and sacrifice.

Semper Fidelis.

Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

For you who cannot read latin...

--

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine,

et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Te decet hymnus Deus, in Sion,

et tibi reddetur votum in Ierusalem.

Exaudi orationem meam;

ad te omnis caro veniet.

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine,

et lux perpetua luceat eis.

English translation...

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,

and let perpetual light shine upon them.

A hymn becomes you, O God, in Zion,

and to you shall a vow be repaid in Jerusalem.

Hear my prayer;

to you shall all flesh come.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,

and let perpetual light shine upon them.