Comparing The Specs..

Dullahan

Major Max, thank you for waiting so patiently for an answer to your question. If i could help, i would, but i am not that computer savvy, so even if i were to make an educated guess, it may not work for you, and you would have uselessly used your money.

However, if a qualified person were to take a stab at it? Hint hint :-)

Just so you know, Dullahan, you can edit your post if you want to add to it after posting. This is generally a good idea, unless posting an update after a day or something. Double or triple posting, unless entirely necessary, is considered to be spam. Thanks.

Just so you know, Dullahan, you can edit your post if you want to add to it after posting. This is generally a good idea, unless posting an update after a day or something. Double or triple posting, unless entirely necessary, is considered to be spam. Thanks.

whoa!!! Forum-lingo is mindboggling!

I thought double-and-triple posting was posting the same thing verbatim over, and over, and over again.

This, i didn't do.

double and triple posting = 2 or 3 posts from the same member one after another...unless the first post was made yesterday and then the second post a day later or so...spamming is mainly posting useless text or many posts saying the same thing and so on

the Radeon 9600 should play this game and with decent settings

also the oblivion.exe isn't corrupt...due to a virus ironically also being named Oblivion.exe, anti-virus and such think the .exe is the virus, not the game...then again I haven't had first hand experience with oblivion...yet so it could be corrupt but I seriously doubt unless Beth Soft decided to skip the testing phase which I also seriously doubt

also the MX series isn't all bad..ok not good compared to today's cards but I'll have you know that 3-4 years ago MX was on top the Nvidia card list...and my 64MB 440MX card plays Morrowind on all high settings and many other games too...except of course the most recent games :(

double and triple posting = 2 or 3 posts from the same member one after another...unless the first post was made yesterday and then the second post a day later or so...spamming is mainly posting useless text or many posts saying the same thing and so on

the Radeon 9600 should play this game and with decent settings

also the oblivion.exe isn't corrupt...due to a virus ironically also being named Oblivion.exe, anti-virus and such think the .exe is the virus, not the game...then again I haven't had first hand experience with oblivion...yet so it could be corrupt but I seriously doubt unless Beth Soft decided to skip the testing phase which I also seriously doubt

also the MX series isn't all bad..ok not good compared to today's cards but I'll have you know that 3-4 years ago MX was on top the Nvidia card list...and my 64MB 440MX card plays Morrowind on all high settings and many other games too...except of course the most recent games :(

*sigh*

Can someone answer my question regarding FX 5500 please? Remember. after i pay my expenses, i'm usually broke lol..

I am aware, Robin, that the Geforce FX Series is blarney.. Unfortunately, i am a 21 year old Irish male, paying his own way through graduate school, paying for his own bills, his own home, every expense that a human adult has. Sadly, those take first priority.

I'm aware of monetary problems -- I'm 19 paying my way through Exeter University, both accommodation and tuition fees and everything else inbetween.

Regarding the FX series, I have no idea, all I'll say is that I'd be surprised if it did work.

also the MX series isn't all bad..ok not good compared to today's cards but I'll have you know that 3-4 years ago MX was on top the Nvidia card list...and my 64MB 440MX card plays Morrowind on all high settings and many other games too...except of course the most recent games

The MX series was designed for graphic designers and the like and then deceptively marketted by nVidia to the gaming world, and lots of people took the bait. The MX series was for business, the Ti series was for gaming and, obviously, a lot of people bought the MX series since all they looked at was the memory capacity ("OH LOOK! A 128MB GFX card! It must be good!") and price, and not the actual performance of the cards.

Honestly. The MX series was bad!

Right.

So, i could either get a ATI Radeon 9250 video card that doesn't support DirectX 9, or i could get a FX 5500 card that does support DirectX 9, but as you say, is blarney., although both fit my price range, although the ATI card stretches out my budget

Honestly, i'm torn.

The only others i have found are for AGP. I do not have an AGP slot. So that is definately out.

But if the Geforce FX series cards won't play, why the bleeding hades does it say it's compatible with Oblivion????(insert caplocks)

Final Edit

OBLIVION : WINDOWS XP : RESOLUTION 23507

Q: Performance issues on systems with an Nvidia FX card.

A: The game does indeed work on every FX card, but the performance may not be what you want depending on your PC.(Dullahan's Note: Remember, i never said i expected perfection) We suggest upgrading to a better FX card (see list of FX "Performance" cards below) or even a card above that.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra

GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

GeForce FX 5900

GeForce FX 5900 XT

GeForce PCX 5900

GeForce FX 5700 Ultra

GeForce FX 5700

GeForce FX 5700LE

GeForce PCX 5750

Try these tips to improve performance on a system with an Nvidia FX series card.

1. Set the game options to run at the lowest possible settings. Set the game resolution to 640 x 480, low detail, and shadows off.

2. Run a scandisk and defrag on the hard drive

3. Shut down all background applications and processes before launching the game.

4. Make sure your processor and memory are above the minimum required, that will help offset the performance issues with the video card.

5. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the video card installed.

Straight from www.support.bethesda.com

Does anyone have anything to say about this?

Please, amuse me.

I would not recommend the Radeon 9250. My card is a Radeon 9600 Pro, and it can just about handle the game at fairly low graphics settings (the installer told me quite bluntly that my system setup was best suited for low quality graphics). I posted a screenshot of the effect I get when looking at landscapes - fortunately I quite like the effect.

The Radeon 9600 is, however, listed as supported, whereas the 9250 is not.

I would not recommend the Radeon 9250. My card is a Radeon 9600 Pro, and it can just about handle the game at fairly low graphics settings (the installer told me quite bluntly that my system setup was best suited for low quality graphics). I posted a screenshot of the effect I get when looking at landscapes - fortunately I quite like the effect.

The Radeon 9600 is, however, listed as supported, whereas the 9250 is not.

Unfortunately, i really can't afford either.

I am aware, Robin, that the Geforce FX Series is blarney.. Unfortunately, i am a 21 year old Irish male, paying his own way through graduate school, paying for his own bills, his own home, every expense that a human adult has. Sadly, those take first priority.

I'm aware of monetary problems -- I'm 19 paying my way through Exeter University, both accommodation and tuition fees and everything else inbetween.

Regarding the FX series, I have no idea, all I'll say is that I'd be surprised if it did work.

also the MX series isn't all bad..ok not good compared to today's cards but I'll have you know that 3-4 years ago MX was on top the Nvidia card list...and my 64MB 440MX card plays Morrowind on all high settings and many other games too...except of course the most recent games

The MX series was designed for graphic designers and the like and then deceptively marketted by nVidia to the gaming world, and lots of people took the bait. The MX series was for business, the Ti series was for gaming and, obviously, a lot of people bought the MX series since all they looked at was the memory capacity ("OH LOOK! A 128MB GFX card! It must be good!") and price, and not the actual performance of the cards.

Honestly. The MX series was bad!

meh at the time I went to my local PC store round the corner from me and said what is the best PC I can get for £300?

at the time he gave me the K7 Asus Motherboard, 64MB Geforce 440 MX, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 80GB HDD and a few other tid bits...in the last few years I have shoved an AMD 64bit 3000+, K8X-V motherboard, corsair 512MB RAM and a 160GB SATA HDD

so I had a base package of £300 with £200 worth of upgrades...now I will be buying a £650 base package with the recent components in

but all in all the MX series hasn't done me any harm, plays games like AOE, Ghost Recon, CIV III and so on but not the latest games and that's the problem

personally I'm a Geforce man but that is all I have ever had and are the cheapest for me, such as I can grab a 512MB Geforce 6600 series PCI-e card for £75...don't know if the offer is still on and will be checking pretty soon but usually ATI's range are around £200

Archived